The Smiler

th13teen

Well from various interviews and comments from John and Morwenna (Thirteen event for example), SW7 will see a return to the thrill seeker market and will most likely be a World's First of some kind or at least be unique in some way. I personally think it's a bit too soon to consider SW8, seeing as they're still planning their next secret weapon.I wouldn't completely rule out parts of the valley being used for some elements of a coaster/ ride in the future, it would literally take a design miracle along with an incredibly extensive planning application process- just like all of Alton's other Secret Weapons.I'd love for Alton to try something a bit different in terms of theme for the ride, Alton have a lot of sinister/ dark themes going on and I'd love to see them try something a bit kooky and tongue in cheek, just to play devil's advocate there and break a common cliche of thrill rides and sinister themes.

Well from various interviews and comments from John and Morwenna (Thirteen event for example), SW7 will see a return to the thrill seeker market and will most likely be a World's First of some kind or at least be unique in some way. I personally think it's a bit too soon to consider SW8, seeing as they're still planning their next secret weapon.I wouldn't completely rule out parts of the valley being used for some elements of a coaster/ ride in the future, it would literally take a design miracle along with an incredibly extensive planning application process- just like all of Alton's other Secret Weapons.I'd love for Alton to try something a bit different in terms of theme for the ride, Alton have a lot of sinister/ dark themes going on and I'd love to see them try something a bit kooky and tongue in cheek, just to play devil's advocate there and break a common cliche of thrill rides and sinister themes.

I agree I think Alton could really do with a light hearted themed area that is not to childish. Some like the stealth side of amity cove at thorpe.

I'd love for Alton to try something a bit different in terms of theme for the ride, Alton have a lot of sinister/ dark themes going on and I'd love to see them try something a bit kooky and tongue in cheek, just to play devil's advocate there and break a common cliche of thrill rides and sinister themes.

Let's be honest, it's not entirely Towers' fault that everytime they do some excavation/restoration work some ancient being appears wreaking havoc and becomes a central part of the ride...

Haha Benin!I do agree with Mikey, the evil force / monster theme is getting a bit old. I can see Alton Towers installing an indoor rollercoaster that is centered around a monster in the cellar / basement / crypt :) that is family-thrilling and well-themed. I can see Alton installing a well-themed water coaster with indoor section and rollercoaster section, replacing the Flume.As for a thrilling rollercoaster, I can see Alton Towers installing a multi-inverting, ground-hugging Floorless coaster; it could be the AT equivalent to Thorpe Park's Colossus. I really think Alton Towers could use a multi-inverting, ground-hugging Floorless rollercoaster because it would allow them to make use of terrain, foot-choppers and its an overall, good thrill ride that will appeal to AT's teen and older market.

Haha Benin!I do agree with Mikey, the evil force / monster theme is getting a bit old. I can see Alton Towers installing an indoor rollercoaster that is centered around a monster in the cellar / basement / crypt :) that is family-thrilling and well-themed. I can see Alton installing a well-themed water coaster with indoor section and rollercoaster section, replacing the Flume.As for a thrilling rollercoaster, I can see Alton Towers installing a multi-inverting, ground-hugging Floorless coaster; it could be the AT equivalent to Thorpe Park's Colossus. I really think Alton Towers could use a multi-inverting, ground-hugging Floorless rollercoaster because it would allow them to make use of terrain, foot-choppers and its an overall, good thrill ride that will appeal to AT's teen and older market.

If you can see all that, I want your glasses!

Some rumours / some facts regarding SW7/AT Development at the moment:- Morwenna Angove indicated that they were looking at installing SW7 for the 2013 season, and pre-planning work was to begin in June/July 2010.- John Wardley has allegedly been seen in the car park behind Air, with a team from Intamin.- The ride will be a return to out-and-out thrill for the first time since 2005's Rita.- The 2009 public development consultation showed several areas available for development of large scale rollercoasters.- 2011 is a "small" year in terms of developments.- 2012 is a "medium" year in terms of developments. Morwenna Angove stated that this is a potential year for re-development of the Black Hole site.

If we get another Intamin I will roast eye balls on the grill then eat them immediately after! Intamin are too keen to get their rides finished and that results in problems. Look at Intimdator 305 and Th13teen, those had problems with overspeeding and weight isues, which lead to trims being added. B&M tend to be very careful careful when developing new rides and they don't have issues like that as a result. Look at Nemesis, that didn't really have any problems like that and it actually made it back to the station with no problems in it's first test run. Of course it had teething problems but all rides do when they are new. Sure Intamin have created some amazing coasters but they are not as careful. But with JW on board, we may see less problems that they have caused with other rides (excluding th13teen). I know it's only a rumor that JW was seen with guys from Intamin but do we really want another Intamin? Mack or B&M, if one of those manufacture SW7 then we will be in for something amazing in 2013 :).

