The Smiler

th13teen

Oh how I seriously hope it sounds a LOT better in person.

Me too. It feels like the coaster is so rushed and they have ignored the original theming and premise. The Smiler is supposed to be psychological and clinical, which the music doesn't really reflect! It should have been more delicate etc and not so bombastic

Me too. It feels like the coaster is so rushed and they have ignored the original theming and premise. The Smiler is supposed to be psychological and clinical, which the music doesn't really reflect! It should have been more delicate etc and not so bombastic

They wouldn't rush the music just because construction was delayed... They've had ages to do it.

I like it, if fits in with the whole 'Not-serious-but-very-serious' atmosphere - and it drives you crazy ^_^

They wouldn't rush the music just because construction was delayed... They've had ages to do it.

I like it, if fits in with the whole 'Not-serious-but-very-serious' atmosphere - and it drives you crazy ^_^

I didn't mean the construction being delayed. The coaster actually looks fun! :D It's just everything around it smacks of amateur when you compare it to the treat we had with The Swarm... Nothing really fits in and apparently that makes it OK, and yet The Swarm was criticised for a tent that could barely be seen from the island.

I like the music... No point basing it off small snippets of it as it could be a very long and variating piece of track (indeed, past records for Merlin music are quite good)...

Although I don't mind the bits I've heard so far, if the whole track is that full on I can see it getting on my tits very rapidly while stuck in a queue line.

Also, The shop and entrance look a lot like a 'crap, we've run out of budget. What has to give?' conversation has happened, especially with the shop. As long as the ride is good I guess it is OK but it is a shame to see what looks like a bit of a 'that'll do' approach to something that in other areas is so spectacular. I also have concerns about how that yellow will age, I can see it looking really dirty really quickly without regular washing and painting, not one of our dear leaders strong points usually.

For people concerned about the music - it may not necessarily be the whole thing even! Remember when they were testing the screens on The Marmaliser at first, and it had a few minute loop? Could be exactly the same here; so that the speakers get tested, sound levels tweaked, stir up more attention, etc. Admittedly I have some reservations about what has been heard so far, but I'll wait till I've actually visited before making any of them vocal.

Also, this was tweeted earlier by AT during the press event. It's a photo of a car coming into the station, and you can see staff as well (the uniform looks well suited inside the station). Put in spoilers just in case...

BKfJaFzCAAIMZHt.jpg

Hello

Congratulations, you have won two tickets to the Alton Towers Resort, including a ride on The Smiler – the worlds first 14 looping roller coaster.

The ride opens to the general public on Thursday 23rd May 2013. Your prize includes a ride on The Smiler before it opens. At present we do not have a date/time for this exclusive opportunity, however I should be in touch by the end of Monday with some information.

If you can’t attend the preview, don’t fear! You’ll still be able to use your two free tickets and two Fastrack tickets for The Smiler on a later date.

If you could simply reply to this email when you receive it and let me know the likelihood of you attending one day next week.

Many thanks!

Marketing Co-ordinator

Alton Towers Resort

An unexpected win! :D Hoping there won't be any repeats of the press-night breakdowns...

An unexpected win! :D Hoping there won't be any repeats of the press-night breakdowns...

I saw your name on the winner's list and thought I recognised it. Congratulations and enjoy! :D

EDIT:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1400118-rob-and-ollie-try-to-ride-the-smiler?utm_campaign=detailpage&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter#t=0m14s

A short radio clip from someone at the event, it contains a nice little audio clip from what I guess was a pre-show; whether it was one designed for the press or not is unknown.

And, not sure if it's just me eyesight, but it looks like the 'Name badge' of the guy he's got a photo with is 'Inoculator'. :P