The Smiler

th13teen

25 days worth of testing required apparently...

Still doable to open mid-May (although maybe not the penciled in date of the 18th, looking like the week after (which is Half Term, wahey) atm), as they can still finish the paths/fences/etc (which have already been started) during testing like they did with Swarm (and every other coaster ever)...

Shame it's so late, because quite frankly, it's amazing to look at... But this might give Merlin a little poke in the face to say "Look, this is what happens when you rush massive coaster projects! Unexpected delays happen and cause it to finish/open late and in excess cause issue with guest numbers"...

I think the compact nature of the ride also didn't particularly help construction either as well (in addition to the groundwork trouble, snow, wind, alien beasties rising up from the ground, secret vaults being discovered, curses, etc)... This project is probably the most complex in the UK (the more they built, the more complicated it got to build the rest of it with lack of space, etc), and definitely sits up there with Oblivion and Nemesis for complexity...

Either way, looks like it might be opening when I'm away, which is good, means I can avoid the inevitable descension of goons on the park and the inevitable cries of it being 'crap', 'rough', 'not better than Nemesis', etc.

This project is probably the most complex in the UK

Valhalla.

I'm looking forward to The Smiler but I hope it isn't as rough as Saw - with a layout as compact as that it would be quite painful.

I would also like to see part of the queueline indoors and themed similarly to The Sanctuary, but with a rushed job I doubt that will happen.

Something I have noticed with the below image is that it appears the first lift doesn't have any anti rollbacks, suggesting in the event of a shutdown it will just cascade slowly back down the lift?

Nor does the vertical lift hill; they both have fin brakes instead; and given that evacuation stairs and present in the car park for lift one, and an evacuation platform is present on the vertical lift; it suggests that the ride will hold itself using the brakes instead...

They're going to want to steam ahead now. If they've been working on the systems in conjunction with construction we could see the first runs in the next day or so surely?

Am I right in thinking Gurst don't do any sort of pull through and just sent a train instead?

Yay, the track's finished. Does anyone know if they have to cement in the supports fully (or whatever needs to be done to the supports, as I believe they're not fully set in?) before they can start testing?

Things to look forward to now track's been complete:

-Testing.

-Enthusiasts complaining that not enough testing is happening.

-Enthusiasts saying that the ride won't open in May.

-Enthusiasts complaining that the ride isn't self duelling to their expectations.

-The ride opening.

Yay, the track's finished. Does anyone know if they have to cement in the supports fully (or whatever needs to be done to the supports, as I believe they're not fully set in?) before they can start testing?

Actually thats a good point, this must have to be done first and will take a while for it to set properly too.

I guess we will see!