Alton Towers could go for some sort of LSM/Lift Hill combo like Maverick/iSpeed. That way, they'd not have need for the height - as the LSM would help get the cars up to adequate speed.I fail to see what B&M could offer AT - since AT always want a Unique Selling Point - now that B&M have dished out two (presumably) prototypes to Gardaland and Thorpe Park.Alton need out-and-out thrill, and I would say Intamin are best placed to do that even if on the whole I prefer Mack and B&M.

I think the idea of a B&M prototype is ruled out because if Thorpe park were getting one, I doubt B&M would simultaneously work on two similar projects in the same country!B&M floorless sounds great, although a little too much to expect if you ask me. I'm stuck for ideas really as Alton Towers has a wide range of great coasters.My perfect SW7 would be a woodie which is really long, packed with airtime and makes great use of the terrain.Unforunately woodies "aren't safe"I hate the general public! :)

I think the idea of a B&M prototype is ruled out because if Thorpe park were getting one, I doubt B&M would simultaneously work on two similar projects in the same country!

Of course, B&M couldn't POSSIBLY be working on something ELSE at the same time...Let alone the fact that Thorpe aren't even getting a prototype :) And that sounds like a great business idea... Being offered money to build something but turning it down because you're already building something in the same country... It seems now that Towers has a thing for "one of a kind" rides considering their background and pedigree with their more original rides that Tussauds gave us... It is probably likely that it'll have something unique... Though maybe we can hope for something alone Nemesis' uniqueness rather than a cheap one-trick pony a la Thirteen (and even Oblivion to a degree, though that's epic every time)...Honestly though, we have no idea what can happen... We cannot simply base our ideas and wants on pre-existing products... I doubt many people imagined Gardaland would get a Wing-Rider from B&M this year... And the same can be said of many other parks and new rides...

How can you be so sure though? :)

Sorry, I'm obviously mistaken with all those construction images we keep seeing from Gardaland...Prototype means FIRST... Basically anything after X-Raptor using the same style should be more deemed like a Version 2... Similar to how Sheikra's/Griffon's floorless and bigger trains are Version 2 types of Oblivion... Just an upgrade on a pre-existing model using different techniques and the like...It's like saying the whatever the next form of the iPod Nano is a prototype... In the TRUE sense of the word, it isn't as it's just a smaller version of the existing technology, using advances to improve the power and reduce the size simulataneously...Adding spinning seats to X-Raptor trains (should that be what Thorpe get, it's not exactly confirmed) is simply an upgrade using different techniques to 'improve' the experience... Personally I hope it doesn't happen, as X (the original version, as that's what I've ridden) wasn't particularly that great... Dunno if X2 improved matters, but it I wouldn't be excited about that a lot... That's me going off the point though...In short, X-Raptor is a prototype, like Air and Oblivion... Improved versions of these exist, but those one's aren't termed prototypes are they?

Surely if Thorpe got X Raptor with spinning seats, it would become a B&M 4D Prototype!?However, we have no idea for Thorpe yet as has been stated.As for Towers - a B&M would surely make sense - who knows, they could have signed a 4-ride deal with B&M for Gardaland/Heide/Thorpe/Alton, but I doubt it. I think Intamin are more likely now as they seem more willing to push crazy ideas about which we all know Alton love.My money is on the testing phase to take place on a car park in Eastern Europe.

We know Thorpe Park are getting X-Raptor V2!! I posted ages ago, a foreign article about how Gardaland are getting a prototype in 2011 and Thorpe Park will get the V2 that come with spinning seats. Thorpe's version will take everything they have learned about Gardaland's version and they will give the improved version to Thorpe Park. They only built the prototype at Gardaland so they can use it as a test model. B&M even gave Gardaland a huge discount to sweeten the deal. So far everything has come true and when the rest come true, gurl can sit down and be quiet. The only thing I'm gonna say is doubters gonna doubt :)

That is what Thorpe Park are getting according to the article. Gardaland is getting the prototype and they got it at a discounted rate and B&M would take what they learned from the ride and would put that into Thorpe Park's version. Except Thorpe's version would have spinning seats.Why does it make sense if it were for the Towers? For all any of us know, Thorpe Park could be getting a B&M 4D Coaster / Spinning Wing-Rider.

The article that I posted a while back states that B&M are building their own version of the 4D rollercoaster. S&S Arrow (S&S and Arrow Dynamics) built their last 4D rollercoaster in 2006 and their next one is in 2011 for the China Dinosaur Park. B&M might very well be developing a 4D Coaster / Wing-Rider with spinning seats for Thorpe Park, but nothing has been confirmed yet.B&M has developed a Wing-Rider rollercoaster for Gardaland called X-Raptor and it looks amazing. If something like this or better comes to Thorpe Park, I'd be very happy knowing how reliable and amazing B&M's are.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...