The Smiler

th13teen

Oh my LORD that looks insane, gotta be a multi-launcher like that one in Asia. Looks like a Norweigen Loop in the middle which will be exciting. It will also be very exciting to see a similar theme to Oblivion.Also, talk about queue line interaction with the ride???This is gonna put SAW to shame so badly hahahaha

So confirmed a Eurofighter or close variation to it. As I just posted on TTF.....My bet is on that vertical lift being the worlds first vertical launch. The elements immediately after would be anticlimactic without some un natural speed being carried, and would also explain why it does not dive straight down immediately afterwards like virtually every other Eurofighter vertical lift.This would also be marketable as a recognisable worlds first, and would sit as an excellent juxtaposition to oblivion next door - world first vertical drop vs world first vertical launch.I wouldn't be surprised if they nip in with the inversion record on top off this too.Overall, looks amazing.

Wow! What a great surprise for a day that I'm off school ill :P Putting my comments to the plans as a spoiler incase anyone doesn't want to know about them. :D

I'm very excited for this now, being one of the few people who actually really enjoys Saw. The only Eurofighter I've been on is Saw and most people who have ridden others say none of them are as rough as Saw (Fluch Von Novgorod, Mystery Mine, Speed etc) So hopefully this one will turn out smooth. Then theres the question of will it have the 6-person cars or the 8-person cars? I'd also probably go with it having a double load/offload system like Saw, too.The layout looks awesome, and something I wouldn't have really expected from a UK park anytime soon; it's got a nice length and what looks to be a great mix of inversions and elements. It's hard to tell but this could well grab the record or be on par with the number of inversions as Colossus. The X-Sector theme is my favourite of all themed park areas in the UK, and it's great news to know it's probably going to be extended. It would be amazing if Oblivion got some well needed TLC with a re-paint too.

Yay, something awesome to look forward to in 2013 :P I kinda feel more excited about this than when The Swarm's plans came out... :P

Looks like it has 10 inversion like Colossus as you just said.Norwegian Loop - 2Banana Roll (sort of thing) - 2Corkscrew - 1Sidewinder (sort of thing) - 2Cobra Roll - 2Zero-G Roll - 1Just a guess from the plans but this looks INCREDIBLEThis was the Japanese ride I was talking about in my previous post, it seems to be the closest comparison to SW7TakabishaPosted Image

Hmmm interesting...I have to say whilst it seems basically confirmed as a Gertslauer, I'd have like to have seen Intamin do this ride. Just for variety, the UK already has Rage, Saw and Speed whereas a multi looping, interactive Intamin is only at Thorpe.But thats just a passing thought, very long lay-out there, nice use of elements to such as what looks like a Norweigan loop. Interesting location next to Oblivion. I wonder..

This like nothing I have ever seen before, it's so hard to understand with so many possiblities.-There is a central theming element which is 15m x 15m x 15m which the track passes through 3 times...-Why is the Station round, what the hell is gonna go on in is building?-Two lifts - is this duelling? (It looks to me as it will duel for at least a portion of the ride)-So many inversions! (a record possibly?)What the hell is going on!

Whilst the image is a modified version of one of Oblivion's advertising pictures, it is in fact being used to mock up what a Vertical Launch Coaster might look like in Dark Forest. To make up for this oversight, Santa has also delivered an extra concept board showing a Vertical Launch Coaster

Posted ImagePosted ImageAlthough this was originally a concept for the Dark Forest before Th13teen came to be, it seems that a vertical launch coaster of some sort has been on the cards for Alton for some time. Even though there are plenty of coasters that launch horizontally before going upwards, it seems this could be a legit 'worlds first' element. The verticle launch coaster may not have been very suited to the area of Th13teen due to Rita being next to it, but its very good to see Alton are acting on the public opinion and doing what is not only right for the park, but whats needed to make the public happy. The full article is a very interesting read: http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/history/plans/darkforest.htmCredit to Towers Times and Nielfever for posting it in the plans section a few days ago :P

I'm confused by that as well, Neil, as it appear to show a standard lift hill, a steep drop-out turn and then a crest over a vertical drop? Hmm... Anyway inversions-wise.. I counted 8. There's a vertical loop, a side-winder (first used on Arrow coasters), and strange take on a Batwing, a Cobra roll, and a corkscrew. There's no Norwegian loop to the best of my vision.

Those plans are REALLY hard to read aren't they?I think there is a Norweigian Loop, the first inversion being so, but since the ride is SO compact it's hard to tell what anything is really...So two lift hills, a normal one and a vertical one makes it reasonably interesting... As well as the whole potential indoor section... And remember folks, for every Sore-The Ride, Gerstlauer have made Fluch and as previously mentioned, Fuji-Q's MONSTER... There is hope for this project yet...Wait and see for further details I think... Either way an interesting start to this year...

I'm struggling to understand the plans as well. Am I right in thinking that the track must either leave or enter the station... through the maintenence building?! That seems very strange.Also, can someone point out where the lift hills are, because for some reason I can't seem to be able to find them on the site plan.P.S. How come alton have gotten away with just saying the dimensions for the theming, where as thorpe had to show the whole plane thing?

In the noise assesment it says

PROPOSED COASTER NOISE LEVELS3.1 Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located atThorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as theproposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop. T

So 100% confirmed gerstlauer eurofighter :Phttp://publicaccess....3%20(37873).PDF

I'm struggling to understand the plans as well. Am I right in thinking that the track must either leave or enter the station... through the maintenence building?! That seems very strange.Also, can someone point out where the lift hills are, because for some reason I can't seem to be able to find them on the site plan.P.S. How come alton have gotten away with just saying the dimensions for the theming, where as thorpe had to show the whole plane thing?

The first lift hill leave the station under the maintence building and returns at the same height as the maintence building, leading people to think about what happeneds inside the ride buildingAnd the theming plans haven't been written up yet so we will see them soonAnd it doesn't have a “beyond vertical” drop :P I think its saying that saw has and that makes limited noise.For anyone who is confuse I hope this clears it upPosted ImageThanks to Morgano of Ttf

oh right, thanks for this. it makes a lot more sense, and is very helpful to see.so there are 8 inversions outside, two lift hills (of some sort), some type of theming, and a very large indoors area (is the station building 50ft tall or something?) which may include more in it?this will definitely be one of the most interesting coasters in the UK, at least until we work out what happens inside the building.