The Smiler

th13teen

• 3 months later...

Planning applications here and here submitted for the black hole site.No details or anything, but peeps getting generally over excited over on TTF that this may well be for SW7.EDIT - :) Damn you!!!!!!

Actually, I would say most people are not under the impression that this is SW7. It certainly isn't what was the expected location for SW7.I have been in touch with Staffs Moorlands District Council, who have advised that these plans are not presently for public viewing.EDIT - it does now seem that this WILL be the site of Secret Weapon Seven, following a basic communication from Alton Towers to the local community.

IF this is SW7 (I am yet to be fully convinced), they better not take anything away from Oblivion... It would be such a shame for the park to have Oblivion lose everything that it does so well it being intimidating and what-not...Hopefully the plans will be about soon... Could be a good New Years with WLB being announced, plans for SW7 would be the icing on the cake...

If indeed this is the spot, fingers crossed that it will be a terrain hugger, as anything BIG is going to ruin Oblivion. Although that also depends on which direction the ride will go (hopefully across that blank section of path between Spinball and X-Sector).The Ropers are going to LOVE a new application on that side of the park, 'ain't they?

I'd imagine Alton is going to use the grass behind the black hole tent too right? Even though the footprint is quite large, I very much doubt this will be a tall extravagant ride like Nemesis or Oblivion, if this actually is the area for SW7. If it was big it would:1. Take away attention from Oblivon2. Look very out of place in such a compact area.I just see this being something along the lines of Rita, just not launched and hopefully with a bit more of an interesting layout. Even though it is early days, I also put my money on this being another Intamin. Even with layouts as compact as Hair Raiser, Daemonen etc. I just don't see a B&M fitting into that area well enough. Hopefully I can be proved wrong, but if this is the SW7 area, then I really can't see a ride that does Alton wonders like Nemesis or Oblivion does.

I guess it might be because it's under a GDO - makes permission easier to get in some respects, even though it will be harder in terms of noise approval. So probably overall around equally hard as it is to get permission for an area where noise isn't an issue but medieval forts or 'special' trees etc are.

I don't think Towers would want a structure of the size of the black hole tent with existing planning permission to be removed without a replacement building going in its place, as far as I am aware it is much harder for them to get permission for large buildings than it is rides and indoor space can be very valuable to the park. As the black hole tent already exists a precedent is set for that bit of land so getting planning permission for a replacement building, even if it is considerably larger, shouldn't be a problem.So I think:- The application is for the tent to be removed and replaced with another large building that will better suit Towers needs.- If this building is for SW7 it will be therefore be a largely indoor coaster, but with the odd shape of the outline some elements will stick out the side of the building. This also solves much of the noise problem.- If it is not for SW7 it is probably a speculative application to plan for a large indoor attraction in the future which they can sit on for a while (like the hotel applications).

I have a feeling that the ride is going to have a ride building just like Saw's and its going to be a Gerstlauer just like Saw... the only coaster I think could fit in that areaEDIT - the plans just got a update11/01205/CONSER - Demolition of Existing Structures (inc. Black Hole) to facilitate new rollercoaster11/01203/FUL - Demolition of Existing Structures and Installation of New Rollercoaster, including associated ground works, buildings and landscaping

Edited by LiamT

I'm looking forward to seeing the plans updated- after Christmas/ New Year. What I find interesting is that the planning outline doesn't suggest a new ride building replacing the old tent. Just "associated buildings". I would love for this to be an indoor coaster which would eradicate a majority of noise problems.If this is an outdoor coaster, I can honestly imagine more problems for the park. It does seem all rather backwards thinking, at least to me, to apply for permission to build such a big project here, whilst looking at the ongoing noise issues a select few of the neighbours have with the park.Saying that, I think this is great news, especially for X Sector and Oblivion; assuming these will get re-furbished and properly (I am looking at you Dark Forest), which as we know, has been left looking rather sorry for itself the last few years. Would be awesome for Alton to win the current court case and then for the planning permission to get approved. Big two fingers up to the Ropers! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to seeing the plans updated- after Christmas/ New Year.

Look forward no further; the plans are online!http://publicaccess....PERTY&module=P3Multiple inversions, under 25m high and with a vertical lift hill...UPDATE: From the Noise Level Report: "Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at Thorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop."Gerstlauer it is then.