THE SWARM: Speculation & Theories

ZC2009

So your judging it based on the one thing you know about it? How interesting..In fact, what is it worse compared to? Saw - We had a closed ride for the most of the day with a few actors, Stealth, Opened quietly with no real big deal, Inferno, had its premier event with a few bits of fire and a 3 hour queue, Colossus, nothing?So if were comparing to thorpes previous ride openings it already sounds better.

I'm confused... It is to my understanding that some of you 'get off' over the way a ride is 'ceremonially' opened in America, but when a British theme park tries to do the same, that makes them bad? Have you even given them a chance? Like heck, what would you rather, a crappy ''drags gate cross concrete at entrance to mark the opening'' OR '' drags gate cross concrete at entrance entering to a live band... Typical.

No, this is NOT how America open their rides though is it?

Let's be honest here, what sounds better? Something that ties into the ride (like them singing Little Mermaid songs) is much better than a band that has no real ties to it...Not your cup of tea? How about Star Tours?

I'm not asking for much, hell just having some themed spiel opening (instead of the pointless facts and backstory towards the ride that's enthusiast pandering) with some action and explosions... That would be much better than some C list band that it seems no-one has ever heard of... Hell I wouldn't even mind if it was someone who was popular and well known... This is like the support band for the main gig really...

Well based upon the previous opening days that Marc pointed out, what else should we expect aside from actors (and a hopefully working ride)?As I said in the rest of the post, a major band would be more interesting and garner more pull than a band which suffers from the "lead singer sing sydrome" that most bands suffer... Of course the only people who know are ents and marketing, but so far, it's a bit tepid especially with all the marketing so far...I hope for more, I hope for actors, I hope for fireworks, I hope for a massive TV screen in the entrance with SFX and pre-recorded edited video with people being taken by the Swarm to build up tension... What I don't hope for is a third rate band that can't sing...Besides, I thought Thorpe and the band's style of music didn't work? Where's Skrillex when you need him?

Evidently people know more about this than they're explicitly saying... Sometimes I wish people would either keep schtum and let others have their views, cynical or not, or tell us. If people can't tell us, then as said, keep schtum...Anyways, rant aside, nice to see Thorpe doing stuff for the opening of Swarm. I jusr hope it isn't *just* a band singing a song, which would be a bit naff in honesty. Though, as said, it's something. :D

Christ, talk about an overreaction. Guess I should remember tongue-in-cheek comments aren't welcome here. Especially when according to Ricky here, none of us apparently know what we're talking about. In that case there might as well be no point in conversation here at all. Because we don't know what we're talking about... OH WELL.What I meant to do was just voice concern over how it might affect the atmosphere the ride is trying to portray. In my imagination it doesn't seem like the two would mix that well and the whole 'Swarm' experience might not be as wholesome and absorbing as it could be. But hey that's just my view and they may well end up proving me wrong, because I don't work for Merlin and I'm just a mere peasant. Better?Disclaimer: I fully appreciate my first comment probably wasn't necessary and could have been phrased better, but the elitist attitude of some people is somewhat irritating. I'm not sure what I can and can't say anymore before I get a hostile correction from someone apparently more 'in the know'. Remember we're only here because we care...

I don't think anyone here is saying it is a negative thing to try something new for Swarm's opening. From the information that is publicly released, we know the park are holding an event across the first few days. We know that there'll be actors across the area and we now know that there'll be a band, at least for the actual opening day.Whilst the band may not be my cup of tea, I do think it's cool that any fuss at all is being made. I think we've been so spoilt with this entire project that we've begun to take things for granted. From the sounds of things there will be a few more surprises in store, indeed, in-keeping with the ride's theme. I guess we'll have to wait and see on that front. Less than two weeks people!

I am somewhat sorry Dan for your thoughts, I am by no means making a claim I know more about the event, because as it stand I know no more about the event than you. I was unfortunately giving off a point where-by Benin and yourself are relating a negative comment towards the park in an unnecessary tone. Unnecessary because all you know is a band is playing at the park, you do not know what they will be playing, where they will be playing or why they are playing.I guess what I'm saying is, don't criticize something you haven't got the full picture on. Oh and by the way your disclaimer is false in the means that I've watched you shoot people down before for defending the truth (yes I am talking about myself). I spent a year away from this forum for the fact that I got shot down at every comment I made. Looks like I'm going to be bullied out the forum yet again by the likes of yourself and other amongst this so called community.

