• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

Looks great, very original theme.

Can't tell if sarcasm..

A battle of monsters around a roller coaster is pretty original. Yeah sure, the company that owns this park built a ride with a similar centre piece as a ride at another park they own. Does that really matter in the grand scheme of things? 

Is it any different to the fact that both Heide and Alton have launch coasters with almost exactly the same layout? 

19 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

Can't tell if sarcasm..

A battle of monsters around a roller coaster is pretty original. Yeah sure, the company that owns this park built a ride with a similar centre piece as a ride at another park they own. Does that really matter in the grand scheme of things? 

Eh, I wouldn't say its original. I just find it funny how we got the whole fire and wood thing going on again.

I guess props to Heide for actually refurbing and reopening the ride, I just don't think we needed any extra bells and whistles, the ride is probably the best coaster there so it reopening really is enough.

Also give it a few years and that fire effect will be running every blue moon ?

I'm not a fan of the monster/giant/turd itself, it does look too much like a rejected concept for the central Wickerman design... However the fake track bit is pretty cool...

Regarding them re-opening a ride that was SBNO for years, maybe if they'd actually maintained it? I mean, why should we praise the re-opening of something which was only shut because of the company's ineptitude at allowing their parks to actually fix problems as they happen?

Plus it's an over-rated ride anyway soooooo...

14 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Yeah sure, the company that owns this park built a ride with a similar centre piece as a ride at another park they own. Does that really matter in the grand scheme of things? 

One doesn't hurt the other I suppose, but it's lazy and unoriginal. It's the attitude that ends up with cut and paste soulless attractions (hi dungeons) which Merlin do so 'well'. You'll always get repetition in hardware as there's only so many options out there, but the theming is what gives a park it's identity and makes it unique. 

Having done something that was actually good and successful the lazy (and likely less successful the next time round) response is to copy the actual thing, rather than copy the creativity and freedom to do something new the original design team were afforded. It shows a lack of confidence in their own people and abilities.

24 minutes ago, pluk said:

One doesn't hurt the other I suppose, but it's lazy and unoriginal. It's the attitude that ends up with cut and paste soulless attractions (hi dungeons) which Merlin do so 'well'. You'll always get repetition in hardware as there's only so many options out there, but the theming is what gives a park it's identity and makes it unique. 

Having done something that was actually good and successful the lazy (and likely less successful the next time round) response is to copy the actual thing, rather than copy the creativity and freedom to do something new the original design team were afforded. It shows a lack of confidence in their own people and abilities.

Very fair point.

One has to wonder how much time played a part - the long term plan didn't have 2019 earmarked for a major theming project, so it was something that had to be slotted in I guess. If to say Wicker Man had 3 years of planning, and Colossos was only decided to reopen 18 months ago, that's significantly less time to come up with a brand new design concept. Not impossible, but obviously much quicker to modify a existing design.

You could argue that other major companies (Disney) do the exact same thing when it comes to the copy and paste attitude, and even though their quality is significantly higher, it's the same basic principle. I guess maybe I'm just more blasé about the fact than others. Of course it would be amazing to see more totally originally concepts, but I don't see it as a bad thing - just a less good thing.

• 2 weeks later...