The Smiler

th13teen

That video scared the crap out of me, I skipped to the end after the first 10 seconds or so and now I am too scared to watch the rest of it!

I'm still not sure if I like The Smiler as a name either. It just doesn't seem to suit the ride regardless of how in context it is. We know that whilst smiling does have something to do with the story, it is not the main theme so I would prefer a name to do with TMOJ. Sombody on Towers Street said 'The Ministry' which I think is a great name; I feel a name along those lines would suit this ride a lot better than something like 'Oblivion' or 'Nemesis'...

Well the video kinda sounds legit a Facebook page called getcorrected has been created in like the last 2 hours The video is already being mentioned in the Alton Towers Facebook with the Getcorrected liking the comment so it may be part of it but like a side Page much like les coogen during 2011 for the swarm?

And the video has been taken down now but is available on the getcorrected Facebook.

Edited by Tommy
Triple post.

Unlike some people, I don't actually mind the name. You just have to get away from the childrens aspect of it and think of it more in a sinister, creepy kind of view. I admit it is not ideal but am glad it is not just one of those predictable names like the 'Deomonator' or something along those lines.

I will willing to try and get used to it.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I don't think you should read too much into the OTSRs. I'm convinced it's just a simple marketing trick to help enforce the idea of the ride being a wild inverting beast.

On the other hand, surely if it were to have lapbars they would really want to push that commercially? No point avoiding a really good push of something that will make a huge difference to the ride experience...

Also...

04d363ff_d2aa550c_boldstate-hype-train.p

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ABOARD!

On the other hand, surely if it were to have lapbars they would really want to push that commercially? No point avoiding a really good push of something that will make a huge difference to the ride experience...

But wouldn't a concept like that be wasted on the general public? To most people, The Smiler is just something which goes upside down all the time, and used to be known as the Black Hole...

But why essentially 'lie' about having OTSRs when you could shout about having lapbars?

Especially when the difference WILL play on the minds of the guests as lapbars aren't used on massive looping rides... The whole sense of freedom and the like would be a major thing to sell on the ride with of course that all time favourite sense of danger... It would make sense that if it had lapbars then the artwork would have lapbars (then again, so far this year none of the parks have made sense)...

It having lapbars was always relatively unlikely given the UK H&S levels and general attitude towards coasters, it was more a hope than a fact...