The Smiler

th13teen

Yes Alton Towers still edges popularity for theme parks in the UK but Thorpe Park is gaining popularity fast whereas Alton Towers is gradually loosing popularity because 1.) Their taking too long thesedays to unveil new rollercoasters and secondly the rollercoasters they are opening they've concentrated too much on inovation and making them a worlds 1st and lots of theming etc.. but they havnt been particularly exhilerating rides! Am I alone in thinking that both AIR and Th13teen are both very underwhelming, particularly 13 once you know the drop in the dark is there its no good anymore and Air had that unfinished proto-type feeling when it opened too short and not enougth drops.

Yes Alton Towers still edges popularity for theme parks in the UK but Thorpe Park is gaining popularity fast whereas Alton Towers is gradually loosing popularity because 1.) Their taking too long thesedays to unveil new rollercoasters and secondly the rollercoasters they are opening they've concentrated too much on inovation and making them a worlds 1st and lots of theming etc.. but they havnt been particularly exhilerating rides! Am I alone in thinking that both AIR and Th13teen are both very underwhelming, particularly 13 once you know the drop in the dark is there its no good anymore and Air had that unfinished proto-type feeling when it opened too short and not enougth drops.

Alton Towers used to follow a formula of 4 years between major projects. The only exception of this is the time between Air and Rita, which was 3 years. Thirteen was an extra year, although it put the time-scale back on track for large developments. I would imagine Alton are now following a 3 year rotation of large investment, much like Thorpe. I don't personally see Secret Weapons as exclusively rollercoasters, but would like to think they could represent any large investment attraction.I don't agree that Alton have worried too much about themeing, Air hardly has any, Thirteen is good where it exists but the whole concept is very vague and fragmented. I love Air and Thirteen, but do agree with you that they're underwhelming once you've tried some of the other great rides at Alton Towers.Alton Towers always has and always will be a family park- something for everyone, and will reap the rewards of being so.

There is so much crap in this topic now it's unreal. Where are people coming from when they post this stuff. ;) Firstly:-

Alton Towers is the most popular theme park in the UK. I would say that what they have done there, as such, is fairly successful...

All the ground work has been done in the last 30 years and has NOTHING to do with Merlin. From John Broome adding a double looping rollercoaster in 1980 to Tussauds throwing in Europes first inverted rollercoaster. Merlin have added pirates, a random cuckoo area and a family rollercoaster with bells and whistles. Merlin, if anything, are sucking off Alton's reputation, and sucking it dry.

1.) Their taking too long thesedays to unveil new rollercoasters and secondly the rollercoasters they are opening they've concentrated too much on inovation and making them a worlds 1st and lots of theming etc.. but they havnt been particularly exhilerating rides! Am I alone in thinking that both AIR and Th13teen are both very underwhelming, particularly 13 once you know the drop in the dark is there its no good anymore and Air had that unfinished proto-type feeling when it opened too short and not enougth drops.

I mean honestly. Are you for real? Air, to this day remains one of the most popular rollercoasters the UK has ever seen. 10 seasons on it will have the busiest queues of any ride on park despite its large throughput. Yeah, so what enthusiasts don't rave about it? The public love it. And what, Thorpe throw coaster after coaster after coaster at their park and somehow they are better. Quantity isn't everything and Inferno, Stealth and Colossus can't hold a candle to Nemesis, Oblivion and Air in terms of ride quality.

Alton Towers always has and always will be a family park- something for everyone, and will reap the rewards of being so.

Sheepie, once again hits the nail right on the head. Alton Towers, if anything, have been incredibly daring by making their new rollecoaster a family friendly attraction. It's only the advertising that has let the ride down. Family parks will have always have the edge on thrill parks because, to put it simply, rides are there to be enjoyed not just to always scare you silly.

Merlin is the company that runs Alton Towers...The fact that it's still massively popular goes to show a certain amount.Also, people are entitled to their own opinions. Saying 'are you for real?' to someone who is slightly underwhelmed by Air doesn't seem to be a good way to handle it, to be quite honest. With all due respect, you have simply stated your own opinions here as if they are some sort of fact: others might not agree that Alton Towers has been sucked dry and that Air is good just because it's popular. This isn't to say that it's bad, however, I thought Air was fantastic....Anyway, I don't necessarily disagree with you opinions, but the way you presented them could do with toning down, as referring to whoever didn't think Th13teen was incredible as saying 'crap' and being 'unreal'.

I remembered at work today that I made that last post and all I can do is apologise to you. Vodka does indeed make Mark very aggressive.That being said, I still think even if Woolworths had been running Alton it would still be as popular as it was in the 90's because Alton has a very strong brand prescense in the country. Merlin owning it is neither here nor there.To be fair though, with the Air thing, drunken Mark never stated that he likes Air, he just pointed out that the public love it.

• 2 months later...

Wow, that was an early annoucement.

I would of thought they would tell us now as the Flume probably wont open next season so they can clear it and landscape the area. Remember they closed Corkscrew in 2008 so Th13teen could open in 2010, so The Flume will probably close in 2011 for the new B&M in 2013.

I come home from the pub to this! OMFG. Thoughts...."Would fall within days" ... flume won't even see out the season maybe? Something coming on a scale that will require more than a years worth of site work?I see the Blacks Marauders hint at B+M, but it is not explicit. Lets not forget that there are more than one manufacturer based in Switzerland!!"many of whom have seen the weapon in action first hand". So maybe not quite what we are used to SW wise - something that is based on what already exists elsewhere rather than a 'worlds first'. Or has a prototype been built and viewed by the 'Marauders' who have commissioned the ride.All this reference to 'Black' makes me think there is a link to the 'hole'. Not sure what though. Something new in the tent next year in that somehow links themes towards what's coming the year after on the flume site maybe."Black admits he is unaware of how long long the weapon will take to cross the seas". Maybe a mid season opening? Or why not state to the public it would be a good idea to return in 2013?Can Alton do without a flume ride at all? Or will this be a water coaster that's not as lame as the norm, or maybe a revitalised flume interwoven or somehow duelling with a proper coaster?Whatever it all means someone somewhere deserves some brownie points for this kind of teaser promotion. To say I love it doesn't begin to cover it.

I for one hope it isn't some ostentatious monster of a B&M to be honest. No matter what the design, manufacturer, scale, etc., Alton have always prided themselves in trying to create a mysterious, other-worldly theme and fantasy about their coasters, even before Nemesis. I know there are exceptions but a coaster in the scale of a B&M hyper-coaster would look awkwardly out of place at Alton because of the lack of theme. The most they could do with it is a themed station and a few themed tunnels.But other than that, this subliminal promotion of a new ride is far more effective with the rollercoaster community than another end of the world theme.

"Would fall within days" "many of whom have seen the weapon in action first hand". So maybe not quite what we are used to SW wise - something that is based on what already exists elsewhere rather than a 'worlds first'. Or has a prototype been built and viewed by the 'Marauders' who have commissioned the ride.All this reference to 'Black' makes me think there is a link to the 'hole'. Not sure what though. Something new in the tent next year in that somehow links themes towards what's coming the year after on the flume site maybe.

I know its a bit early to be thinkin about it. But with research into it like that, makes it sound like it could have something to do with a maelstrom :) could be good. But just an idea from Pluk's research.

I was reading all the articles earlier today (they're on a massive sign on sales & info desk in mutiny bay).. and I thought it was a retheme of the flume - as others suggest taking over of the area, battling against the flume unplugged, rather than new ride.The articles, interestingly, also mention X sector.. with the lord of the darkness talking about his days being numbered due to a change in the management team and time to step down.