The Smiler

th13teen

Just a shame that some enthusiasts worry, panic and/or slate every time something goes wrong.

Do they really though? It is just worth noting things like this. On a ride already months behind scheduled opening this one 'little' thing could easily result in further delays depending what fix they use.

Walter and Claude wouldn't stand for this!

Maybe wrong was the wrong word to use there, though not really sure what the best word is!

I'm more speaking in a general sense though. Like with videos of parts of The Marmaliser testing, saying how it doesn't look good (example - The Tickler not spinning fast enough) when it's only just started testing. A chance needs to be given, as well as time, for such things to develop. But instead, people are quick to be negative, be that through worrying or slating.

With the case of the support, it's probably the most worrying thing we've seen so far to date. Worrying in the sense that it will like cause (even more) delay. But no doubt, behind closed doors, things like this have happened before, on other coasters by other manufacturers. But I see some people (not necessarily here, just general across forums and the likes of Facebook), slating the park / Gerstlauer, which just seems...unneccessary. As Benin said, not everything goes perfectly during construction, and when that happens, people seem to be very quick to slate.

Just an observation really. But if the original delay hadn't have happened, I bet a lot of the concerns people are having now wouldn't have even crossed people's minds.

The Miles Cedars video has been posted on AT's Youtube account, and linked onto FB and Twitter. The Youtube description:

This morning we were made aware of this footage by fans on the Official Alton Towers Resort Twitter and Facebook pages. People have suggested the video has some connection with the new ride for 2013 at Alton Towers Resort - The Smiler.

We are very inteested to know more. Do you know Trisha, Dan or Miles? Have you got any clue as to what is going on? Share with us through Twitter (@altontowers) or Facebook (www.facebook.com/altontowers). If you know any more, please get in touch!

Absolutely brilliantly set up - it should allow for the story to develop and make it seem like the park aren't related to the videos, thus not spoiling the mood the videos are creating and allowing the masses to see it.

Love it love it love it.

I do still really find it quite laughable that this ride is taking so dam long to finish still, were getting towards halfway through the season and the ride is still not open.

People are adamant that the worlds first is the number of inversions but I'm still holding out for a special element in the indoors section that is the worlds first because frankly it's the only excuse I would accept that the new technology has delayed the ride opening otherwise I find it laughable.

I do still really find it quite laughable that this ride is taking so dam long to finish still, were getting towards halfway through the season and the ride is still not open.

People are adamant that the worlds first is the number of inversions but I'm still holding out for a special element in the indoors section that is the worlds first because frankly it's the only excuse I would accept that the new technology has delayed the ride opening otherwise I find it laughable.

Edited by pluk
erm, text has vanished and I can't seem to edit it. Basically, whatever is in that building is not the reason for any delay whether it exists or not. The failure of the groundworks compounded by poor weather is.

So the ground playing up and the site being sat under a fair few inches of snow aren't valid problems?

It's weird how spoilt we are in the UK really, there are loads of parks in Europe and America which open their rides later in the season (Plopsaland are opening an entire new area in July, and that's a Splash Battle and Disko Coaster)...

Construction projects get delayed sometimes, some more than others, unfortunately Smiler has been hit the hardest of most UK projects ever...

It doesn't bother me that, it's opening later, nearly every big coaster in America, opens later and everybody in America waits patiently for them, so for me there is no point in moaning, because most over places do that it's just in the uk we have been lucky everything has opened in march, well apart from the Slimer, obviously :D

Regardless of whether it opens by the May deadline or after, I think I may postpone my visit till next year. At least then I know everything should be complete and settled in. Wouldn't want to go and see a rushed, half completed job ^_^

That went just after it appeared, don't think it was ever supposed to be up. The girl in the recent interview vid looks a lot like her, I'm expecting her to 'go missing' via twitter / further vids sometime soon and for that to be released after that - like she's been taken by them. Just guessing, we'll see!

So the ground playing up and the site being sat under a fair few inches of snow aren't valid problems?

It's weird how spoilt we are in the UK really, there are loads of parks in Europe and America which open their rides later in the season (Plopsaland are opening an entire new area in July, and that's a Splash Battle and Disko Coaster)...

Construction projects get delayed sometimes, some more than others, unfortunately Smiler has been hit the hardest of most UK projects ever...

I'm not being spoilt, what I'm saying is surely they should plan it as they usually do so that the new ride is open for the majority of the season like the UK parks usually do when they have a big roller coaster, they should really have been prepared incase of delays and got on with the work, they've had the closed season and far into the open season now, usually this is all completed relatively close to the start of open season, perhaps there trying a new tactic and trying to open rides like in america :S

I tell a lie, ive found that video

maybe thats what alton towers want to be contacted about? Just a thought.

Was just about to post the link. Apparently this video is made by some 'Marketing Company' situated near Towers, but the company have reported that they made it for fun, after going on the Sanctuary at Scarefest, and that it actually isn't an official piece of filming made for AT.

I still think it's far too professional for them not to use!

I'm not being spoilt, what I'm saying is surely they should plan it as they usually do so that the new ride is open for the majority of the season like the UK parks usually do when they have a big roller coaster, they should really have been prepared incase of delays and got on with the work, they've had the closed season and far into the open season now, usually this is all completed relatively close to the start of open season, perhaps there trying a new tactic and trying to open rides like in america :S

You cannot be prepared for every single potential delay...

The main issue for Smiler was the groundwork, where they thought they had a certain soil type, turned out they didn't, hence the numerous concrete retaining walls we've been given... Since the groundwork is the longest part of ride construction, and the type of issue involved has resulted in this...

Unfortunately this has been a result as well of Merlin's shorter construction time frames for rides, whereas before we would've had a couple of years preparation, this has been done in the space of about a year and a half...

I doubt they will go for a later opening thing on all rides, as Towers has been dead due to Smiler's delay... Would not be viable business wise to keep doing that...

http://www.the-smiler.com/videos/

New section of the minisite, along with the second video.

Love the second video with the 'Don't Look Down' and 'Submission' references! Fantastic stuff. Great to see Kelman returning too :D

Can't wait to see how this develops. By the 'clues' section, looks like there'll be 4 videos about Cedars, each with their own clue.

Alton Towers - you are doing an absolutely brilliant job!