Heide Park

MikeC

I don't have anything against intamin prefabs as of now. El Toro and T Express (the two latest prefabs) are both great examples of wooden coasters and are generally very successful (I may need to hear an opinion of T Express from @Mega-Lite to verify the success of T Express).

Having ridden El Toro, it blends in the wooden coaster element and the over engineered element very effectively. It's perfectly smooth on the airtime hills (which is essential on a coaster that intense) then it becomes quite bumpy on the twister section (like a wooden coaster should be). I don't know why they no longer appear to manufacture them, the latest versions surely would've encouraged more.

I don't think Colossos should become defunct in this situation, surely they could make some repair... oh wait, it's Merlin. Ideally, I would hope for it to be repaired.

Then again, there is the RMC option ;)

(On a coaster this size, it could be rather brilliant)

You called?

T Express is second only to Helix in coasters I've ridden, it's brilliant. First drop is the steepest on any of the Intamins and you hit it running thanks to the cable lift (I've heard El Toro slows down as it crests the top?), these things combined make for one of the most intense drops I've ever experience. The rest of the ride is non stop intense ejector air, some moments like the first hill sustaining it for insane amounts of time. Bits inbetween the airtime are taken at silly speeds so don't have time to drag on too much. It's huge, it's brutal and it's just fantastic fun. It's not coaster perfection though, the way the air time is not consistent in every row bugs me slightly and I wish it offered a bit more variety (like the sideways airtime on Piraten). Riding it at night when you couldn't see what was coming, while reminding myself what a life changing country I was in, brought tears to my eyes and made me remember why I got into this stupid hobby.

I wouldn't say the coaster ever gets bumpy or anything, it's butter smooth all round, smoother than Balder infact and that's hardly rough.

It's so hard to find anyone who has ridden both El Toro and T Express and isn't either an American who'll die before he says El Toro isn't better or a showoff who'll say T Express to prove he's been to Korea.

Really hope this RMCing everything idea fades out soon, Wildfire left me feeling a bit dry and I'd much rather Colossos reopened, each to his own though.

• 3 weeks later...

A member of the Coasterforce forums has posted a link to a Belgium fan site. A site that states they have learned that to repair Colossos would cost "a two digit million amount" and that removal is a serious option.

http://www.pretparken.be/NL/article/1824/Toekomst

On one hand, for f**ks sake....

On the other hand, if any of this is to be believed, 10 million minimum to fix an existing coaster is going to be hard to justify, when Merlin could add something new (much less exciting and generic) and being able to advertise it as such.

If all true, I could understand it's removal, it's just a shame the replacement won't live up to Colossos and even more a shame I never got the cred.

7 minutes ago, Benin said:

Could build a RMC (or anything actually good) for the amount to fix it...

Scary that the ride requires that much to fix it though... What the hell they been doing with it?

Rumours of a woodworm infestation have been about for a while, so potentially damage from that..

I'd be more interested to know when they'd replace it to be honest.  They don't want to outright lose a major attraction for a few years; if anything, they want to expand the number of them.  Imagine what the situation would be like is Colossus or Stealth at Thorpe got SBNoed...

Each to their own, as with all rides. I personally have ridden the Heide Park Colossus and found it to be a great ride, with plenty of airtime; these large wooden coasters are "cathedrals" and it would be a shame to see that go.

TP's Colossus, a totally different beast, is a great ride and intense enough for a lot of people, and for those with strong neck muscles to keep the head against the restraint to avoid the ear banging.

• 3 months later...

The park have broken their silence on Colossos and released a video (in German) about it.

Essentially, in summer 2016, the condition of the rails was found to be a terrible state and the ride had to close immediately.  Being Intamin (presumably), it's different to other wooden coasters, takes longer and more money to repair, and requires a full track replacement amongst other things.  Heide management are awaiting a decision from the big guys at Merlin as to whether they'll be given the money to fund the repairs, and an announcement of the decision will be made on 11th January.

Part of me feels that because they've made an announcement like this, this is actually a good sign.  Maybe they already know the ride is staying, and 11th January is when work starts  / a reopening date is set.  To me, it'd feel strange to publicly say 'we're waiting on a decision from people above us about money' when it's undecided.  But who knows..

Maybe Heide are starting a civil war with Merlin and putting the pressure on them! :P 

It would say a lot though if Merlin don't fund this, it's one of the parks major attractions and I'd much rather them reopen it and see no investment for a year or 2 over getting some Peppa Pig land (which I guess is safe to presume the two slated for next year are going to Heide and Garda as they can't go to our parks)

The cost of the repairs is slated to be around a double-digit million pound number, so it's more like the cost of a new major addition than a couple of minor investments.  I wonder what would happen if Merlin decided to splash the cash on it; would it be at the expense of new ride/rides, would they use it as an excuse to retheme and remarket as a new ride or what?

Nah, that's a terrible idea quite honestly.

RMC the average/crap wood, not the very good, which I've heard Colossos is.

Nothing Merlin will add large investment wise is going to make up for losing their star attraction and biggest draw.

They need to bow their heads, pay the money and learn from this.

The only thing is it won't be a quick job. The video talks about how they have to fit into the busy schedule of the steel manufacturer, and a lot of the pine wood would need replacing and that is hard to source. Which is where I see Merlin having the issue. They'll be paying the price of a large investment and it'll take the timescale of one.

RMC may not have been mentioned because the Intamin prefab structure design is so different to that of normal woodies? Maybe that itself would prove an excessive amount of work too.

The fact it was forced shut by TUV though during an inspection says it all, maintain your rides better.

• 1 month later...

Officially confirmed by park that it's back for 2019 (video in German; no subtitles available)

www.facebook.com/HeideParkResort/videos/10155154872106629/

By the sounds of it, they considered knocking it down and replacing it with a hybrid (RMC?), but opted against it.  There might also be some minor changes to the layout, but don't quote me on that just yet...