X-est

JoshC.

It's inevitable that for every new ride we get there will be some kind of angle, although if you can tell me what exactly the angle is for Kobra at Chessington then you get brownie points.

Chessie's first new ride that isn't crap since 2004... That's the angle :)

• 2 months later...

Just some food for thought after the start of discussion from the 2011 new ride topic...With this Storm Surge ride having the capability of my marketed as the “World’s tallest Rapids Ride”, in is yet another step into the X-est direction.Go all the way back to the days of RMC, in 1995, when Project X was coming to light. Little did anyone know that this would end up being, in my eyes, the biggest project for the park – as not only did it attract everyone’s attention towards the park, it created a formula for the park that they seem to follow by the word now...Needless to say Project X opened in 1996 as X:\ No Way Out. It was the “World’s first backwards and in the dark roller coaster”. Now why do I think it was the biggest project for the park? Well, RMC were a small company in comparison to Tussauds and Merlin – in fact, they were just small. Also, it really did turn heads. Popularity of the park increased greatly, and Thorpe Park was slowly being ‘put on the map’, so to say. It was the only attraction since Thunder River, yes, all the way back in 1987, which led to no new attraction the following year. I’d go as far to say that X:\ No Way Out gave Tussauds more of an incentive to buy Thorpe Park in 1997; the park has well and truly showed its potential.Anyway, back to the point in hand. X:\ No Way Out was a “First”. You then jump to 1999, the introduction of Pirates 4D. Such a simple, and common, attraction everywhere now. However, it was the “First 4D experience” in the UK. A big marketing campaign about “You have to FEEL it to believe it” was set. We then go to 2000. Tidal Wave dominated the landscape at Thorpe – as hard as it is for some to believe now. However, it was the first ‘X-est’ from the park. Marketed as “Europe’s tallest Water Ride” – and at 85ft, it of course was. Now, the big one, the ride that many say truly put Thorpe ‘on the map’. Colossus. If you’re on here, you should know it was the “World’s first 10 looping roller coaster”. Sound similar? Sound like the other major ride from 8 years ago? Thought so.2003 brings us Nemesis Inferno. Is it a world first? No. Is it a European first? No. Is it in anyway an X-est? No. Yet it still ends up being the “World’s greatest roller coaster experience”. Needless to say that compared to its twin, that is a big bowl of baloney. But doesn’t it sound a lot like the two other major coasters? Fast forward to 2005 and we are presented with the great S&S attractions that are Slammer and Rush. But of course, they’re no ordinary rides, they’re yet other ones for the record books. Slammer, “Europe’s first Sky Swat” and Rush, the “World’s tallest Screamin’ Swing”. Yet another first as well as the first “World X-est” the park introduces. And we still had Project Stealth to come next year...Hmm, can anyone remember what we had in 2006? It was this small attraction, but the name always escapes me. Something odd, like... Humdinger? :D Oh wait, that’s it, Project Stealth is Stealth. Anyone