The Flying Fish

AHW

The last two times in which ive been at thorpe I have seen the flying fish :SIsnt it next to depth charge somewhere?

Yes. It's to the left of depth charge if you are facing it, and just in front and to the right of tidal wave. (If you are facing towards tidal wave).

I wish they would speed the trains a bit more.For some reason I felt the older Flying Fish to be much faster than the new one.Is that right?

I think it is the same speed, but it might have seemed faster on the old fish because of all of the plants and theming. I know it sounds silly, but if you ride round and round close to the vegetation, it seemsslightly more thrilling and exciting. I know it used to run at 19mph. I presume it's the same now, I don't know.

I was Just browsing YouTube on a boring teusday afternoon , as you do, and found this video which has some nice footage of the old flying fish , not much but still , thought it might bring back some memories for some of you.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mw3kJk4NTc...feature=relatedtheres the link and its at about 2:51And I think it looks quite a bit faster than it is currently, may just be the way its been filmed though.

I was Just browsing YouTube on a boring teusday afternoon , as you do, and found this video which has some nice footage of the old flying fish , not much but still , thought it might bring back some memories for some of you.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mw3kJk4NTc...feature=relatedtheres the link and its at about 2:51And I think it looks quite a bit faster than it is currently, may just be the way its been filmed though.

That's some nice footage there. I know this is slightly off topic, but I do love that video as a whole. I love the way the rides are filmed, and there are some interesting camera angles and shots in there.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

clickyHow I miss the old fish!

Ahh, I used to love that friendly little fish fountain! Shame the park just dumped it in a field and left it to rot, rather than give him a re-paint. Would've been great to include him into the new, rather bare looking V2 of the fish what we are left with now.I have pictures that I will dig out and upload. Shows all of the old ride cars dumped there too. Such a waste.. :lol:

Well, bumpy wise, it's the same as it was in it's old guise! There is a lack of theming around the ride compared to the original fish, yes, but I do love the new character it's been given and the audio. I did hear some kids coming off of it a while back, all hyped up and they loved it! Imagine if X was turned forwards and bought outside? Another stepping stone for the little ones before they head over to the bigger coasters.Compared to the old fish yes, it isn't anywhere near as great.

I did hear some kids coming off of it a while back, all hyped up and they loved it!

Sounds like me :lol:, Even though it's got less scenery and stuff I still like how it is now with the surfer theme almost as much as before.it doesn't have as much of an 'Atmosphere' though, if that makes sence (I don't know how to spell that, my bad)

Imagine if X was turned forwards and bought outside?

That's a great idea!

The Flying Fish has actually grown on me a lot since 2007. I have great memories of the pre-2005 ride, yet in terms of theming, all I remember is a lot of shrubbery, the fountain, but actually a lack of buzzing atmosphere. I don't remember any particular audio on the ride, which in my opinion has the ability to completely change a ride experience. I love the 'surfer' theme of the new Flying Fish, and the audio too. The announcements are perfect for the ride, and the positioning (just beside Neptunes Beach, near Tidal Wave) is excellent. I agree, the ride now has an atmopshere, which at times can be electric (especially when it's the first ride of the day). At the launch in 2007, I wasn't awfully keen on the ride, as I had the great, childhood memories still lodged in the back of my brain. But now, 3 years down the line, those memories have gone, and I absolutely adore the fish for what it is.