The Smiler

th13teen

No need to call people 'delusional' for having a different taste to you.

I personally think it fits, and it makes a nice change from THE 'DESTROYER' sort of name that every other ride has.

Plus if it gets people talking about how stupid the name is then it works as advertising for itself!

Stealth isn't exactly a great name because the ride isn't stealthy at all. It's the opposite. But do you hear people in the queue line laughing at the name? No, usually they're talking about how scared they are.

Stealth - means the form or characteristics of moving. ie Stealth moves fast like a cat would move Stealthily

Smiler - means an emotion. ie This ride is meant to make you smile instead of scare you

Bit of a difference... thus I stand by my, and pretty much I'd say 90% of the internet's opinion. Stupid name.

Stealth - means the form or characteristics of moving. ie Stealth moves fast like a cat would move Stealthily

Smiler - means an emotion. ie This ride is meant to make you smile instead of scare you

Bit of a difference... thus I stand by my, and pretty much I'd say 90% of the internet's opinion. Stupid name.

A quick google search defines Stealth as this:

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-20%20at%2021.45.

I fail to see how the ride experience matches this definition.

Either way The Smiler name matches the ride and theme a lot better than 'Stealth' does.

A quick google search defines Stealth as this:

I fail to see how the ride experience matches this definition.

Either way The Smiler name matches the ride and theme a lot better than 'Stealth' does.

How does "The Smiler" match the ride? "Stealth" at least sounds intimidating like a giant roller coaster is meant to, The Smiler in no way reflects that dark twisted beast we're seeing built..

Unless there's a story behind it as to why it's called that (which will be revealed) - which could be likely due to the ending of that video..

I LOVE the name, it's creep and mysterious which fits the ride perfectly. This whole project is looking exceptional.

Agreed. If anyone is having difficulty accepting the name just think of clowns. They're meant to be happy and funny but many people do find them scary...

How does "The Smiler" match the ride? "Stealth" at least sounds intimidating like a giant roller coaster is meant to, The Smiler in no way reflects that dark twisted beast we're seeing built..

Unless there's a story behind it as to why it's called that (which will be revealed) - which could be likely due to the ending of that video..

Have you totally missed the Ministry of Joy / The Sanctuary?

The whole purpose of the MoJ, who are behind the new ride, is that they wish to conduct marmalisation onto subjects - thus making them smile permanently. It is all about social compliance. "The Smiler" is matched to the theme/story of the ride. If they had wanted to just give it a name to match the steel, it would have just been called 'Loopy' or something!

:)

I don't think that video is real personally, but nonetheless, it is exceptional. It does fit into everything we know about the ride, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was real / what we should be expecting from videos. It did creep me out a little bit as well.

As for 'The Smiler' as a name. It fits with the idea of having something nice sounded, but really rather sinister. From what we got with The Sanctuary, I think it would fit. Personally thugh, it's not my cup of tea.

This is just jokes, sorry.

1. You need to read the entire dictionary page instead of quoting half of it.

And

2. The Smiler is just jokes. Probably going to be one of the biggest UK Park mistakes we ever see. Advertising on par with Oblivion, back story etc like Oblivion, ride name nothing like Oblivion's. Everyone clap slowly.

@holtjammy

Might have something to do with this BIG FAT SMILEY FACE POPPING UP EVER

I was discussing the ride being named the same thing.

I already thought that logo was basically confirmed as being called "the smiler".. It's kind of obvious.

Edit: I just got what you meant but no, the "big fat smiley face" isn't the ride itself so my point remains...

Have you totally missed the Ministry of Joy / The Sanctuary?

The whole purpose of the MoJ, who are behind the new ride, is that they wish to conduct marmalisation onto subjects - thus making them smile permanently. It is all about social compliance. "The Smiler" is matched to the theme/story of the ride. If they had wanted to just give it a name to match the steel, it would have just been called 'Loopy' or something!

:)

I know that but it just seems like a bad name for the ride itself, the only way I would personally like it is if they advertise it in a really twisted way making "the smiler" as a name actually seem intimidating and creepy.

I'm all up for everyone having their own opinion but this is just ridiculous...

If people GENUINELY think that naming a roller coaster with a dark back story, about human marmalisation and all the rest they've built up, the Smiler, I do fear for some people. There are a lot of people who are not posting in this topic who agree with me on this too. I can understand a ride element, a stage, a promotional image, pretty much anything other than the ride itself being called the Smiler; but seriously people wake up. It's something a ten year old calls a ride on Rollercoaster Tycoon, not a brand new ride like this.

EDIT BACK: Personal attack? I think not, it's no worse than what crap he comes out with. Tit for tat Mark, tit for tat. Now lets all behave like adults and speak how we want. We're not kids, thanks.

Edited by Flipper
Removed the personal attack on another member - Mark9

I can understand why some like it when it is taken in context as I can see how it fits. But it has to work both in and out of context, when people are talking about it without knowing the story/having been on it (ie, nearly everyone), and that for me is where it falls down. It is awful and hasn't grown on me a bit, sounds amateur, childish and just wrong.

I can understand why some like it when it is taken in context as I can see how it fits. But it has to work both in and out of context, when people are talking about it without knowing the story/having been on it (ie, nearly everyone), and that for me is where it falls down. It is awful and hasn't grown on me a bit, sounds amateur, childish and just wrong.

This is basically the nail on the head...

In context, regarding it probably being a device to make us all smile more and get corrected, brilliant, makes sense, fits into the Ministry of Joy (JOY!), etc...

Outside of the ride though, it just sounds silly... But I wouldn't say further than that really, there are much, MUCH worse ride names out there that don't fit the ride (Silver Bullet isn't even SILVER! Or a BULLET! False advertising for the loss)...

Just to remind everyone about Stealth, that was like a fallback. Project name, they even had the ride sign (and merch) made with the real name created. Then had to fallback, and luckily stealth is a lovely oxymoron.

Smiler, hmm unsure if it's the name. If it is, it'll be good. I still think it's related to the logo rather than the ride. But we'll find out eh.

Alright, I take that Stealth was a short notice name. I was just using it as an example of how people get over these names in time. ;)

And the context point is very true.

In short, I think it's a great name in context, but weird out of context. At least with the logo it makes a bit of sense!

Some of the alternatives to Stealth were classic, THE HUMDINGER.

I personally think it fits, and it makes a nice change from THE 'DESTROYER' sort of name that every other ride has.

I really hope this now becomes the name out of nowhere.

I think a name like 'The Smiler' could work really well. When I first heard it, no I didn't think 'big scary rollercoaster' but I was instantly intrigued and wanted to know what it was about, and I think a lot of the general public will be the same. The fact that it's so odd works in their favour in terms of marketing.

It's a whole lot more interesting than Th13teen anyway.