The Smiler

th13teen

My views on the Smiler seem to vary these days.

The appearance and state for a three year old ride, is rather poor. Not to mention faulty projectors not being fixed,flooding and the jolts on the last two inversions. 

That being said, the Smiler is definitely a twisted steel wonder to watch and look at and the ride can be enjoyable depending on which train your on (which varies all the time). 

Apparently it went technical while I was at the park, and people I spoke with later, said that the precautions taken to ensure all was operating correctly were about twice the amount of previous runs, and managerial clearances now included take a while. It's not a favourite ride for me though when we went on, there was no queue and we walked straight back on for a second ride.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Project LC said:

The Twitter account is just a joke. It's all basic stuff that happens at every park and trying to sell it to the public as "towers loving care" is insulting. I get they are trying to show they care but the very existence of this account proves that they don't and that it's all about brand image.

They would fail the very basics of running a business if their brand image wasn't important to them.

24 minutes ago, Project LC said:

I am aware of that, but what I'm trying to get at is that they are selling the absolute minimum as exceptional care for their parks when in reality it's far from it.

I agree the work is what should be done - but to me the towers TLC account is something which is to appeal to enthusiasts mainly over closed season to see some of what's going on - it takes nothing away from the investments the park actually make into new attractions etc.

Towers really has enthusiasts wrapped around their little finger. 

Post a picture of a set of stairs being repainted on Twitter, get 100+ interactions, multiple fansites positively comment on it on their social media and pages of discussion across many forums.  Means that hundreds, possibly thousands, of people become aware of something that otherwise would have gone unnoticed by the large majority and many enthusiasts wouldn't have commented on. 

I might not like the idea of the Twitter account, but it's easy to see why they'll continue using it. 

Well they should have got a better idea. If they wanted the steps to come across like an ironic colourful stairway to 'post correction' heaven then they should have been designed and built that way. Instead it looks like they borrowed some spare evac stairs from a gay pride nightclub and stuck them in.

Shame because the idea is actually quite funny, could have been very clever and entertaining. Same about the entire ride really. Parts work well and feel really gripping, but other times it feels like its been built on a budget of £2.

• 2 months later...