THE SWARM: Speculation & Theories

ZC2009

Might as well add my idea to this:What I thought was the area should be themed like a nuclear winter with destoyed houses and no or very few plants. The que and station should be located in a large nuclear power plant that appears to be abandoned. Once inside it should all look very mechanical and this can be exaggerated with coloured lighting and possibly strobes. When you reach the station platform alarms can be sounding and warning signs flashing around the room. When the guests have boarded the train it should head through the dark areas of the building and then head up a lift hill lit by flashing yellow lights only. When it reaches the top the lights will shut off leaving the passengers in the dark and building suspense. Then suddenly in a bright flash of light the train will plummit down the hill and head outside to the rest of the track, which I can't be bothered to think up! :P

You know what my theory is?Let's all get a life and just wait until 2012 to find out what the coasters about!

We'll all follow you then. From the joy of rollercoasters, imagination, fun, enjoyment, fantasy, storytelling to the dull dismal world of work, getting the bus to school/work, pay freezes, unemployment, recession, death, rape, torture.Gee, I love having a life sometimes. :P

So after a bit of looking about, it seems the whole concept behind this 2012 thing comes from the Mayan calendar (Lost City??? hehe). Basically the 13th calandar cycle (13 Baktuns adds up to a "Great Cycle") will end December 21st 2012 to complete a 'Great Cycle'. They believed in cycles closing, 1 day is a kin, 20 days is a winal/uinal, 360 days is a tun, a katún is 7200 days or 20 years, and the biggest cycle is the baktún or the 144000 days or 20 katuns. The date December 21st, 2012 (13.0.0.0.0 in the Long Count calandar), represents an extremely close conjunction of the Winter Solstice Sun with the crossing point of the Galactic Equator and the Ecliptic, what that ancient Maya recognized as the Sacred Tree. The begining of the cycle would be (day 0.0.0.0.0) on 11th August 3114 BC (That must be the last alike 2012 event basically). In a nutshell without going into detail, the solar cycles happen roughly 11 years apart, we apparently missed our most recent one. The science boffins think the alignment is effecting gravitation field influencing the sun. The event could be a natural cycle of solar bursts, but on a bigger scale, which could potentially scorch all or parts of the earth at its very worst. Its not the end of the world though, it will still be here. Its just the end of this apparent great cycle, and another starts. We could even just have a massive EMP burst after effect, killing electronics... ----Thats me trying to make sense of it all. I may have buggered up some facts, someone else may be able to explain it better, but you get the idea I hope... its quite a deep, depressing theme to do... and its basically Colossus and Lost City style if they continued the Aztec/Mayan thing. Hopefully they focus more on the modern day apocolyptic side of it (solar alignments, solar bursts blowing up the landscape or something) if they build this on the islands though.Could be anything though... its just an idea...

Hopefully they focus more on the modern day apocolyptic side of it (solar alignments, solar bursts blowing up the landscape or something) if they build this on the islands though.

LOST Island?? :P Like the Dharma People drilling and coming across a pocket of electro-magnetic substance which causes an explosion or a meltdown of technology...?

Alternatively, it won't have any form of ingenious backstory like A-Kid said as Mr Wardley believes that normal guests don't give a crap about backstory?It will probably be some form of dark theme where we have to attempt to escape something bad happening but naturally it happens and we're caught in it, then manage to escape... Although...

20 katuns

That WANTS!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've got my fingers crossed that this turns out to be a B&M Stand-Up with multiple inversions and around the 45metre tall mark but I'm not going to hold my breathe as I just cant see this happening, this country seems ellergic to Stand-Up's. Shockwave at Drayton Manor is the only 1 in the country so far and that opened way back in 1994, and it's not a B&M which offers the smoothest ride and best inversions, I think thats a Vekoma isnt it? I could be wrong, but I found it to be rather rougth and a little tame compared with the big 1's in America like Riddler's Revenge!

I would love a Hyper-coaster more than anything but I know that's never going to happen sadly.Realistically I would love for Thorpe to get a flying coaster or a woodie but they also look pretty unlikely for the time being. Maybe a floorless coaster (Like Kraken) is possible.As long as the ride is good then it doesn't need to break any records or do anything amazing. Just a regular coaster would be fine as long as the layout is creative. It looks like the theming is gonna be good on this ride though. I doubt it will relate too closely to the 2012 theory because (as many people have pointed out) the ride will look lame in 2013. I expect it might be themed in a post-apocalypse city or something. maybe it won't even have anything to do with the end of the world lol

What do you mean that a Woodie won't suit thorpe park? A woodie would suit the park very well. The only issue is that the engineering team have not been trained to maintain wooden coasters so they do not want the park to build one. A Woodie may also be too dense for the island as well.But a woodie does suit thorpe park. If they were to get a woodie it would be brilliant.I don't think that LC12 will be a woodie, though :rolleyes:.

Stand - Up's are crap, urm have you been on any of the ones in America? Mantis and Riddler's Revenge are amongst the best rollercoasters I have been on!!

The thing is, everyone will have different views. You may like them, others may not. Bottom line is, they've become less popular (as Benin rightly pointed out, when was the last one built?) and parks are less inclined to build one now. Chances of LC12 being a stand up are unlikely, so, y'know..

The majority of people dislike Stand-Up's. They are not very popular any more which is a very good reason for thorpe not to build one.If you like Stand-Up's then that's fine KnightKnuckle, but you really should respect other peoples' opinions.I've never ridden one so it's not for me to judge how good a Stand-Up is, but most people who have been Stand-Ups are saying that they are not very good. Thorpe would rather have something that the majority of people would actually approve of and not a very unpopular ride that is not particularly liked by many people.

I have a theory about this ride.. I think it started with a premise.. What would it feel like to be borne unto the air by a nuclear blast?With that I think that we will get a wing rider but a wing rider with a difference. I think that we will get Air style seats, with a wingrider style car chassis, with maybe a pivot connecting the seats to the car. I think the start wil be some kind of inclined launch to give you that feeling of the blast.

• 1 month later...

and do we really want Thorpe to look any more tatty and worn down than it already is?

Exactly, Flying over the remains of London's most iconic structures.. escaping from the disaster that has hit the earth > Flying over a crash scene with a crashed helicopter and aeroplane. But I guess they are spending £18 million so ill just wait and see!Also I'm glad to see Merlin's coaster budget getting closer to the likes of Cedar point

• 2 weeks later...