THE SWARM: Speculation & Theories

ZC2009

I do wonder how intense the ride actually will be. Considering the difference between Air and Tatsu, it could be something like that.But on the other hand, the seating will provide a much different layer/direction of stress and strain in both the track and train, so I'm holding my breath until I think it will be as intense as say, Nemesis. I sense the Wing-Riders could well ride very similarly to each other in a sense, without a huge amount of forces in any direction.

Nemesis has all the elements a great coaster should have. It is fast, has a tight course, multiple elements and keeps on relentlessly going right up until the break run. It offers an intense experience that not many coasters can supply from start to finish in the way it does. As much as The Swarm is going to be a fantastic coaster and by all accounts a fast and exhilarating ride, it wont be able to produce the sheer intensity of Nemesis. This you can tell from the layout alone. It is the reason that Nemesis is regularly declared in the top 10 best roller coasters in the world. I don't think The Swarm will match that accolade. But that does not mean it cannot be a great ride.

So, if you went to Blow It Up, you probably heard the DJ bigging up The Swarm, saying how it's the tallest and fastest winging coaster in Europe. http://www.thorpepark.com/default.aspxThe main website states it to be the 'tallest, longest and fastest winged roller coaster' in Europe. Interesting how Furius Baco at PortAventura, which is faster and longer, is overlooked and not being classed as a winged coaster. Personally, I'm not really that fussed by it all, but is there any reason for it be marketed in this way?

Maybe they simply ignored the Intamin model of the Wing-Rider seeing as it never really took off and the majority of the general public don't know as much about these technicalities as we do. Odds are very few of them have ridden Furius Baco and those that have wouldn't regard it as a "winging coaster".Besides, B&M Winged coaster have a look that's all their own. They shouldn't be down-played by a silly little Intamin who's ride-style went out of fashion as soon as it was built. -_-

Marketing speak is always making the ride itself look better than it actually is. And should never really have any attention paid towards it.Besides, it's only Baco. Not like they're ignoring a ride highly rated by everyone are they?EDIT - Though really, I don't see why things have to be the biggest or fastest, rides like Swarm which can be easily judged through visual senses and the like, don't need any extra advertising, whatever happened to the "build it and they will come" mentality? Are humans so fickle that any form of adding biggest/baddest in the north/south (this is more apparent in the US) that we lap it up, even though it's not factually true?Again, food for thought.

EDIT - Though really, I don't see why things have to be the biggest or fastest, rides like Swarm which can be easily judged through visual senses and the like, don't need any extra advertising, whatever happened to the "build it and they will come" mentality? Are humans so fickle that any form of adding biggest/baddest in the north/south (this is more apparent in the US) that we lap it up, even though it's not factually true?Again, food for thought...

This. I get the whole idea of it making it sound better, but I don't see why they've felt the need to go down this route. They've got that it's the first winged coaster in the UK, and they've got a great theme and story going so far; no real need for them to chuck on some 'Biggest and fastest' line.As said, I'm not bothered by it really, but just I just found it interesting that they've decided to go down that route considering the options they've got open to them..

I get the whole idea of it making it sound better, but I don't see why they've felt the need to go down this route.

Sorry, but this is basic marketing speech. It tells you what it does, and why you should go ride it.Plus, it's ALWAYS happened. Hello, nemesis "The worlds most intense ride experience" "sit back, its fright time"....

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought, after the inline twist you head straight into the break run. The platforms on either side of the first set of brakes (and arguably the second) will act as a great foot chopper. I just watch a recreation and even at a reasonable speed, I could imagine people thinking they are going to hit their legs on the platforms to the side.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry If this post seems a little random but originally it was just a reply in construction updates, I've got a little carried away :P

I bet the eyes are indeed LED, and isn't it already known that the trains are exactly the same as Raptor, only different in colour?

I've been following the project very rigorously and not seen this mentioned anywhere? Do you have a link?Considering the amount of money spent and the fantastic elements of theming we've seen so far I'd be very surprised (shocked) to see the same train design used. LEDS or not the train on the poster was one of the things I'm most excited about. It might just be me but it has an "Aliens" feel about it....could be interesting for any station sound effects :(Posted ImageOn a separate note, I would love to see a series of "build up" queue line videos so to speak. Could be like news reports such as in "Apocalypse" below....just an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-S_Faqscug

• 2 weeks later...

We can only hope that the Swarm announcements are anywhere as truly AMAZING as Raptor's <3Dispatch theme... Would depend on the look of the station, Raptor didn't have one (in the traditional sense) but it didn't lose anything for not having any music... Instead a light change and sound effects worked enough for it...