Backstories

MiniShinny

Well, obviously that is how it should be done. Thorpe Park is actually a terrible theme park compared to others thanks to their lazy view on theme and experience. However, recently this seems to have been changed for the better. Still not as good as it could be, but Saw alone has shown that they can pull off something good if they tried.Recently Nick Varney said in an interview that: "A ride like Rita at Alton Towers, whilst being a brilliant coaster is not really a themed ride - theming was an afterthought - and I can’t think we would add a ride without a story now." This is promising for future rides, including Thorpe Park's own LC12. X Raptor at Gardaland and Krake at Heide Park already show signs of big backstories and theming. All good stuff.

It was Mark Fisher not Nick Varney :P. Thorpe Park aren't really a 'Theme' Park anymore they've gone down the 'Thrill' Park route so we won't see as much theming or backstories as in the other Merlin parks. They have themed the SAW attractions very well so yeah it is very nice to see that. Will we see theming of that scale in 2012? I don't think so, but we do need some theming, but they are a thrill park now so what matters really is the coaster itself (saying this from their point of view). There may be a backstory but immaculate theming ...not not so sure. I can see a clever backstory going in if the apocalypse theme shown in the poster is to be the ride's theme.

Oops, yes, Mark Fisher.Posted ImageWell, you say Thorpe Park is a "thrill" park and therefore not a theme park. I don't see how being a park aimed more at people who want big thrills means they cannot be a theme park anymore. A "thrill" park can still be a world class theme park, and there are many examples of theme parks that are much more thrilling than Thorpe but also have brilliant design and themework.Also, it isn't as if Thorpe Park's target age market don't care at all about theming. Yes, a significant number of people in Britain are a bit ignorant about theming but they do notice it is there. It makes a massive difference to a ride/experience nonetheless. Also, a theme park is meant to be well themed, it is the main purpose of a theme park to have a sense of escapism and visual pleasure. That is why Chessington did so well when it first opened, people had both the big thrills and the sense of adventure. Thorpe Park were getting somewhere after Tussaudes got hold of it, but then Tussaudes became lazy and half-arsed, meaning most of the developments that were carried out are extremely bad in terms of theming.After all, the easiest option is to do quick and easy theming and focus more on a quick thrill, is it not? That is the easy way out, so I guess that is what Thorpe Park did now and then. I mean, things like Slammer were by no means cheap, but now it looks awful and has a terribly boring queueline, the whole thing is unimaginative. Whereas Saw is an extremely popular ride, yet the actual coaster is fairly unthrilling. People like it because it delivers the whole package - ride and themework together.In my opinion, Thorpe Park is still a theme park, and not an amusement park. They just need to get back up to a good theming standard as well as continuing to build their thrill rides that the GP seem to love so much.

I do believe it was at 'Behind the Loops' back in 2008 Thorpe said that they are not a theme park, nor an amusement park. They probably wouldn't even class themselves as a thrill park.They classed themselves as an 'experience park' (can anyone who actually went confirm / deny this?). They aim to give a variety of experiences, not just thrills. For example, you can experience a horror-film themed roller coaster, and a maze based around it. You can then experience being launched up 200ft in under 8 seconds. You can experience this, experience that, etc. etc.If they are an 'experience park', then theming is part of the experience. Theming is part of the experience whenever you are on any sort of ride, even the little fairground rides. So yeah, even if Thorpe aren't a 'theme' park, they still have much reason to theme their rides..

I dont think Thorpes an awful theme park and I do still think its a theme park because they dont just have random bright colored coasters with nothing but a queue they do try and add abit of theming they just are really bad at it to them they add a few bricks and metal and a few sound effects Bam you got theming but unless it a completely enclosed ride like THE MUMMY: THE RIDE then I dont think other than the queue theres theming to be added? point out if I'm wrong cos apparently ive been classed as a troll :L

They classed themselves as an 'experience park' (can anyone who actually went confirm / deny this?). They aim to give a variety of experiences, not just thrills. For example, you can experience a horror-film themed roller coaster, and a maze based around it. You can then experience being launched up 200ft in under 8 seconds. You can experience this, experience that, etc. etc.

