The Smiler

th13teen

• 3 weeks later...

The original Smiler artwork - http://threeverywisemonkeys.blogspot.co.uk/

Not quiet sure which I prefer - the concept art or the real thing.  The concept art looks much more detailed and complete, but I do like the clean and clinical feel we've got with the main ride.  Not to mention to balance between being scary and humour-filled as well; the concept art makes it seem much darker.

Edited by pluk
Link amended to original source

As much as they've drawn a certain atmosphere into the alternative, I'm sure in reality it would have just looked a bit of a mess. What we have now is better, just a shame it has been done so cheaply and remains looking incomplete and a bit of a mess.

Why don't we like Smiler's existing theme?

It's more the lack of really pushing the theme forward, so we've ended up with a bland concrete exterior and poorly executed explanation to what's going on...

The theme itself, is a fantastic original idea, but it's just put forward in a haphazard way...

The missing element in The Smiler's theme is the lack of a pre-show. The indoor queue area would've been a perfect opportunity to have a Ministry of Joy "Welcome" video on a loop, giving insight into the backstory of the ride. Instead we are presented with the "Optical Procedure" room which isn't particularly impressive or very enjoyable to be stuck in, being too dark and loud.

It could've quite easily had a doctor's waiting room theme, which firstly would've been a bit of a surreal transition from the outside queue, and it would've also led very well into the surgical station area.

Preshow videos on a loop are the worst kinds of preshows and usually add nothing to the ride. It was great when I went in the "Optical Procedure" room I didn't have some naff ministry backstory rubbish forced on me. Almost every ride project built in the last 10 years has had a poorly produced preshow video, in an attempt to make a ride "themed". Instead with The Smiler we have flashy lights! Hooray!

The current preshow room is far from amazing, but it's something different and adds to the sense of disorientation before you start the ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they should. Maybe one day they will....

I think how ever much we hope they will improve that inside section and make the ride actually have some sense/finish the story they had begun, we have to remember with The Sanctury in the main story, the MOJ shut it down because the treatments they prescribbed were just to sadistic and they thought Kelman didnt know what he was doing, Kelman just kept it open without their knowledge and carried on his twisted experiments.

Majority of the poster in The Santury are all based on seeing a doctor, there are a few on getting marmalised they could use.

Hopefully at some point theyll bring everyting together so then the story carries through with all that social media they did, the sanctury, the ride, and possibly any other rides they link to it in the future, other wise its just a waste of time them even trying to create the story in the first place.