THE SWARM: Speculation & Theories

ZC2009

Aye, this is a problem I noticed when I finally got round to riding Saw (June of this year) - the queue line was horrendous, and the traps and rusty scrap bits of whatever were hardly interesting. Nice to note people were kind enough to throw coinage onto one of them - probably because they thought Thorpe would appreciate the gesture. Looked more like a subtle hint that the general consensus of the queue line was that it needed improving.I vote we get benches in LC12's queue line. ;)

Queueline benches for sure. Last time I queued for SAW the line was massive, it took a huge while before I could sit in the car. By then me walkers were stinging hard.As for theming, well, Thorpe wanted to theme the station around Jigsaw's hideout, they got it horribly wrong, seeing as his hideout was a meat packaging factory, not some old rusty warehouse. And they also thought his hideout would have to be full of traps visible to all who entered. Again, wrong. Jigsaw wouldn't want the police getting their hands on his traps (evidence for his crimes) that he sees as therapy lessons that make life's losers appreciate their lives more than wasting them on drugs or other **** like that. Now SAW Alive, it focuses more on scaring riders ****less rather than showcasing the traps and hoping the riders would be afraid of them. The ride itself had nothing to do with SAW, other than the fact it was to be treated as one of Jigsaw's newest games.

Queueline benches for sure. Last time I queued for SAW the line was massive, it took a huge while before I could sit in the car. By then me walkers were stinging hard.As for theming, well, Thorpe wanted to theme the station around Jigsaw's hideout, they got it horribly wrong, seeing as his hideout was a meat packaging factory, not some old rusty warehouse. And they also thought his hideout would have to be full of traps visible to all who entered. Again, wrong. Jigsaw wouldn't want the police getting their hands on his traps (evidence for his crimes) that he sees as therapy lessons that make life's losers appreciate their lives more than wasting them on drugs or other **** like that. Now SAW Alive, it focuses more on scaring riders ****less rather than showcasing the traps and hoping the riders would be afraid of them. The ride itself had nothing to do with SAW, other than the fact it was to be treated as one of Jigsaw's newest games.

Well this just highlights how often Thorpe's ineptitude overcomes their goals. They aim to produce one thing but often do something completely different half-way though (Stealth's lack of grand-stand, Inferno's unfinished volcano and Saw's building). Don't forget Saw was originally thought to be an abandoned saw mill, so who knows at what point during planning permission did they seal the deal with LionsGate. They could've already specified dimension and materials for the building before the contract was signed, thus leaving Thorpe to pretend the saw mill idea was fan hype and it was meant to be for Jigsaw all along.

Well this just highlights how often Thorpe's ineptitude overcomes their goals. They aim to produce one thing but often do something completely different half-way though (Stealth's lack of grand-stand, Inferno's unfinished volcano and Saw's building). Don't forget Saw was originally thought to be an abandoned saw mill, so who knows at what point during planning permission did they seal the deal with LionsGate. They could've already specified dimension and materials for the building before the contract was signed, thus leaving Thorpe to pretend the saw mill idea was fan hype and it was meant to be for Jigsaw all along.

Just a small thing, Inferno and Saw (exception of windmill) actually turned out as planned. It is a common misconception that Inferno's volcano was unfinished due to budgetary reasons during construction. Yes, it's not complete and this is to save on money, but it was actually planned to be like this before construction started. Saw just had concept art which is meant to convey the overall style and mood of the attraction with a basic style of scenic elements. I believe they had planned to have the Saw franchise from very early on in the planning stages.Things change in the planning process, not always for budgetary reasons and this happens with every single project in every single working sector all over the world. However, we just have access to the planning information so we notice such changes.

Thorpe set out to make their coasters fast, furious and almost-deadly. This goal overcame what they wanted SAW to be; a perfect immortalization of the franchise in one epic rollercoaster. Sadly it revealed itself as nothing more than a simple addition to Thorpe's ever-growing collection of coasters. This LC12 better be worth the quid I pay to fly over and go there. If Thorpe belly-flops this, I simply cannot look at it as The Nation's Thrill Capital anymore.

Just a small thing, Inferno and Saw (exception of windmill) actually turned out as planned. It is a common misconception that Inferno's volcano was unfinished due to budgetary reasons during construction. Yes, it's not complete and this is to save on money, but it was actually planned to be like this before construction started. Saw just had concept art which is meant to convey the overall style and mood of the attraction with a basic style of scenic elements. I believe they had planned to have the Saw franchise from very early on in the planning stages.

I heard that the park had always planned it to be a horror film themed ride from early on, put the actual theme was somewhat 'fastracked' and a deal was secured in late Spring / early Summer 2008. Then the plans changed a couple of months later to get rid of the windmill, and instead build the Saw store and have the police car occupy the space of the windmill..

You've got to love a bit of Mutant Racers theme. ;)Nice video, loving the (as far as we know) original theme and lack of IP. They've got an opportunity to do something really special here. ;)

I fear that this new ride will fit in perfectly with a possible remake of the1978 film, The Swarm, which would be a shame

I fear that this new ride will fit in perfectly with a possible remake of the1978 film, The Swarm, which would be a shame

Having not seen the film, I have no idea what the film is about really. Would we not know about the film by now though? I've sort of got a feeling that this isn't going to be involved with any kind of intellectual property.

Well Thorpe's version doesn't exist yet, Raptor is the only other B&M wingrider.... so why wouldn't they use it? The concept art is also the same as Raptor with changed car graphics and background images.

Not to mention, don't Merlin own Gardaland? I'm pretty certain they have the right to film Raptor in place of LC12 if they want to give viewers a better (cough) glimpse of the ride in action.EDIT: I just called it LC12. It's official. The Swarm is a crap name.

Having not seen the film, I have no idea what the film is about really. Would we not know about the film by now though? I've sort of got a feeling that this isn't going to be involved with any kind of intellectual property.

The film is about a swarm of African killer bees attacking an Air Force base in Texas and destroying cities in America. Let's hope that this isn't significant

So was I mate, but there were so many posts I think nobody realised! More evidence is the bees in the top right hand corner of the concept art: Posted Image

Yeah I think we got ignored because of the hype earlier haha.I reeeally don't want this new ride to be attached to another film franchise... ;)