Closed Season

JoshC.

Storm Surge look flaming awful IMO - and some of the sounds the thing makes are a tad disturbing. I personally would like to see it have a good clean (and depth charge for that matter) - I hate the metal supports and wish they could somehow be disguised - maybe wrap some foliage round them?! :unsure: Also agree about the trough - I think the ride needs a fair bit of work doing on it, not only for appearances sake but the ride experience itself - it not longer spins, takes about 2 years to get to the top of the lift hill and then once the ride is over, you spend another 2 years bobbing about waiting to get off - and that is after you qhave queued 2 years to get on the damned thing - I have literally no idea how it attracts such big queues.....

It attracts queues because it has an awful throughput... Hence why in the weird world we live in Swarm never seems to have a queue longer than the likes of Saw and Stealth, and of course Tiny Truckers at it's 150pph throughput always is combined with a 45 minute plus queue...

The slap-bang in the middle of the park location also means it garners the queues because it's one of the first non-thrill rides people see these days...

It's a shockingly embarassing attraction for a park that proclaims itself to be top dollar... The ride itself (or at least, the counterparts that I have experienced) isn't too bad when worked with well, just Storm Surge isn't at all...

• 1 month later...

No idea where to post this, but it's probably handy for some to know:

http://www.thorpepark.com/prices/modal/annual-pass-opening-hours.aspx

If people have ordered / going to order an AP online and are planning to collect it from Thorpe, the AP office is open again during certain times over the closed season, so you can collect it then if you wish. :)

I went to Thorpe today to renew Merlin Passes.

The entrance is in exactly the same state as it was in November, so it looks like we won't be seeing an updated entrance this year. Aside from that, nothing out of the ordinary to comment on (although the staff in the annual pass building did have angry birds mousemats!)

I went to Thorpe today to renew Merlin Passes.

The entrance is in exactly the same state as it was in November, so it looks like we won't be seeing an updated entrance this year. Aside from that, nothing out of the ordinary to comment on (although the staff in the annual pass building did have angry birds mousemats!)

is vortex dismantled?

*Inserts Mark's joke about last season's joke about potential flooding at Thorpe*

I've found the cause of the flood, it shouldn't be unexpected..

116675.jpg

http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/9916-thorpe-flooding

;)

Though considering it was one of Chertsey's worst floods since the 1950s (so much so that Chertsey bridge was closed for a while, for example), I too wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of flooding around the park...

• 9 months later...

So it's now technically closed season. Here's some original conversation points to make this closed season fly by:

-Will Logger's tunnel be rebuilt?

-Colossus needs repainting.

-Inferno should be repainted.

-Was this Slammer's last season?!?

-Intamin ZacSpin.

-Rush needs some extra work done to it, it was disappointing this season.

-Rumba Rapids retheme plz.

-This should go on the Fungle Safari.

-Intamin Aqautrax.

-X should be re-rethemed.

-*Insert old shipping container jokes that stopped being funny a year ago here*.

-Will Tidal Wave's fireball return.

-TPM awards ceremony controversy.

-*Pictures of a snowy Thorpe Park from years ago so that we're not so disappointed by lack-of-snow this winter*.

-"It looks like we're getting nothing for 2015, we know what's happening for 2016, so I've decided to start a 'New for 2017' thread".

-Fright Nights 2015 thread.

-And, of course, WHEN ARE THORPE GETTING A TOPSPIN?

I can't believe that the 2014 season has gone by so quickly. It's definitely been a mixed one at Thorpe - I've had some great days there and some truly awful ones.

I think that over closed season they need to give the park a PROPER overhaul as a lot of areas are looking rather run down. They also need to refurbish toilets as they are disgusting (apart from the Swarm island ones), and most importantly review their operations standards on rides and improve/replace their maintenance team.

So far I have no idea what's happening for 2015 apart from the new pizza pasta place replacing Pizza Hut (with an extrusion), construction of the 2016 dark ride and the Caroulsel's demise.

I get the impression we don't actually see a new ride next year considering we got Angrybirds last year and what's lined up in 2016 and more so a refurbishment such as Rumba, although there is Fungle's site now.

Really want to see loggers overhauled with a new tunnel, Colossus repainted and generally lots of little things replaced snd repaired throughout the park. But are these things going to happen? Probably not because Merlin aren't very good at upkeep at the best of times.

Edit- Bah typos