The Smiler

th13teen

The area I was thinking off, when I first read this, is huge.Posted ImageAs you can see the two closest B&M are next to it and their look so small compare to the size of the area.

Something that size could be amazing, but hugely unlikely simply because that is a heavily protected woodland area. More likely to cover the flume site itself, maybe pushing further up towards Katanga, avoiding all those trees. Unless this is all a red herring in terms of SW7, and merely is a rebuilt / rethemed flume for next year. Surely Alton need a flume ride, they can't just replace it with a coaster and not have one? What's the worlds tallest log flume, and could that be exceeded within Altons planning restrictions?

I'm sure the world's tallest is Perilous Plunge at Knott's Berry Farm at 121ft isn't it?But anyway that's side-tracking. You're probably right about that pluk, I think we're getting a wee bit carried away here - there's no guarantee that's the footprint of the coaster, it's just the land available. But as you say, it's most likely protected and I don't see the council letting Merlin just tear the whole forest down to make way for a coaster. I'd imagine as you say, a few of the trees to the south of The Flume and the area of land nearer Kantanga Canyon will be used, plus maybe a small protrusion into the forest if it means only a few trees will go, but I doubt we'll see much of that guessed footprint being used. I am willing to be proven wrong though. :)

I to hope it's not a B&M wing-rider, however I'd like it to be a working roller coaster... so not Intamin please Alton. :)

I'm thinking it won't be, otherwise surely we would have got the flyer in 08/09 - I thought the reason we didn't get that was because Merlin didn't want to duplicate between the parks... I wanted it so badly too... Forever bitter. :lol:Only thing that makes me slightly wary here is the 'past victory' line possibly referencing Th13teen. Plus, I think a blitz the size of Maverick might fit very nicely on that site... It's the only type of Intamin I'd actually like to see at either Thorpe or Alton in the future.

Plus, I think a blitz the size of Maverick might fit very nicely on that site... It's the only type of Intamin I'd actually like to see at either Thorpe or Alton in the future.

TP already have a beyond verticle drop and a launch coaster so a Maverick coaster wouldn't really be likely which is a shame because Maverick in my opinion looks to be one of the best coasters in the world. *braces for hate*Also AT have Rita so I don't know, doesn't look like its gonna happen, will be very interesting to see what they come up with though, fingers crossed for B&M, not that I mind Intamin :)

In my previous post I meant literally identical types of ride - I highly doubt Merlin would refuse Alton a Blitz if they wanted one just because of Saw. Also I think it's different enough in terms of experience to Rita that it could happen - Rita being an actual launch coaster with nothing else to go on, whereas Maverick still technically is a normal lift hill and drop for the first portion of the ride.I don't know, it was just a suggestion...

I think that idea would be welcomed, Adam. Especially at a park like Alton. Plus, you could imagine the first drop being the Captain's "descent" on The Flume (if it remains in tact by the end of 2013).EDIT: Technically... *technically* speaking... Maverick isn't a launched coaster of the same ilk as Rita. Maverick uses LIM electromagnets (amazing stuff, honest) as opposed to a hydraulic launch/launch-dog coaster and so not only has a much smoother launch, but a more reliable one as well. See: Blue Fire :)/coasternerd

Unless this is all a red herring in terms of SW7, and merely is a rebuilt / rethemed flume for next year. Surely Alton need a flume ride, they can't just replace it with a coaster and not have one? What's the worlds tallest log flume, and could that be exceeded within Altons planning restrictions?

Off topicMaybe a Shoot the Chute like Tidal wave to replace the flume? Or build another one in another area of the park like x-sector.On topicBy the size of the area it's likely their gonna build a huge sit down ride but maybe one like Cheetah hunt not an B&M giga because of height restrictions.

^ I saw talk of an Intamin Shoot the Chute (a la Cedar Point's Shoot The Rapids) being thrown around as an idea somewhere for replacing the flume on a different site in 2012, then SW7 taking up the Flume's site in 2013. That would be pretty cool but probably too costly to happen in reality.And Sidders, it's LSM :)

And Sidders, it's LSM :)

Linear Induction Motors (LIM)/Linear Synchronous Motors (LSM) are practically the same launch design, except LSM has one set of launch fins. Intamin AG use Linear Induction Motors to provide electrical energy to power the electromagnetic fins on their Impulse coaster so I generalised. But yes it is indeed a Linear Synchronous Motor that propels their Blitz design; I stand corrected. :blush:But I'm still very uncertain about the footprint of this new coaster. Obviously I'd love it to be a large-scale coaster (Intamin Blitz or B&M Sit-Down would be ideal), but I still want Alton to retain their reputation for building heavily themed, fantastical rides that work within the setting they're located in.

