Merlin Annual Pass 2011 Restrictions

Benin

Here's what was said at the latest board meeting with Merlin Senior Mangement:"Oh, our profits are severely down this year for our UK attractions, what's happening!?!""Well I have absolutely no idea, that has shocked me if I'm being honest, we have invested heavily this season. Sheeet, wha are we going to do?""Well we've contacted our theme parks resorts, and they have said that if we reduce their budgets any more, they're going to have to make several staff redundant and lay off hundreds of front line staff"."Yes, that's what we did at Chessington a couple of years ago, remember?""Oh, yeah, so what do you suggest?""Well, we've looked at our figures and have noted that a large proportion of our Annual Pass holders who visit us, are much less likely to spend on park"."Right, so you're saying we better raise those prices quick!""Yes! And plus they're getting a really good deal as it is, we need their money, for our shareholders and for our own reputation, they can spare an extra few quid"."Agreed, plus, we deserve the extra profits from them after the fuss they made about the car parking fee. Do they not realise I need my second home and three holidays a year?""Right so that's settled then, Annual Pass prices increased. I'll leave that with you lot then whilst I'm away, my family are off to Disney.""Oh really, I hope you enjoy yourselves, though have you been on Expedition Everest?""Yeah, but it's no where near as good as our Thirteen"."Yeah exactly!".This wouldn't surprise me, instead of seriously looking at where the company is going wrong, they just raise prices and expect people to not make a fuss because they know people will still buy them.

Anyone know the renewal prices?Luckily I don't have to worry until Septmeber and I will money saved up by then :blush:Edit - don't worry, just found them.Renewal for standard pass (online) - £108Renewal for Premuim (online) - £126.90That's not too bad :blush:

Anyone know the renewal prices?Luckily I don't have to worry until Septmeber and I will money saved up by then :blush:Edit - don't worry, just found them.Renewal for standard pass (online) - £108Renewal for Premuim (online) - £126.90That's not too bad :blush:

That's only till the end of June. They are going to change then too :)

My mum and nan were able to get their AP's in March with the Capital FM Voucher thing, but were able to have them expire at the end of next April (as their previous pass was due to run out at the end of April, but the voucher expired at the end of March). They had to give up their old passes though.Not sure whether it always works like that, or was just a one-of..

I paid £100 for my Standard Renewal, with barely any restrictions - including parking - in February 2010. They charged £200 for the Premium Pass last year, and lowered it to make it more attractive. Now they have put it up again to £186 (new)... only £14 less than it was before.So a renewal for me will be over £130 now - 30% rise on 14 months ago.

Posted on Merlin's Facebook a few hours ago.

Increased Merlin Annual Pass Pricing - May 2011A number of you have asked for clarification on the reasons for the recent increase in the prices of the Merlin Annual Pass: – Primarily this reflects the addition of 7 exciting new attractions in the UK’s favourite seaside town – Blackpool – which will be available to Passholders in the next few monthsNOW - Madame Tussauds BlackpoolFrom September - The Blackpool Tower Dungeon' date=' The Blackpool Tower Eye Experience including 4D pre-show, The Blackpool Tower Circus, The Blackpool Tower Ballroom and Jungle Jims– Even more exciting rides and shows in all our attractions this year - including the unique Atlantis at LEGOLAND® Windsor; Vengeance ride at the London Dungeon and Sawney Bean – the cannibal in Edinburgh; Storm Surge at THORPE PARK; Penguins in the Ice Adventure at the SEA LIFE London Aquarium; Azteca in SEA LIFE Chessington; and Merlin’s Apprentice at LEGOLAND® Discovery Centre amongst others– Fantastic new investment already announced for 2012 including major new rides at THORPE PARK and at Alton Towers Resort– Merlin absorbed the 2.5% increase in VAT introduced in January The new prices will apply for new Passes purchased from Friday 20th of May; while the increase in renewals prices will not kick in until Friday 1st of July. Tesco Clubcard tokens are unaffected by these prices rises. If you have any questions please contact merlin.annualpass@merlinentertainments.biz[/quote']It grates me slightly that they are claiming to absorb the VAT rise when really they just passed the cost onto the customer in a lot of cases.

Alton Towers were due a medium investment next year. Medium at Alton usually applies to investments around the £6-£10m mark. So we could see a pretty decent development. A Large development was planned for 2013. However, since the 2011 project was shelved - perhaps they have more money for 2012. As a result, perhaps 2012 AND 2013 will now be large projects (£12m+?).