The Smiler

th13teen

The what?

Well 'apparently' there are going to be preview days, probably like swarm friends and family day so there is not half a chance of you being able to go ;) will try and investigate into it though!

SOURCE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiler_(roller_coaster)

On the side bar it says 'previews in April 2013, official opening in May 2013'

Well 'apparently' there are going to be preview days, probably like swarm friends and family day so there is not half a chance of you being able to go ;) will try and investigate into it though!

SOURCE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smiler_(roller_coaster)

On the side bar it says 'previews in April 2013, official opening in May 2013'

Source is Wikipedia... Sooooo that doesn't prove or disprove anything about such preview days actually happening...

They're doing previews pretty much like Rita's as posted by TowersStreet:

Quote by TowersStreets​ news article:
UPDATE (15:37 – 21/01/13): Forum user MattH has been in contact with the Resort in regards to the opening date. They had the following response:
“Thank you for contacting the Alton Towers Resort regarding our exciting new ride for 2013.
We expect The Smiler, our fabulous new ride, to be fully open in May with previews to be confirmed in April.
As is always the case with huge developments like The Smiler we never really have a firm opening date. Of course we aim for the start of the season or Easter, but we are dependent on so many factors to achieve this – external suppliers and weather being the two main elements that can go wrong. This development started very well, but a combination of the sheer volume of rain that fell during the second half of last year and recent low temperatures and snowfall has caused a delay that we can’t recover. It’s disappointing of course but our main aim is to ensure the ride is finished to standard so we can open it confidently.
Please be advised that your tickets will be valid for a future date when the ride is in operation. Please see our website for details.
Regards
June Berrisford
Guest Services Manager”

Full article here: http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/the-smiler-confirmed-to-be-opening-in-may/

I expect these to be random days through-out the month, not many if any effects on and possible break downs and e-stops and not run all day, so I wouldn't really plan a trip around these previews and turn up to find out The Smiler won't be previewing that day and wait till May 2013 for the full experience!

As Ricky said, just before May I'm sure Merlin will get some Z listed wannabe celebrities and do a "premiere launch" like all the Merlin attractions have had. :)

Oblivion repaints going well :P

*COUGH*Colossus*COUGH*INFERNO*COUGH*

I would not be surprised if there were random soft openings (a la Disney/American parks) as it gets to a relatively finished state... Guess it depends on what the park want to do when it nears completion, but they won't be exact and it'll be a case of luck if people get caught up in it...

I look forward to Jonathon Ross riding it in front of everyone waiting on opening day though...

I'm pretty sure there's a picture floating around mapping out the occupied X-Sector space that will be off-limits to visitors as well as which parts won't. I think Liam had it. It also locates the temporary direction boards which will aid visitors access the rest of the X-Sector whilst construction is still ongoing.

If you could post the image Liam, I'm sure we'd all greatly appreciate it. :)

Your wish is my command Sidders! It actually was created by Rollercoasters4Life on TowersStreetTalk so all credits to him/her:

Pathways-XSector_zpsd3a387b1.jpg

This clearly shows how Alton could direct guest around Oblivions hole while still leaving a massive space for The Smiler construction, of course if all goes to plan, we could see the construction walls down by April so everything will be back to normal!

Tunnel of piss will still bring you out where the yellow section of fried chicken co is.

Either way, they'll definitely have that part open, if not the main path. I imagine main path will be up though, once they've installed the track they would probably only need to access it with cranes etc periodically.

Being a bit slow on the uptake of the news at the moment - I have just realised SW7 has taken my member title :o Grrrr, will have to change it, shame as It was quite fitting for my 'keep smilin' signature I have had for a couple of years :(

Anyway back on topic - Love the name, however it could of just been called Smiler as so many rides at the moment have 'the' with it, plus one words make it more punchy :) Plus if it's opening in May it'll be in time for my birthday - what a fab present whoop!

Very excited for this - as many of you know I love SAW: THE RIDE and know am within the minority there so this beauty will be right up my street, plus it's themed to characteristics which I'm into. SW7 = WIN.