Merlin Annual Pass 2011 Restrictions

Benin

So I don't get your point about that... Yes it might be worth me getting the Premium Pass, but why should I just so I can get rid of restrictions? Merlin have handled this really badly by leaving it a day before coming out with something, as due to the nature of Facebook, the reputation was tarnished within minutes of the discovery...

I agree with that, it dont look great on their facebook page and should have said something sooner, but now they have I dont think the deal is as bad as it seemed when this was first announced with people jumping to all sorts of conclusions.

As I said, it didn't sell last year, Merlin are trying to make up the numbers but the way they have done so has disillusioned many of their AP holders both enthusiast and non-enthusiast alike... What with holidays abroad being relatively cheap now (especially to Europe), annoying your more loyal customers is not a great business plan...

I cant remember the last time when enthusiast groups didnt moan about somthing which either Merlin have done or one of their Theme Parks over the years, no one likes price increases, my self included but everything in life only goes up and I dont see why theme parks would be expected to be any different, with a on the day ticket for that parks around the £40 mark, £175 for a years worth of unrestricted unlimited entry dont sound that bad..The premium pass is now effectively what the annual pass was back in 2003/4 etc, the standards a cut down version. For the small difference in price I suspect most will now opt for the premium.

I cant remember the last time when enthusiast groups didnt moan about somthing which either Merlin have done or one of their Theme Parks over the years, no one likes price increases, my self included but everything in life only goes up and I dont see why theme parks would be expected to be any different, with a on the day ticket for that parks around the £40 mark, £175 for a years worth of unrestricted unlimited entry dont sound that bad..

I never said it wasn't bad value, the AP has ALWAYS been good value, regardless of the price increases that have occurred...HOWEVER, what I have a problem is that in order to get the full amount of perks now I have to part with even more money to Merlin... That's just not on... Especially when they're bombarding normal pass holders with restrictions in order to make the more expensive one more attractive... A simple ruse that I just don't approve of because of how poorly those tickets sold last year...

But the reason they sold badly was because they didnt offer enough over the standard one surely? When I considered it at the start of this year weighing up the options, the Premium just wasnt worth it even with having to pay for fright nights and losing London in summer, I couldn't justify it and I'm guessing the vast majority were in the same position. It was inevitable to make the Premium annual pass a more premium product the standard one would lose benefits from it. I can eventually see the standard annual pass being phased out more and more, and the premium one becoming the standard at the higher price... back where we were a few years ago basically at a higher price.

Of course the Premium wasn't worth it... Hence why no-one got one...But doing it this way hasn't worked for them... Simple as... Not everyone can afford to give out the extra money at the current time... People's reactions say it all... In this economic climate, we don't want to over-spend too much on needless entertainment things... Playing around with the perks in this manner will lose Merlin custom... No more short staying customers will mean quite likely a loss of income somewhere along the line, be it for food or merch...I keep saying disillusion right now because that's how the majority of people feel... And of course for enthusiasts why stay with Merlin when there's a vast number of cheaper, newer and more awesome European parks?If it was obvious that the money from the parking charge was going into the parks, it would be more easy to deal with... But what are we getting this year? A 2nd hand 'water' ride, a 4D cinema, a Sea-Life and new barriers... You go to places like America and Europe where both charged and non-charged car parks exist it is obvious that for the most part they do care, repainting and repairing things nicely, even if it takes longer to do... That doesn't happen here...You go to Europa Park and know EXACTLY that the money you paid for parking and entry is going straight into the park in some way shape or form due to the quality all around...And if it ends up with the standard one being phased out, what's the point of all this? We'll just end up in the same situation...

Agreed, I do wonder if people would have taken a "new" unlimited / unrestricted pass at £175 being the only option better than the news of the loss of perks on the standard one but I guess we will never know..

I keep saying disillusion right now because that's how the majority of people feel... And of course for enthusiasts why stay with Merlin when there's a vast number of cheaper, newer and more awesome European parks?

Agree to a degree, but even enthusiasts, you cant just "pop" abroad like you can with the merlin parks, espically if you live around the southern area and the pass will still offer the flexibility it allways has, even with the standard pass, £5 on food, £5 (max) on parking isnt a majorly expensive day out. I would be very surprised if guest numbers are majorly effected by it..

Agree to a degree, but even enthusiasts, you cant just "pop" abroad like you can with the merlin parks, espically if you live around the southern area and the pass will still offer the flexibility it allways has, even with the standard pass, £5 on food, £5 (max) on parking isnt a majorly expensive day out. I would be very surprised if guest numbers are majorly effected by it..

It won't... Because people are easily swayed by marketing... But they'll still lose some APers who will probs be replaced by new ones and so on...I got mine in October so I don't have much choice or worry... But it's still the principle of the thing...

It won't... Because people are easily swayed by marketing... But they'll still lose some APers who will probs be replaced by new ones and so on...I got mine in October so I don't have much choice or worry... But it's still the principle of the thing...

Thats the cruz of the matter. £175 isn't that bad all by itself for the amount of attractions and benefits you get. But when you compare it to last year, actually is is rather sneaky of them. It was inevitable that eventually the standard pass would become a bit rubbish though. I'm not bothering because real life is more important then a few days at theme parks. Considering I love theme parks (and I bet many are in the same position), it says a lot that Merlin have put a bad taste in the mouth.

