The Smiler

th13teen

They're doing the same as oblivion - post the smiler absolutely everywhere, with no connection to towers or ride name. So it gets stuck in peoples head, and they'll either wonder subconsciously what it is, or actively try and seek what it is.

Eventually, after it all soaking into their minds, it'll be linked to towers and the new coaster. It's 1998 all over again.

Hopefully this'll all work at bringing people in, otherwise they'll have to do something like turn a car backwards next season or make it go a bit faster. Oops, this isn't thorpe.

Agree with everyone absolutely awesome advertising, the way its almost graffiti'd everywhere again means it'll stick in peoples minds. I cant believe how great they've done, as doing it like this is such a new and innovative concept for advertising.

...surely eventually a bigger advertising boom will come a long, like TV ads to explain what the logo actually relates to.

I know very little about the ride itself having not followed the forums but dayumnnn that track looks good. Pretty excited to see what they come out with then give it a ride!

I would post the actual pictures here, but nothing is working for me...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA6grBdCcAEkDbx.jpg:large

This was posted on Alton Tower's Twitter page earlier.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BA6shoGCEAEf7v1.jpg:large

The logo at Covent Gardens (posted by TST member 'rightbackgranty')

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/19/4yty2y2y.jpg

The logo at London Waterloo (posted by TST member 'CoasterDan').

IT. IS. EVERYWHERE.

The stupid thing about these is half the people who aren't rollercoaster fans will be like 'what is that?'

It really should say coming to alton towers 2013 on it to be honest as I think it is poor advertising when half the people don't know what the symbol is... On facebook people don't even know what the crash pad is so I doubt many are going to know what the smiley face is about'

That is the point though, I believe.

The introduction of these faces everywhere isn't meant to be seemingly linked with the park, or a ride, or anything. The point of this 'stage' of advertising is to put that logo out there, make people recognise the logo and such. A bit like subliminal messaging. Even if you don't take particular note of it, if you see it enough, you will recognise it when AT eventually link themselves to it. People not knowing about it is the beauty and cleverness of this.

One thing which I saw on another which I really like the idea of is if the park set up a site / updated to minisite to be a webpage for The Ministry of Joy. Further create depth to the experience, as well as set up a back story and such, and it could all be done without necessarily being traced to AT. I could see that going down a treat.

Yeah, point of it is so that people just look.. and it becomes subliminal. Everytime you see it, you wonder what it is. Some people will go out of their way to try and find out.

Eventually they'll link it on tv or something, and everyone will remember the image and boom. Towers.

Same happened with oblivion. Exact. Same. Thing. It's perfect.

That SeaLife advertising... just wow! Can't say much that hasn't already been said, though this really is the best subliminal advertisement campaign I've ever seen. I'd put it above Oblivion's but then again I wasn't really there for that one.

EDIT: MarkC please appropriately reference and give credit to wherever you find images like that!

EDIT EDIT: FRED. :lol: