The Smiler

th13teen

The ride looks fun.

The theming however...

I definately agree, after all the effort made with the publication and viral advertising to create and build a clear theme, there doesn't really seem to be much theming at all, I suppose we should reserve judgement untill we see the inside of the building and queue line but the only real theming is the spider thing, which is great but you whizz past it now and again and that's really the only theming outside/ride wise which for an £18mil investment is dissapointing IMO

Did someone say two world's firsts?

http://press.altontowers.com/news-alton-towers-resort-unveils-worlds-first-14-looping-rollercoaster-11766

The Smiler, which is Alton Towers Resort's biggest ever investment at £18m, took over eight months to build and the second world first element has been kept under wraps since construction began back in September.

Oooh-err!

It was extremely damp on park today. My camera doesn't like the wet, It tries to focus on the rain (foolish camera).

Firstly - They were ride envelope testing the bunny hop when we arrived

P1050174.JPG

Flasher testing

P1050220.JPG

The steps to the entrance are having quite a bit of work on them

P1050180.JPG

The smiler entrance board.

P1050183.JPG

Inside the entrance there are these.

P1050189.JPG

A blurred zoom in on one of them

P1050213.JPG

The bottom half of the entrance. There seems to be more of these inset at the bottom. There are also pipes that go along the back.

P1050206.JPG

The pipes just end though.P1050215.JPG

On to the Marmaliser. This was receiving a lot of TLC today. We now have a hexagonal central unit.

P1050218.JPG

Without people

P1050266.JPG

We also have new theming being added to the legs

P1050193.JPG

As we watched they added theming to one of the other legs. They started by adding a wooden template and just slotted the parts in;

P1050244.JPG

P1050249.JPG

P1050252.JPG

P1050254.JPG

And by the powers of double sided sticky tape we get

P1050256.JPG

And a piccy of the train:

P1050205.JPG

Sorry the photos aren't up to my usual standard, as you can see, it was a bit wet.

Anyone else feel like the marmaliser was created by a totally different design team? I'm not an expert on the behind the scenes, but it's just strange that the station, entrance, games stall and area is on a completely different level compared to the beast in the centre.