remember how it was marketed? Ah yes, “Europe’s tallest and fastest launch coaster”. Might I actually compliment the park here, as many thought – and still to this very day – think it is the tallest and fastest coaster in Europe, but many seem to forget about the ugly PMBO. But anyway, 2 more X-est records for the park. What’s this, 2 quiet years... IN A ROW!? Go steady Thorpe.But, as we all know, 2009 was the year many were waiting for. A brilliantly themed coaster. Many argue that we did not get that, but hey, that’s beside the point here, 2 more records for the park. The “World’s first horror-movie themed roller coaster” and the “World’s steepest free-fall drop in the world”. Not only that, but it is the “most extreme one”. So here we have yet another first, and yet another X-est. Again, I’d like to stand up for the park here, and say how the media unfairly used Mumbo Jumbo’s opening (of the steepest drop – which is controlled – in the World) to attack the latter claim. 2010. The park fit in yet ANOTHER first – the “World’s first all-year round horror maze”. Not only that, but it is the “most extreme one”. Really start to tire of this marketing spew that it’s a FIRST!!And then, 2011, we could be seeing the “World’s tallest Rapid Ride” plastered over. Lovely...Actually, I’ve forgotten how you’ve got the UK’s tallest Log Flume in Loggers Leap – just thought I’d throw that in here. :DSo, to list everything I’ve said. Here are all the ‘Firsts’ the park have had:World’s first backwards and in the dark coaster (X:\ No Way Out)UK’s first 4D cinema (Pirates 4D)World’s first 10 looping roller coaster (Colossus)Europe’s first Sky Swat (Slammer)World’s first horror-themed coaster (Saw – The Ride)World’s first year-round horror maze (Saw Alive)And all the X-est:Tallest Log Flume in the UK (Loggers Leap)Tallest Water Ride in Europe (Tidal Wave)Tallest Screamin’ Swing in the World (Rush)Tallest and Fastest Launch coaster in Europe (Stealth)Steepest free-fall drop (Saw – The Ride)And, possibly, the Tallest Rapids Ride in the World (2011 attraction)So, why am I saying all this? Well, I’m not only peed off with the constant “We’ve got the first, we’ve got the X-est, that means it’s the best” marketing. However, what I’m worrying about is that doing all this is stopping Thorpe from advancing. They seem so caught up in getting these Firsts and these X-est that they may slowly blind themselves and forget that a theme park doesn’t need to have those things. Look at Chessie, they are doing exceptional well. AT, similar to Thorpe, yet they only do it every 4 years – thankfully. I’d also go as far to say look at places such as Oakwood and Drayton Manor. They are doing very well, and only have what, one of these X-est or Firsts in the park – if that. If they had the marketing and investment that the Merlin parks receive, they’d be real threats towards Thorpe. Also, with the 2012 coaster, which looks like to be the B&M prototype of their version of an Intamin wing rider. You can already smell the First or the X-est in it somehow. So Please, Thorpe Park, don’t go down the route where everything is X-est this, First that. It really is not the way a theme park should, could, or will work out. (Oh, and one more thing, thanks for reading :D).

