The Smiler

th13teen

I remain sceptical as to whether that is official or not. TPC can be a bit hit and miss, especial with their 'exclusive'.

Also, the first part of the audio with the guy speaking talking about 'This treatment is not suitable for...', which was in the audio I posted earlier. I read on TST that was for the press night only when people were taken from the party venue over to Smiler, which sounds reasonable. The way it cuts into the laughing version of ITHOTMK is poorly done as well. As for the 'Cut a smile into their face...' bit, I like it, sounds quite sinister and sounds like Dr Kelman.

Don't doubt that any of the music they use is official, but that soundtrack itself seems fan-made in my opinion.

I don't remember hearing it in The Sanctuary though. Where was it played in there?

If I remember rightly it was in the operating bit at the bottom. I dont remember it being there for halloween, but I know it was there when I went in the beginning of april. Of course your only in that room really breifly, and if youve got the actors screaming and shouting, along with any other music playing and the noisy guests in your group, its not likey you could have heard it. But it was there.

If I remember rightly it was in the operating bit at the bottom. I dont remember it being there for halloween, but I know it was there when I went in the beginning of april. Of course your only in that room really breifly, and if youve got the actors screaming and shouting, along with any other music playing and the noisy guests in your group, its not likey you could have heard it. But it was there.

Oh ok. I remember from April hearing Kelman's voice in the strobe maze shouting "SMILE!" but not that one, but then again it was probably easy to miss.

OK photos from Today.

The entrance

P1050277.JPG

P1050288.JPG

The entrance signs

P1050289.JPG

P1050290.JPG

P1050291.JPG

The split signs (look whats being painted behind them..)

P1050292.JPG

P1050294.JPG

P1050295.JPG

Someone asked what colour the LEDs are. They look green to me but could be yellow.

P1050299.JPG

One of the 14 entrance way cameras

P1050366.JPG

Fixing a hand tail for the steps.

P1050300.JPG

Single Rider a bit later, hand rails are finished.

P1050338.JPG

Main

P1050341.JPG

Those metallic sticky out things have now been recessed.

P1050343.JPG

Speakers have been put in the big holes at the top

P1050346.JPG

But there are still two small holes in each side.

P1050354.JPG

S W 7 Completed

P1050347.JPG

At the bottom of the station a new door has appeared

P1050314.JPG

atop a set of metal steps.

P1050315.JPG

In the big pit theming is being added. Yellow chevrons seem to be going in everywhere (and you can just see one eye of a smiler)

P1050307.JPG

The plastic used to create the chevrons (no they aren't painted)

P1050308.JPG

It was difficult to get a picture of them but here are some being added at the time I was photographing

P1050328.JPG

More theming has been added to the central leg of The Marmaliser

P1050284.JPG

and a quick shot of some of the newly laid turf.

P1050326.JPG

Notice the missing fin. There used to be one that was off rectangular here.

P1050395.JPG

But why is there a chair with an air horn?

P1050303.JPG

and just below that is a bin bag around something

P1050371.JPG

Outside X sector is quite a lot of barriers. Maybe a queue will form here on Thursday.

P1050320.JPG

And the Sanctuary is still set up

P1050322.JPG

And I will leave you with the smiler in the sun.

P1050348.JPG

Theme park logic have posted this picture of what appears to be the Smiler'sover flow over flow queue.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=663286080364024&set=a.405527049473263.116039.190814374277866&type=1&theater

Looks like people may be in for a long wait that day.

That'll simply be for everyone waiting at 9am on opening day for the main queue line to open, rather than a HUGE bundle ala thirteen opening

Not sure what I think of it. Really reminds me of the old Oblivion advert, the same sort of style with one rider talking to another like that.

Is that it for the first inversion then? A fairly standard tunnel of lights? Looks quite underwhelming if that is real footage, but I guess it isn't.

EDIT: Clearer version...

http://youtu.be/S6jGA3nXH9s

Hmmm I actually really liked the advert. I didn't want it to be too sinister as that's not what this ride's about, it's a sort of quirky fun sinister advert. I agree with Josh in the sense that they should have used the laughing version of the Towers theme, but I can see why they stuck with the original. Most people don't watch adverts and they're looking down at their phones etc, so continuously using a well known track for a brand is good marketing as people will hear that and think "OH ALTON TOWERS" and look up at the screen. Very good advert though!

One other little thing about this, us enthusiasts know it's all about the marmalisation etc but I wonder how many of the general public will get the story line? Let's just hope they go down the Oblivion route and use very very very good queue-line videos to get the story line out there!

Queueline videos are way overused these days. The good thing about the Smiler is, it visually speaks for itself without the need for much laborious 'theme exposition', but I'm sure they have a preshow planned inside the interior queue that will introduce the concept, while starting the ride off very nicely!

The advert is really great, like a more colourful version of Oblivion's advert. But would you believe that some enthusiasts are actually moaning about it!? Shock!

There will be another version as well, but longer or shorter I don't know.

well it self duels on the commercial, hopefully wit will in real life, and well the disorientator, is definitely the zero g roll but with mad and pretty lights, ooh I'm excited :D plus below the main tv screen on the Marmaliser, has more small screens like mirrors, I hope they make an apperance cos they looked cool.

So it appears they have decided something has to happen to that dodgy support which was filled with bolts. Image from TTF.

Looks like it might be this that is really pitting Alton against the clock to get the ride open for Thursday...

(Email from Alton Marketing Department)

Thanks to those who have replied regarding the competition, I thought I would drop you a note as promised about the prize.

In the original plan I was hoping to secure you a ride place on Wednesday afternoon, however after lengthy discussions today, it appears that the chance of this happening have now dropped dramatically. This isn’t to say it wont happen, but its looking unlikely. An alternative option is that I can meet you in the entrance plaza at 8am on Thursday and walk you down to the ride, before the park opens to the public at 9am. I would then ensure you were on the first train of the day. Let me know how this sounds, hopefully I will have more information tomorrow on this.

Thanks