The Smiler

th13teen

So, given the soft opening of The Smiler last Friday, no preview event was held for the Ride It First competition winners.

However, the Park has offered us all 2 free tickets, free Smiler fastrack and free Gold fastrack for the rest of the Park, for use at any time this season. Can't complain!

Afraid no such event was held, and we weren't there on Friday - we didn't get to Ride It First!

Email received on Friday in full:

Hi all

You may have heard by now that The Smiler is open to guests. Despite my best efforts to get sufficient warning about this in order to secure you a preview ride, I wasn’t able to arrange this. I can only apologise about this.

I’d love to invite you back to the Resort to experience The Smiler with Fastrack for you and a friend, we can also Fastrack you onto the other rides with a Fastrack Gold.

Once again, apologies that I wasn’t able to get you on the ride before the general public and hope you will enjoy Fastrack for The Smiler along with other rides as a suitable alternative.

Thanks

I thought the "Ride it First" people got onto the ride prior to the management and public riders?

Or you mean as in there wasn't a full on 'exclusive' event? Such as a behind the scenes jobbie?

There were no ride it first people - it was managers and magic making, and then opened to public.

Had my first go on The Smiler today, we queued for about two hours and twenty minutes including a twenty minute breakdown whilst we were in the station. It certainly is a very impressive ride and completely dominates X-Sector. The roaring of the trains is particularly loud and really catches your attention, particularly when two of the trains travel around together. A few noteworthy points

- This ride is a massive hit with the public. Everyone was getting off completely blown away by the ride itself. I know it seems rather much of a contrivance, but the smiles were so big it almost was like people were being marmalised by the attraction. The last time I saw general public photoing a ride like this was Stealth back in 2006. It seems the GP have been rather taken by it.

- The queueline effects are okay but not to important to the ride. A nice distraction from queuing if nothing else.

- Despite the ride having 14 loops, it's the air time hills that are the most fun element of the ride. Particularly the second one which really makes you fly out of your seat.

- The first half of the ride is the smoother and the sequence of inversions made me quite dizzy. The brief stop with the vertical lift hill is a welcome restbite from the craziness. There would be a lot more sick if the ride carried on with the last set of inversions.

- The second half is far more gruelling in terms of roughness. There's a particularly point in the middle of the batwing that really jolted the car. That one jolt is worse then Saw's awful beyond vertical drop. I worry how bad that things gonna be in several months time. As it stands its not very welcome after four full days of operation.

- The reliability doesn't seem to be anywhere near where it needs to be. We witnessed at least four lengthy breakdowns and the final one, with two trains stuck at the bottom of the second lift hill caused a queueline evacuation and free tickets to be given out.

- Unfortunately the marmaliser spider doesn't add much to the ride due to the fact the cars travel just too fast past it all. I only noticed the water sprayers, the other arms didn't even seem apparent which is a shame. Despite this, it's an excellent visual element to the ride and absolutely towers over the area.

- The music is fantastic, even after listening to it after nearly four collective hours.

It's a worthy addition to the Towers and really adds something unique to the park. You can say what you like about all of Towers main roller coasters, but you can't deny they all have their roles to play in the park and each offer something totally different.

My personal towers list goes Nemesis, Oblivion, The Smiler, Air, Thirteen and Rita.

7861_10152889016930427_382254203_n.jpg

8603_10152889017000427_1740756755_n.jpg

946663_10152889016425427_1082835628_n.jp

Apparently Smiler has stalled during tests this morning, and X Sector was recently evacuated (according to TST's Facebook), with staff saying Smiler won't open today.

Could be down to new wheels possibly? At least is managed to stay open for the first couple of days at least, when it was likely to be busier, but not great at the moment!

Well if what Towers Times say is correct and the train needs to be craned off the track (as it was when it stalled in testing) then id say its a fairly big deal for those travelling to ride it today..

You mean like every other ride that's ever stalled in the history of rides? (Fun fact, cranes are used to move stalled coasters, be they small 2 row or 10 row B&Ms)

There just seems to be a sheer over-reaction about this that I've not seen before... Don't remember much reaction when Saw stalled recently or any of the other times it's done so...

Trains stall, that's an unfortunate thing that will happen with coasters.

I think the reaction is more the fact that it's happening to Smiler so soon after it has opened, and after all the delays, I don't think anyone wants to see it closed, whatever the reason. The reaction is (or maybe I should say 'should be') about the fact Smiler is having more downtime, which is unfortunate for all.

Considering Smiler stalled half way through the first half of the course, I'm not surprised they need to take it physically apart... It's something that quite frequently happens on multi row coasters...

Didn't Shambhala stall last year? Leviathan stalled earlier as well as Gatekeeper... Something that can happen to any ride at any time... Then considering that new rides can (and will) go through teething problems, it's something that I really cannot get myself worked up about...

Stuff happens...

EDIT - And Towers have extended the ride close to compensate apparently... And then they'll probably continue the free return tickets thing they did back on the 23rd May...

Considering Smiler stalled half way through the first half of the course, I'm not surprised they need to take it physically apart... It's something that quite frequently happens on multi row coasters...

Didn't Shambhala stall last year? Leviathan stalled earlier as well as Gatekeeper... Something that can happen to any ride at any time... Then considering that new rides can (and will) go through teething problems, it's something that I really cannot get myself worked up about...

Stuff happens...

You'd get worked up if you were going and got spited by the Smiler because a train stalled. You'd understand but it is still frustrating for those that go up there.

Just saying :diablo:

You'd get worked up if you were going and got spited by the Smiler because a train stalled. You'd understand but it is still frustrating for those that go up there.

Just saying :diablo:

But what about Air being shut Mark? Why does no-one care about that?!

I'd probs be frustrated, like Bon Bon Land, but I'd get over it quickly personally... As for the average guest, Towers will no doubt give out compensation for returns... We got feck all from Bon Bon (not that we tried cos, we were THAT bothered? ;))...

EDIT - DAT QUEUE

601944_573401676024348_221811117_n.jpg

ATG

People will care about Air being closed as well, but The Smiler is the big new attraction that most guests will be travelling to go on today!

Some of these guests have probably held back from visiting at the start of the season, waited until it seems to be working and then arrived to find it closed (and unlikely to open).

I think it is quite appauling that they haven't stated that it is closed on the main website - the moment it stalled they should have put it up on the website!

I'd probs be frustrated, like Bon Bon Land, but I'd get over it quickly personally... As for the average guest, Towers will no doubt give out compensation for returns... We got feck all from Bon Bon (not that we tried cos, we were THAT bothered? ;))...

A 6 year old coaster and a spinner at that is a bit different to Britain's most popular park failing to open it's first 1.4m coaster since 2005. Oh and failing numerous times. If Towers didn't think people would be bothered, they wouldn't have been offering compensation and selling Double Joy tickets earlier in the season. The cost of free tickets and reopening The Sanctuary (only for it to be near walk on during Easter) must be rather large.

Mini-review: the ride is good but you can definitely see how it may have been rush job after the rumoured prototype falling through. In the short term people will lap it up but I am worried about the rattle developing. It's not bad now bar the cobra exit and following inversion but we shall see I guess. Hated the outside queue.

EDIT: Just remembered something else. Ended up seeing a some fanboys use the single rider queue near the end of the day and after the bag drop go into the main queue. This is really not on and if a member of staff physically has to block the main queue stairs then so be it.