#The lie is that Saw Alive wasn't the first year round horror maze. I have been on plenty.

Just some food for thought after the start of discussion from the 2011 new ride topic...With this Storm Surge ride having the capability of my marketed as the “World’s tallest Rapids Ride”, in is yet another step into the X-est direction.Go all the way back to the days of RMC, in 1995, when Project X was coming to light. Little did anyone know that this would end up being, in my eyes, the biggest project for the park – as not only did it attract everyone’s attention towards the park, it created a formula for the park that they seem to follow by the word now...Needless to say Project X opened in 1996 as X:\ No Way Out. It was the “World’s first backwards and in the dark roller coaster”. Now why do I think it was the biggest project for the park? Well, RMC were a small company in comparison to Tussauds and Merlin – in fact, they were just small. Also, it really did turn heads. Popularity of the park increased greatly, and Thorpe Park was slowly being ‘put on the map’, so to say. It was the only attraction since Thunder River, yes, all the way back in 1987, which led to no new attraction the following year. I’d go as far to say that X:\ No Way Out gave Tussauds more of an incentive to buy Thorpe Park in 1997; the park has well and truly showed its potential.Anyway, back to the point in hand. X:\ No Way Out was a “First”. You then jump to 1999, the introduction of Pirates 4D. Such a simple, and common, attraction everywhere now. However, it was the “First 4D experience” in the UK. A big marketing campaign about “You have to FEEL it to believe it” was set. We then go to 2000. Tidal Wave dominated the landscape at Thorpe – as hard as it is for some to believe now. However, it was the first ‘X-est’ from the park. Marketed as “Europe’s tallest Water Ride” – and at 85ft, it of course was. Now, the big one, the ride that many say truly put Thorpe ‘on the map’. Colossus. If you’re on here, you should know it was the “World’s first 10 looping roller coaster”. Sound similar? Sound like the other major ride from 8 years ago? Thought so.2003 brings us Nemesis Inferno. Is it a world first? No. Is it a European first? No. Is it in anyway an X-est? No. Yet it still ends up being the “World’s greatest roller coaster experience”. Needless to say that compared to its twin, that is a big bowl of baloney. But doesn’t it sound a lot like the two other major coasters? Fast forward to 2005 and we are presented with the great S&S attractions that are Slammer and Rush. But of course, they’re no ordinary rides, they’re yet other ones for the record books. Slammer, “Europe’s first Sky Swat” and Rush, the “World’s tallest Screamin’ Swing”. Yet another first as well as the first “World X-est” the park introduces. And we still had Project Stealth to come next year...Hmm, can anyone remember what we had in 2006? It was this small attraction, but the name always escapes me. Something odd, like... Humdinger? :D Oh wait, that’s it, Project Stealth is Stealth. Anyone remember how it was marketed? Ah yes, “Europe’s tallest and fastest launch coaster”. Might I actually compliment the park here, as many thought – and still to this very day – think it is the tallest and fastest coaster in Europe, but many seem to forget about the ugly PMBO. But anyway, 2 more X-est records for the park. What’s this, 2 quiet years... IN A ROW!? Go steady Thorpe.But, as we all know, 2009 was the year many were waiting for. A brilliantly themed coaster. Many argue that we did not get that, but hey, that’s beside the point here, 2 more records for the park. The “World’s first horror-movie themed roller coaster” and the “World’s steepest free-fall drop in the world”. Not only that, but it is the “most extreme one”. So here we have yet another first, and yet another X-est. Again, I’d like to stand up for the park here, and say how the media unfairly used Mumbo Jumbo’s opening (of the steepest drop – which is controlled – in the World) to attack the latter claim. 2010. The park fit in yet ANOTHER first – the “World’s first all-year round horror maze”. Not only that, but it is the “most extreme one”. Really start to tire of this marketing spew that it’s a FIRST!!And then, 2011, we could be seeing the “World’s tallest Rapid Ride” plastered over. Lovely...Actually, I’ve forgotten how you’ve got the UK’s tallest Log Flume in Loggers Leap – just thought I’d throw that in here. :DSo, to list everything I’ve said. Here are all the ‘Firsts’ the park have had:World’s first backwards and in the dark coaster (X:\ No Way Out)UK’s first 4D cinema (Pirates 4D)World’s first 10 looping roller coaster (Colossus)Europe’s first Sky Swat (Slammer)World’s first horror-themed coaster (Saw – The Ride)World’s first year-round horror maze (Saw Alive)And all the X-est:Tallest Log Flume in the UK (Loggers Leap)Tallest Water Ride in Europe (Tidal Wave)Tallest Screamin’ Swing in the World (Rush)Tallest and Fastest Launch coaster in Europe (Stealth)Steepest free-fall drop (Saw – The Ride)And, possibly, the Tallest Rapids Ride in the World (2011 attraction)So, why am I saying all this? Well, I’m not only peed off with the constant “We’ve got the first, we’ve got the X-est, that means it’s the best” marketing. However, what I’m worrying about is that doing all this is stopping Thorpe from advancing. They seem so caught up in getting these Firsts and these X-est that they may slowly blind themselves and forget that a theme park doesn’t need to have those things. Look at Chessie, they are doing exceptional well. AT, similar to Thorpe, yet they only do it every 4 years – thankfully. I’d also go as far to say look at places such as Oakwood and Drayton Manor. They are doing very well, and only have what, one of these X-est or Firsts in the park – if that. If they had the marketing and investment that the Merlin parks receive, they’d be real threats towards Thorpe. Also, with the 2012 coaster, which looks like to be the B&M prototype of their version of an Intamin wing rider. You can already smell the First or the X-est in it somehow. So Please, Thorpe Park, don’t go down the route where everything is X-est this, First that. It really is not the way a theme park should, could, or will work out. (Oh, and one more thing, thanks for reading :D).

#The lie is that Saw Alive wasn't the first year round horror maze. I have been on plenty.

• 2 months later...