I'd just like to point out that most people (not everybody, but most) were saying a year ago about how crap and cheap this ride was going to be. What we got is a sexy new B&M type coaster in the UK that will most likely be AMAZING. Most people thought that most of the theming would be cut and it would look bare. What we got was a plane wing, fuselarge, helicopter, fire truck, church and a amazingly themed surrounding, and that's only from what we've seen. People had thought the adverts were going to be boring and no effort would be put in, look at what they produced in the last video.Now, what I'm trying to get at is, yeah, people are entitled to their opinion, ranting or not. However, due to all the facts I've mentioned a both, maybe if we wait until the opening day to see how it will be?Anyway, lets all try not to rip each other to pieces over a stupid band playing at Thorpe when their opening THE SWARM in less then, what, 11 days? :D

I couldn't agree with the above post more. As much as I don't like the songs of this band, and however much I doubt they will fit in with The Swarm, I'm still gunna wait for opening day to see what its like. However, this could go either of two ways; it could be a really awkward performance and everybody will just blank the band, or they will be amazing and the atmosphere of the area will be enhanced by their performance. I do hope for the second of these two outcomes, and that Thorpe have made yet another good move regarding The Swarm, but until Thursday I don't think it's worth arguing over how good this band will actually be.

I am somewhat sorry Dan for your thoughts, I am by no means making a claim I know more about the event, because as it stand I know no more about the event than you. I was unfortunately giving off a point where-by Benin and yourself are relating a negative comment towards the park in an unnecessary tone. Unnecessary because all you know is a band is playing at the park, you do not know what they will be playing, where they will be playing or why they are playing.I guess what I'm saying is, don't criticize something you haven't got the full picture on. Oh and by the way your disclaimer is false in the means that I've watched you shoot people down before for defending the truth (yes I am talking about myself). I spent a year away from this forum for the fact that I got shot down at every comment I made. Looks like I'm going to be bullied out the forum yet again by the likes of yourself and other amongst this so called community.

Yes, you're right, I've already admitted the phrasing of my post and my point in general should have been better. I just thought it was pretty obvious why people would air such concerns, especially after the video that was posted. No I don't know where and what they'll be playing, but from the limited information people are bound to scepticle of why this would benefit the opening day experience, especially with the kind of atmosphere The Swarm is trying to convey. It was just a concern, not a complete write off.I'm sorry you feel that way, frankly I can't remember me 'shooting down people defending the truth' in an unfair fashion but each to their own. I'm hardly bullying you out of this forum, my reply was in response to you making a sarcastic comment for someone elses opinion (not mine, but Benin's. He did just give his opinion regardless of whether you think what he said was necessary, when he might not know the full situation. The sarcastic response wasn't necessary either.) I took time out of the forum as well fairly recently for similar reasons anyway. I've no idea what my posting was like maybe a year or two ago but I know I've rarely posted and definitely changed my way of posting since then so if you can think of any recent examples do enlighten me and I'll take it on board. It is just frustrating for others to see those who probably have a lot more inside knowledge not always putting yourselves into the shoes of the general public, who only see what they want us to see and can only base our expectations on what's happened in the past. Not always you, but I remember it happening a lot before I left and was hoping it wouldn't be such an issue now.

I'd just like to point out that most people (not everybody, but most) were saying a year ago about how crap and cheap this ride was going to be. What we got is a sexy new B&M type coaster in the UK that will most likely be AMAZING. Most people thought that most of the theming would be cut and it would look bare. What we got was a plane wing, fuselarge, helicopter, fire truck, church and a amazingly themed surrounding, and that's only from what we've seen. People had thought the adverts were going to be boring and no effort would be put in, look at what they produced in the last video.Now, what I'm trying to get at is, yeah, people are entitled to their opinion, ranting or not. However, due to all the facts I've mentioned a both, maybe if we wait until the opening day to see how it will be?Anyway, lets all try not to rip each other to pieces over a stupid band playing at Thorpe when their opening THE SWARM in less then, what, 11 days?

Agreed, and I give full credit to Thorpe for everything they've down with this project. From the coaster itself, to the station floor paving, it's a beautifully designed ride in every aspect. I don't know anyone who thinks or remember anyone saying that the ride was going to 'crap' or 'cheap' but I haven't always been around so I'll take your word for it.Indeed, the debate's definitely gone on for longer than it needed to. We've aired simple concerns but as I said before, Thorpe could easily prove those wrong and I hope they do.

She was too busy preparing to release her 500th single.

and recording her seventh album in seven years! :blink:I agree though. I wish people stopped complaining about this ride and how they are opening it. At the end of the day, this is the first time I can recall a new UK ride getting a 'special' opening ceremony, even if it may just be a few actors and an obscure band. It's a great effort by Thorpe in my opinion and I can't wait to attend on the 15th! :D

I agree though. I wish people stopped complaining about this ride and how they are opening it. At the end of the day, this is the first time I can recall a new UK ride getting a 'special' opening ceremony, even if it may just be a few actors and an obscure band.

It's not unheard of. Sum 41 opened Air at Alton Towers in 2002.

This was discussed in another topic. They will be in Dublin as part of their tour on opening day so I highly doubt You Me At Six will be playing at The Swarms opening! :D They did release a video for one of their songs tonight (not sure which one) and I wasn't over keen on it, or many of the bands other songs. Hopefully this wont reflect on my opinion of The Swarm's queue music.