I also think that it would be sad to loose The Flume. However, a new coaster could easily interact with it, as once the world's longest flume rides, there's TONS of wasted space under that ride area.In regards to the site size, remember Alton Looked at that for the whole Gloomy Wood Vekoma bike, broomsticks idea before Rita, did they not?Wasn't that area (beyond The Flume) gardens and lake all restricted?

I would think the Flume will stay... Few of the recent rumours have mentioned it (read: none)...Would be a shame for it to go tbh, it has a lot of potential with a pirate theme, which is what I'm guessing is planned for it... A pirate takeover of the Flume rather than removal, the use of secret weapon being done to distract the enthusiasts from the REAL secret ride...Could be a good year next year if things go through...

I really want the Flume to get trashed. It's extremely dated now and I don't think any kind of retheme can save it from being a boring ride. Also, there is so much land available (even more if you cross over Haunted Hollow) that it seems a much better decision to design an exciting replacement than invest in a decaying ride.Either way, the Flume at current really needs to go rather soon. Who wants to take a 5 minute tour of some Indian balsam weeds in a boat anyway?

It's an amazing family and group ride.

Well, it isn't amazing... It looks bad, has no purpose or theme, is not worth the often hours-long queue and the whole "Share a bath tub... MMMMMMM COSEY!" is just annoying.It isn't memorable (excluding duck surprise) or unique. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't feel like it is continuous with the rest of Alton Towers in terms of theme and experience. It does not need to go for another few years, but I doubt it will be missed.

No. Hence I never make any implication in my post that I want a retheme. I would rather a secret weapon/2012 ride in that location than a mouldy log flume (albiet a fun one). Those are just my immediate thoughts. [/smiling face]Come on, give me something good to argue with here! This is Mania Hub, is it not?

Must agree I think it is well beyond a retheme being worthwhile, it really is a knackered old thing. I just think a logflume is too much of a themepark staple to not be replaced with another one of some sort, hopefully in a way that interacts with whatever SW7 brings, if indeed it is going in that area.

This is another thing, fanboys mentioning logflume replacing a logflume..Just why? The current one works, so why would they spend more than it'd cost to refurb it to replace it with exactly the same (and seemingly adding nothing of value to the park).I do love the sign though, it's definitely confusing/exciting/angering people around. Particularly as it makes the people in-the-know start questioning their own sources for 2 seconds :blush:

This is another thing, fanboys mentioning logflume replacing a logflume..Just why? The current one works, so why would they spend more than it'd cost to refurb it to replace it with exactly the same (and seemingly adding nothing of value to the park).

Why? Simply because every major themepark I can think of has a log flume and so should Alton, and I'm not sure your guess that to make it a reasonable ride would cost less than a rebuild (especially when you factor in the decreased maintenance costs it should save in the long term. It could actually pay for itself fairly quickly). I think it really is that broken and gives an awful ride at the moment.A modern logflume can be a totally different ride to a 20 year old one, depending what they want to do with it. No one thinks it is odd when the same is done with a coaster. I'm quite sure as a one off spend they could have got corkscrew running like new much cheaper than building 13, but they didn't. Because it would have been throwing money at something old and knackered that would doubtless needed a ton of maintenance money every year and not provided anything new to promote. Why could exactly the same thing not happen with a flume?Not saying that is happening, it's just a thought. But I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

I think it's more due to.. it doesn't change the rideability much. I'm sure it'd change the experience.. but there's not much they can do when they cannot cut down trees there and ultimately the drops would be the same.Has it been done before elsewhere? It's just.. I can't see it as being very marketable, most people would think it's what was previously there, and I'd imagine it'd have the same interest as a retheme (which always manages to livens up guests interest in a ride).

It would be kinda random (and in the end pointless) to replace the flume with another modern version of it... Unless they really focus on gimmicks such as backwards drops or other things, and that's not really secret weapon worthy is it?I dunno why they would replace Flume either... It might be old, but it's still popular and has been for years... It needs a refurb yes, and hence why I think it's more likely to be a retheme (with added refurb) than removal... Just have that feeling...

The only park I can think of that has replaced its Log Flume with a better model is Drayton Manor.Honestly though, why should the park stay in the past with Flume Unplugged when as one of the premier parks in Europe they could do a hell of a lot better. If you know me, you know I believe parks should retain their history and their identity but Flume isn't one of those rides. Its popular but only because its a flume ride. For years, enthusiasts have been saying Flume needs removing for something like an Aquatrax or a water coaster. Why now, when its part of a rumour, do people come out and say they actually like it. :blush: