The Smiler

th13teen

According to some members on TST who have phoned up, it has failed a H&S check today...

Oops.

EDIT: And according to members of TTF who are on park. the H&S checks are to do with fire exits, evacuations from the buildings and such, as opposed to the ride. So, in theory, it could open Friday/Saturday, or at push, tomorrow even..

Make of all that what you will!

Edited by JoshC.

Given the fact it's been widely publicised that The Smiler "will not be open" tomorrow, I was unsurprised to receive this:

Dear Competition Winner,
Due to unforeseen teething problems, The Smiler will not be open tomorrow (23rd May). Therefore as a result, the preview event is postponed.
However we welcome you to visit the Alton Towers Theme Park tomorrow and we will have two complimentary Theme Park tickets waiting for you at the Theme Park Pre-Book Collection Booths and you can enjoy a complimentary day out at the Resort. If you decide you would not like to visit us tomorrow, we understand and that is fine.
Please accept our sincere apologies and we will be in touch shortly to rearrange another preview date.
Many thanks

To receive it just 16 hours before the prize was due to be claimed is cutting things a little fine though...!

It is what it is... I'm going tomorrow but this was arranged before we knew Smiler was opening.

Hoping for a nice quiet day on park seeing as there'll be plenty of people not going, and intriguingly staff numbers haven't been cut for the day...

If it is H&S reasons, then it's still down to the extremely fine time frame Towers gave themselves to build this...

Of course, risk assessments are required, but our ones sound so stupid... Hell I technically evacuated myself off a ride this week since the restraints didn't open on it upon our return to the station...

Can't think of another ride anywhere which has gone through as many problems during it's construction...

Edit - And if it is H&S, Gerstlauer cannot be the scapegoat... This is the park with 10 miles of scaffolding under Rita...

If you're at @altontowers today for Smiler and have an Annual Pass, they are kindly extending it by a month! Go to Box Office in Towers St.

This was tweeted by CoasterForce earlier.

May not be much, but at least there's some form of compensation for Annual Pass holders as well if they still went today (which doesn't always happen!)

If it is H&S reasons, then it's still down to the extremely fine time frame Towers gave themselves to build this...

Of course, risk assessments are required, but our ones sound so stupid... Hell I technically evacuated myself off a ride this week since the restraints didn't open on it upon our return to the station...

Can't think of another ride anywhere which has gone through as many problems during it's construction...

Edit - And if it is H&S, Gerstlauer cannot be the scapegoat... This is the park with 10 miles of scaffolding under Rita...

The fact there are diggers digging up land around it and workers hammering bits and bobs on the lift hill I guess its more than H&S.

The fact there are diggers digging up land around it and workers hammering bits and bobs on the lift hill I guess its more than H&S.

Since I'm currently in Denmark enjoying more open Gerstlauers (though the Spiteful Spinner was shut), I'm not being as in-depth as normal as I couldn't care less about this opening and basing it off the odd bit of stuff other sites have mentioned...

Amusingly, a ride opened late today because the queue had been flooded... It opened 2 hours after opening... We are dire in the UK...

It's because they can't get the secret Top Spin in the dark section to work properly :ph34r:

EDIT: Update from TTF:

"The reason for the delay, is that Towers are now still waiting on the health and safety executives, to sign off on the fire exits, evacuation procedures, and all manner of other H&S paperwork/risk assessments"

Or the washing machine.... LOL

There is no 'washing machine' element unfortunately. The disorientator is basically the heartline roll and the secret element of The Smiler is the fact it has 14 inversions :/