The Smiler

th13teen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, as of today the screens have all been unblurred, there is music back in the projection room And the audio before the vertical lift is back with the video. All it misses is the word "corrected" as does all the merch now.

What about the dispatch music? 

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/502569/smiler-alton-towers-rollercoaster-fan-11-times Are you kidding me!? It's been proven that it's human error, that it's nothing to do with the ride and I'm sure no operators are going to make the same mistake again/Towers will make sure it doensnt happen again, yet somehow they're still tying it back to the crash and even calling him crazy.

Thought I'd create a video of The Smiler a week after reopening on my visit on Saturday 26th March.

It shows most of the screens, effects and the half-way corrected screens and audio working properly (minus a couple of changes visible), as well as various shots of the ride in action, inside and outside.

http://youtu.be/-F6vvSWTFm8

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/502569/smiler-alton-towers-rollercoaster-fan-11-times Are you kidding me!? It's been proven that it's human error, that it's nothing to do with the ride and I'm sure no operators are going to make the same mistake again/Towers will make sure it doensnt happen again, yet somehow they're still tying it back to the crash and even calling him crazy.

Of all the papers that will continue to make money off of a tragic situation, it would be daily star. Equally, you have to remember, they only supply what is demanded: GP unfortunately lap this kind of stuff up. As consumers of media, if people don't create a demand for it, there won't be a supply for it.

Without knowing the mechanics of every Merlin attraction, I'm sure any of their coasters could suffer a similar fate. Whether by mechanical or series of human errors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a few years since I've ridden this and through the comments of how rough it had become or how the perception of the ride has changed since the incident, I must admit my appreciation for the Smiler had gone down of late. So I'm happy to report (on a personal level) that I love this ride. I think once the shadow of reliability and the incident starts to disappear, it will be regarded as a brave and daring ride for the Towers. I was particularly impressed by the pacing of the attraction, it really doesn't let up and I particularly like the speed towards the corkscrew and the finale in which the train just seems to go up a coupe of notches and flings you through the final inversions. Didn't feel the reported roughness at all, this in spite of one ride in a rain shower. After Nemesis, this is my number 2 coaster at Towers.

Depends on the actual event doesn't it? Since part of the evac might require the use of a ladder (lift 2), and general H&S consensus is that 3 points of contact is the safest thing, she is actually unable to evacuate safely...

It's very easy for people to exaggerate how staff treat them when they don't get their way...

Just jumping on the bash Towers bandwagon, perhaps more an issue with the staff directly rather than a park problem...

8 minutes ago, ThemeParkCrafte said:

Doesn't the media got better things to talk about- even elections are more news stories than than what could be considered as an exaggerated story that is there to make towers get even worse press.

Yeah but news sites can put out more than one article at a time.

3 hours ago, Benin said:

Depends on the actual event doesn't it? Since part of the evac might require the use of a ladder (lift 2), and general H&S consensus is that 3 points of contact is the safest thing, she is actually unable to evacuate safely...

It's very easy for people to exaggerate how staff treat them when they don't get their way...

Just jumping on the bash Towers bandwagon, perhaps more an issue with the staff directly rather than a park problem...

I mean the fact that she's been allowed on the ride before AND they let on someone who had broken their arm.

Is it really that simple though?

When had she previously ridden the ride? Could be that previous rides had taken place prior to last year's crash and since safety levels were heightened...

Also "I've been on it before" is the OLDEST excuse in the book when a person (or more normally, their kid) is denied access to a ride...

What level of cast did the other ride have? Might be that they still had control of their hands and had at least some degree of movement...

Imagine if she had needed to evacuate the ride? Towers were pretty much in a damned of they do, damned if they don't situation...

One perspective in a paper (especially given the storm around Towers) does not give the full story...

From what I remember saw has the same rule, having been evacuated from saws lift, you need both hands to pull yourself up out of your seat on the bar infront, to get across to the edge seat then again to be able to semi stand up and onto the evac platform, whilst for riding the coaster from a public point of view is stupid. I get it but it should have been dealt with better

I've been in the station before when someone has been denied access because they couldn't fully grip with both hands. This was about 2 years ago, it's to do with pulling yourself up out of your seat on the vertical lift. This person isn't being singled out, it's for their safety incase of evacuation.

• 3 weeks later...