Yep, this is what was said at Behind the Loops

I dont think Thorpes an awful theme park and I do still think its a theme park because they dont just have random bright colored coasters with nothing but a queue they do try and add abit of theming they just are really bad at it to them they add a few bricks and metal and a few sound effects Bam you got theming but unless it a completely enclosed ride like THE MUMMY: THE RIDE then I dont think other than the queue theres theming to be added? point out if I'm wrong cos apparently ive been classed as a troll :L

Whilst I see what you mean, I would say they can add so much more. For example, look at Saw's queue. They add so much more than metal and sound effects, and it does help add to the experience of it all. Then you look at Amity Cove. Look at the shark they installed this season outside KFC. Brilliant touch of theming there. Then there's the 'Calamity Cove' sign, another nice touch. Whilst I get what you mean, there's much more theming that can be added.

Whilst I see what you mean, I would say they can add so much more. For example, look at Saw's queue. They add so much more than metal and sound effects, and it does help add to the experience of it all. Then you look at Amity Cove. Look at the shark they installed this season outside KFC. Brilliant touch of theming there. Then there's the 'Calamity Cove' sign, another nice touch. Whilst I get what you mean, there's much more theming that can be added.

your right :P the shark and stuff is great especialy the KFC ceiling the way they have done it is great infact thorpes not that bad after all :D

Theming is essentially artwork and architectural design, with lots of added theming "features" and "objects" as well. It all builds up a big visual picture, and usually the more the better. You descriptive theming and then you have something interactive like effects.Well, yes! You can do loads more than just metal and sounds! That is not theming, really. If it is then it is extremely bad theming and has been done to the lowest level possible, probably to save money. No, theming has to have love and care put into it and must be visually impressive to be really good theming. Give it its own "character" to it as well.The only place where Thorpe Park have ever given something its own unique style and character is Amity Cove. Amity Cove is brilliant though. Well, for a UK park, though it is possibly on a European scale. It certainly would have been if half the effects had gone bust - they really added a lot.Although, I guess Saw is alright, too. Mostly just the inside though which I really like and always have done. It has effects and atmosphere in the queue, lighting, etc. Then the dark section is always a great and essential part of the ride.Apart from that Thorpe Park is terrible with good themework, in my opinion. Europe is getting really advanced with amazing theming, it isn't just the USA anymore. Yet, the UK went the other way and focussed less on theming, it seemed, until very recently. Well, when I say the UK I really just mean Thorpe, Alton and Chessington, pretty much thanks to the laziness of Tussaudes and the rise of Merlin. However, no where else in the UK is a really well themed park anyway, at least nothing that stands out greatly.

The only reason Thorpe themed Saw so well was because Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures had a lot to do with it, making sure everything was perfect.

yh but its not perfect it has no sotry line its just a ride with some saw features in it if I could do it over again it would be like you need to try and save someone and the only way is to board the trap (the ride) etc see thorpe park dont even need to add much to make it have a story line all they need is a few voice recordings saying that whoever is in a trap and you need to escape jigsaw to get them etc

The only reason Thorpe themed Saw so well was because Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures had a lot to do with it, making sure everything was perfect.

Where is your source for this?Thorpe Park did all their own design work and they came up with their own ideas for Saw The Ride, apart from the fact that it is based on a movie. They planned it to have an indoor section with a horror based theme, and they released concept images with their own planned appearance of the areas. Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures did not design the ride for them.So, no, Saw was not "only well themed because Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures were involved", although the movie companies would have obviously kept watch over the plans that Thorpe were coming up with and had their say on certain parts of the ride. However, it was Merlin's art department that designed Saw and it is thanks to them that Saw is as well themed as it is, not because of Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures. Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures may have pushed the boundaries for them a bit though, but that is as far as I think they could have influenced the ride.Posted Image

yh but its not perfect it has no sotry line its just a ride with some saw features in it if I could do it over again it would be like you need to try and save someone and the only way is to board the trap (the ride) etc see thorpe park dont even need to add much to make it have a story line all they need is a few voice recordings saying that whoever is in a trap and you need to escape jigsaw to get them etc

The ride has a story line, though it is somewhat unclear and disjointed. Outside, we are police officers exploring a warehouse. Inside, we become thrill hunters who don't respect our lives. Then, we board a 'mechanical device, from which there is no escape'. The pre-show that you receive seems to hint that the ride is 'what happens if (we) lose', though at the end, 'we survive'. The TVs at the exit stairs say that the game has just begun, alluding to something else (ie, Saw Alive), which ends up exploring Jigsaw's warehouse further, and seeing others subject to traps (or something like that). So yeah, the storyline isn't great, but there is one. Remember, the theme had to fit around the ride, the queue and everything else, not the other way round.