Closed Season

JoshC.

Most of the farm area was flooded in order to compensate the land infilling. See below. I think I also read somewhere about 6 years back that the rest of it was used for planting trees and shrubbery to be used in the park, although I could be wrong.

http://planning.runnymede.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/Generic/StdDetails.aspx?PT=Planning%20Applications%20On-Line&TYPE=PL/PlanningPK.xml&PARAM0=169971&XSLT=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Runnymede_AA/xslt/PL/PLDetails.xslt&FT=Planning%20Application%20Details&PUBLIC=Y&XMLSIDE=&DAURI=PLANNING

http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/10105-themed-areas/#entry160297 Confirms a new park map style for next season.

Also 'confirms' the map will be changing in style for fright nights, which it didn't!

There will be a lot of changes to the Park over the coming months! We can't confirm yet whether this will involve a stronger return to the themed areas but the Park Map will definitely be changing in style for Fright Nights and next season onwards :)

But my point was that I read TPJames' post as if the actual new map design had been confirmed, not that there will be a new map. There is to one extent or another a new map design each year, so there obviously will be one. Whether that will be a completely new style or just the usual tweaks, who knows? There are a couple of things I thought were going to happen towards the end of the season to do with the direction and target of the park which never materialised, including the map change. I get the feeling the park themselves aren't entirely sure what market they are going to be aiming at, how far they'll push towards family, and therefore how much that is reflected in things like the park map.

It is about time we got a completely new look map though, I do expect to see one next season.

If you look back at old park maps, the design usually changes every 2 years. This year was the fourth year of the current design (though you could argue the past two years were slightly different due to the slight 'Swarmification' of the map).

So, I do expect the park map to change to some degree, and in honesty, I do think we'll see a notable change, not just slight cosmetic changes.

With regards to the FN map, whilst it pretty much was the same, the little characters that were dotted around the map were no longer there, bar a couple 'running away' from the entrance of the BWP. So there was slight cosmetic changes.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't find a relevant post beforehand so here goes, and this was meant to be for Alton Towers, but easily transferable to Thorpe, Chessington, Legoland, etc.

After I got back from the Fireworks I realised how upsetting it was that the season has come to an end, and it got me thinking, for most people the end of the season is just the end of the season and that's it, nothing is ever celebrated about the achievements of the year, and I saw this last year from BBC F1, and I thought, Alton Towers could easily do the equivalent for the season. Here is the BBC F1 Season take about a minuet to watch it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQgE4PpXAMs

Imagine if Alton Towers did this at the end of their season, but imagine the park empty, staff closing/shutting down the rides and queue lines, and perhaps following one member of staff who looks back towards the towers/General Park before he/she walks out leaving the season..."see you in 2014".
However the video could incorporate everything from the year from the snow/Christmas, Concerts, Fireworks, Scarefest the open season and all the new rides, attractions and shops/restaurants.

This could also be done throughout the year for each individual event ie Christmas/Ministry Club Nights, Scarefest/Fright Nights, Fireworks, Concert and general season.
What does this do?
Its an excellent marketing tool, promotes the park, advertises the park, and gives you that lump in your throat thinking, "I don't want the season to have ended, I can't wait for 2014", and I think this is what the video would do, and imagine this video on the websites homepage.

Hope you enjoy, and ponder on the idea.

I couldn't find a relevant post beforehand so here goes, and this was meant to be for Alton Towers, but easily transferable to Thorpe, Chessington, Legoland, etc.

After I got back from the Fireworks I realised how upsetting it was that the season has come to an end, and it got me thinking, for most people the end of the season is just the end of the season and that's it, nothing is ever celebrated about the achievements of the year, and I saw this last year from BBC F1, and I thought, Alton Towers could easily do the equivalent for the season. Here is the BBC F1 Season take about a minuet to watch it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQgE4PpXAMs

Imagine if Alton Towers did this at the end of their season, but imagine the park empty, staff closing/shutting down the rides and queue lines, and perhaps following one member of staff who looks back towards the towers/General Park before he/she walks out leaving the season..."see you in 2014".

However the video could incorporate everything from the year from the snow/Christmas, Concerts, Fireworks, Scarefest the open season and all the new rides, attractions and shops/restaurants.

This could also be done throughout the year for each individual event ie Christmas/Ministry Club Nights, Scarefest/Fright Nights, Fireworks, Concert and general season.

What does this do?

Its an excellent marketing tool, promotes the park, advertises the park, and gives you that lump in your throat thinking, "I don't want the season to have ended, I can't wait for 2014", and I think this is what the video would do, and imagine this video on the websites homepage.

Hope you enjoy, and ponder on the idea.

They do something very similar but only the staff see it at the end of year party, obviously the quality isn't amazing and if it was to be shown to the public they'd have to get a proper camera crew in with editing which would probably be very expensive.

That was also my inspiration, I kept thinking, if they used it as a genuine marketing tool, there is nothing more thrilling than seeing an end of year video, a proper one which shows the park in its ultimate light, it is incredible marketing, and encouraged people to see the next installment and makes them want to come and visit again!

I understand budget issues, but it could easily go into the 'advertising' aspect of the business! But I am glad some of you enjoy the idea! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I love seeing these sorts of things, thanks for sharing. How about an addition to the VIP package line up for closed season, 'come and take a ride apart with us' offer. I'd be up for that!

If you have any ideas for something we're not currently offering, send an email over to our VIP manager at vip@thorpe-park.co.uk and she'll be able to tell you if it's possible! :)