The Smiler

th13teen

Maybe just personal preference but with the Colossus v Saw roughness, on Colossus if I actually brace my self against it, then I dont hit my head and I'm fine, with Saw no matter what I do, I will come off with a serious headache, my head dont even hit anything its just the jolts around the track which do my head in.

I guess rides effect people in different ways :P

I'm still fairly surprised theyve gone down the eurofighter route, with the amount of problems Saw had (before it was even handed over to thorpe, so no blaming thorpe ;)!), although hopefully with the cheaper ride hardware than if they had gone with a B&M / Intamin hopefully we will see some decent quality theming :)

Thats not what I said, but id say its more likley we are to see a very well themed ride when the ride hardware its self is much cheaper than if it was a B&M. Of course with the exception of Swarm there all out side of the UK, and Merlin UK's attitude towards them things are significantly different.

Thats not what I said, but id say its more likley we are to see a very well themed ride when the ride hardware its self is much cheaper than if it was a B&M. Of course with the exception of Swarm there all out side of the UK, and Merlin UK's attitude towards them things are significantly different.

Ignoring TPGG's ridiculous post for a second, I'm just pointing out to you Marc that I was actually kidding. The tounge in cheek nature of my post was just aimed at the fact that Gerstlauer seemed to have attained this reputation of being cheap, which they aren't. Yes they are cheaper then a B&M, but then Gerstlauer are more like Volkswagons in terms of the product.

Besides, as rides like Storm Surge has proven, cheapness doesn't automatically mean there is a higher budget for theming.

It is a shame, I think I only ever rode black hole about 3 times, all in it's last year of operation (due to height issues).

Is it just me who can't believe that Swarm has been put in to the same group as Mamba/Oz Iris/ Crystal Wings??

Swarms theming is brilliant for the UK, but other than the big set pieces, it's a bit limited. I wouldn't say it is a patch on any of them.

Have you been on swarm? I'd definately not agree with this, it might not be as elaborate as some of the others, but the attention to detail is brilliant. They really have put a lot of thought into swarm.

Is it just me who can't believe that Swarm has been put in to the same group as Mamba/Oz Iris/ Crystal Wings??

Swarms theming is brilliant for the UK, but other than the big set pieces, it's a bit limited. I wouldn't say it is a patch on any of them.

I was just using it to show that Merlin do theme their B&M's. Funny you say that actually, I was talking to Marc about this on facebook and we both said how unthemed it looks compared to the others.

X-sector looks so big :huh:

Also you can see the black hole queue going right round behind the tent and the themed kiosk!

Clear photo of the themed black hole kiosk, credit to Archive flickr photostream

Posted Image

Not long till the diggers and drills come in now!

Also you can see the black hole queue going right round behind the tent and the themed kiosk!

Had the.. privelidge?... to go in that kiosk last year.

Full of cadbury and ribena branded stuff. Was a proper blast to the past, even if it's falling to pieces. Amazed me!

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading through Wikipedia and noticed a SW7 section so took alook and found something very interesting.

Reports and multiple researches carried out by Alton Towers confirm that SW7 will be a Gerstlauer EuroFighter with 12 loops (a worlds first). It will also contain features in the seats that add an extra element. As of now, a name hasn't been leaked, nor has the complete coaster design. However, the worlds first elements are the "4th dimension" seats and the 12 loops.

Now I know anything from Wikipedia needs to be taken with a huge pinch of salt as any idiot could have written it but 4D seats could be quite interesting.