Renewals Standard PassholdersStandard Passholders may renew to a Standard Pass forIndividuals - £108 inc. VATFamily of 3, 4 or 5 - £72pp inc. VAT Or may upgrade to Premium Pass when renewing forIndividuals - £129.60 inc. VATFamily of 3, 4 or 5 - £93.60pp inc. VAT Premium PassholdersPremium Passholders may renew to a Premium Pass forIndividuals - £129.60 inc. VATFamily of 3, 4 or 5 - £93.60pp inc. VAT Upgrades All current Standard Passholders may upgrade at any time to a Premium Pass from the 4th January for just £30pp Tesco Clubcard token holders – 2011 If you currently hold Tesco Clubcard tokens for a Standard Merlin Annual Pass please be advised that if you exchange your token for a Pass before the 3rd January 2011 standard parking will remain free with no further changes until Pass expiration. After the 4th January, the 2011 Terms & Conditions apply. Prices and information correct at time of release

Last time I checked, it cost £100 to renew my standard pass last year. Prices have not gone down for renewal. Marc, the main problem people have with this is the renewal prices.

Theyve released a few more details now..If your renewing a 2010 Standard AP to a 2011 Standard AP it will cost £108 (No free parking / entry to Lego after 2pm in august)If your renewing a 2010 Standard AP to a 2011 PREMIUM AP it will cost £129.60 (No restrictions atall)If your renewing a 2010 Premium AP to a 2011 Premium AP it will cost £129.60If your using Tesco clubcard vouchers, you can upgrade to a premium pass for just £30, all standard pass holders can upgrade to a premium for just £30 after 4th jan..

Last time I checked, it cost £100 to renew my standard pass last year. Prices have not gone down for renewal. Marc, the main problem people have with this is the renewal prices.

They only released the renewal prices within the last hour...the moanings been going on alot longer than that!

Sorry Merlin, I'm not paying £25 more for your pass. You can shove it to be honest, especially when this year most of your new attractions open in September anyway and your theme parks are only adding one worthwhile ride (if that).

Slightly confused. How would you pay £25 more for the pass? Unless I'm missing something really simple? Posted Image

When we already knew of a decrease in price...

2010 AP Price = £1502011 Premium Pass Price = £175That's where Mark got the 25 quid from... As to get the same basic thing as last year (bar the London August restriction) you have to pay that as a 'difference'... Decrease or no decrease in the actual cost, there's still an increase...In addition, renewal of a standard pass has gone UP by 8 quid... Where did they pull that from?

2010 AP Price = £1502011 Premium Pass Price = £175That's where Mark got the 25 quid from... As to get the same basic thing as last year (bar the London August restriction) you have to pay that as a 'difference'... Decrease or no decrease in the actual cost, there's still an increase...In addition, renewal of a standard pass has gone UP by 8 quid... Where did they pull that from?

Ah right, see what he means now. Cheers for clearing that up. :)

I am guna get a Premium pass TBF, I think after 2010 season of me not being able to use my pass and having to pay at other times was far too frustrating to bother with. I dont care about the car parking charge because obviously I don't currently drive however I aim to drive by end of 2011/begining of 2012. Even then it won't matter as I'll I have a premium pass. IMO I think merlin are trying to push people towards buying a premium pass by having such a large difference between the standard and premium pass.

I think Merlin have realised that the cost of the pass has been somewhat undervalued for a while. They haven't really risen prices, certainly not for renewals, for around 3 years now - yet I know abroad parks raise their Annual Passes by a few pounds or so every year.Frustrating, but a Premium Pass is the way to go now.

I think Merlin have realised that the cost of the pass has been somewhat undervalued for a while. They haven't really risen prices, certainly not for renewals, for around 3 years now - yet I know abroad parks raise their Annual Passes by a few pounds or so every year.Frustrating, but a Premium Pass is the way to go now.

But the prices have been decreased, how does that make them undervalued? Surely if anything that means they are overvalued? Renewals indeeed have gone up, but as the premium is the first for renewals, we wernt sure. and the renewal for standard has risen £8

• 1 month later...

I went to collect my Merlin annual pass today from the london dungeons all went fine and we went through without questioning (both me and my friend are 15)however, at the london eye+sea life centre they wouldn't allow us in because we were under 16, I was wondering if this was a frequent occerence as they showed no hesitation to let us into the dungeons as we had handed over our money for our passes despite having the same age restrictions?

28. Visitors under 12 years of age to The Alton Towers Resort and Theme Park, THORPE PARK, LEGOLAND Discovery Centre Manchester and Chessington and visitors under 15 years of age to Madame Tussauds (London) must be accompanied by an individual aged 18 years or over. Visitors to Warwick Castle, London Eye, the Dungeons and Madame Tussauds (London) under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an individual aged 18 years or over. Visitors under 14 years to LEGOLAND Windsor must be accompanied by a person aged 16 years or over.

Annual Pass terms and conditions. So really, you shouldn't have been able to go to the Dungeons, but money is money I guessHowever:

5. The purchaser of the Annual Pass must be 18 years or over.

You technically shouldn't have been able to buy one anyways... ;)It's dependent on the member of staff really. Last season, when I went to get my AP from Thorpe, I was told to actually collect, I'd have to be with someone over 18, because I was under 18, so they could 'buy' it. I was given the token thing (the whole idea of speeding the queues for APs up..), went back at the end of the day, no problem at all. Technically, you shouldn't have been allowed in, but some staff are more lenient then others I guess.

^It's not singling out... It's just simple law...16 is generally regarded as the age when young'uns are able to behave (of course, this often is disproven on a regular basis), and it's generally the attractions covering themselves should anything bad happen due to unsupervised silly people...Had to enforce that policy on the Eye in summer... Quite simply because if he didn't have an adult of 18 with him in the case of an emergency we (the attraction AND staff) would be liable for any harm caused to him during commotion...So you shouldn't have been sold the Pass or let into the attraction... And it's occurrence isn't THAT often because not many non-supervised groups of kids come to the attractions, the rest is up to the staff member, who could easily be disciplined/sacked for it...So yeah, it's the attractions covering themselves for it... Dunno about the 18+ to buy the pass though...

• 3 months later...