The Smiler

th13teen

I don't say I like it's current re-incarnation. What I'm saying is that (apart from one of the 5 articles) suggests that it's a retheme, not a replacement ride, and definitely not SW7.I'd presume the retheme would involve a part refurb anyway, as all the boats would naturally be replaced, and I'd presume it'd cost not much more to replace the parts which need doing.

I obviously don't know but still think a new flume could pay for itself fairly quickly through lower running costs and maintenance with modern technology and new equipment, so there is one big business decision to replace it regardless of how much of an an extra draw it is. I don't think a new flume is SW material, but if SW7 is going in that area it might be a two birds with one stone plan, sort out the whole area out at once.I've never ridden one, but I don't get the aquatrax thing. Looks to me like a fairly crappy coaster built over water, but not interacting with the water in any way. What's the point?

It would be kinda random (and in the end pointless) to replace the flume with another modern version of it... Unless they really focus on gimmicks such as backwards drops or other things, and that's not really secret weapon worthy is it?I dunno why they would replace Flume either... It might be old, but it's still popular and has been for years... It needs a refurb yes, and hence why I think it's more likely to be a retheme (with added refurb) than removal... Just have that feeling...

It's the same story for Neptune's Kingdom at Thorpe; will no doubt be the same for X:\No Way Out as well. You could understand it when it was Corkscrew - the park's first inverting rollercoaster and a piece of what made Alton Alton back in it's glory days. Lord, I can't ever imagine the day Colossus is removed (thankfully it won't be for a good long time yet).

I obviously don't know but still think a new flume could pay for itself fairly quickly through lower running costs and maintenance with modern technology and new equipment, so there is one big business decision to replace it regardless of how much of an an extra draw it is.

Well that's the thing. I know of many things which a simple replacement would recover it's costs through lower maintenance and running costs, but they don't happen. One of which is Pirate Falls at lego which uses 40k of water a month due to a leak... :blush:

It's the same story for Neptune's Kingdom at Thorpe; will no doubt be the same for X:\No Way Out as well. You could understand it when it was Corkscrew - the park's first inverting rollercoaster and a piece of what made Alton Alton back in it's glory days. Lord, I can't ever imagine the day Colossus is removed (thankfully it won't be for a good long time yet).

I can see the Flume at Towers lasting longer than both of those... Indeed, Depth Charge is completely out of place now at Thorpe, whilst if/when NWO gets removed and replaced by another coaster/rides, it will be similar to Corkscrew's removal...Log Flumes generally have a much longer life in comparison to coasters and flat rides, indeed, look at several American parks, and many still have log flumes that have lasted longer than Flume has even existed (Knott's for example opened in 1969 and still stands same goes for Magic Mountain's 1971 AND 1972 flumes)... So it goes to show that maintenance means a lot, and really, that's all that the Flume needs... Extra theming and a smoother ride...

I think we can lay to rest the Flume being replaced by a Flume now, ta.. :blush:

How? What? When?

They wouldnt replace a ride with the same ride. They would just retheme it. As everyone is saying I think they will retheme it and place SW7 next to it. The poster does indicate the Flume is leaving, but knowing Merlin they will probably just retheme it and its a completley new ride. I do hope the Flume isnt removed but if it does go then I can just imagine a floorless coaster flying over the lake where the Flume ends now! It gives me shives already.

I'm starting to changed my mind and love the idea of the flume and SW7 next too each other, It means two new rides in one and great views of SW7 from the flume!

In a perfect world we'd have this... But with the woods and Tower being unable to cut down trees willy-nilly, I'd say that the dream Gloomy Wood GCI that interacts with Flume, Haunted Hollow and beyond, is unlikely...

I can't believe that after all the jokes about it, we are actually talking seriously about an aquatrax. Really?

The worst part being an Aquatrax doesn't even really go anywhere near the water, it just happens to have parts over water... Seems utter pointless to me.Won't be an Aquatrax, will never be an Aquatrax.

Aquatrax's only get people wet because people put their hands out into the water and the spray catches everyone...You'd think people would learn about rides that pretend to be water rides but don't get you wet...I've always found it amusing that it's always an Intamin ride which is such a bad joke in the coaster community... INTAMIN *shakes fist*

I've always found it amusing that it's always an Intamin ride which is such a bad joke in the coaster community... INTAMIN *shakes fist*

I think you'd be slightly naive to assume it is hated by the coaster community. There's obviously a reason why it is so successful. And for me, it's the best manufacturer out there next to B&M