Closed Season

JoshC.

1 hour ago, IntThi said:

Idk what Mattgwise is on about but I agree Thorpe Park needs a massive overhaul in improving its attractiveness to guests outside of "look at us! We've got coasters!" - park clean up, improved signage and a more engaging social media manager. We get your target audience is 12-year-olds but the majority of your customers on social media aren't 12. 

OK perhaps I should have quoted what I was referring to for you. Look at the very last image in the post two above mine (by ChiapasC) and you'll know if you had read about the fiasco of unavailable attractions over the busiest weekend of the year. 

You are completely missing my point. The post I am replying to in this thread is essentially about the unprofessionalism of the social media team this year. A park for what ever reason closes its ride (whether their own fault or not is irrelevant to my point) yet they then make a post about a band regrouping and write #currentlyunavailable in the place of the one not there. It is not a sensible idea to do that when so many customers were recently angered for attractions not being available during a recent busy period. 

It's pathetic, makes them look so unprofessional.  Surprised they're getting away with it under Merlin but then again, this is the same company which allowed "it's better than nothing" on Alton's feed.

Thorpe's social posts in general have been dire this year, either "buy this" or weird attempts at trying to be 'relevant' and full of exclaimation marks even if it's a response to a complaint.  Says a lot about those running the park and possibly goes some way to explaining why the place is in such a mess.

Poor ride availability and poor social media professionalism are two completely things and should not be confused!

Thorpe’s social media especially now has literally gone down the pan, trying to use banter, slogans and memes to try and look cool and funny to the young market, but in reality it just looks immature and more dry than the budget for reopening Loggers.

The factor they are mocking their ride reliability will be more of an insult than a joke to their clientele.

But what do number of interactions actually count for? Sure, it increases outreach, but that's pretty pointless when what they're posting is effectively gibberish. And it hardly increases outreach in the first place when it's probably the same people interacting. It's the sort of stuff that small-scale pages do, not pre-established large companies too.

This doesn't even take into account that the type of people who enjoy this, like young teens, aren't exactly in their abundance on Twitter, preferring things like Snapchat (which, ironically, is severely under-utilised by Thorpe). It shows a complete lack of understanding of who they're trying to target, as well as how and why.

It also doesn't help when they post things which could be interpreted as hints to investments which aren't going to happen (see today's tweet). No Thorpe, that's not interacting with fans and being funny and clever, it alienates a large majority of people who don't about pointless teases, and sets expectations too high for the minority. Very definition of shooting yourself in the foot.

• 11 months later...

I don't even care anymore if there's nothing new for 2020. Just get rid of those stupid games machines in the Dome. Please. 🤣

They seem to be creeping further and further out of the games room they're supposed to be contained in.

If I hear that tone that sounds like it's being played on an electric keyboard from Toys R Us one more time they'll owe me 2 RMCs. But then again we'll never get 1 of those anyway.

1 hour ago, coaster38 said:

I don't even care anymore if there's nothing new for 2020. Just get rid of those stupid games machines in the Dome. Please. 🤣

Noooooo! The classic noise those grabber machines make is one of the last things remaining that has been there for years! Can't imagine walking in the dome and not hearing this... 

https://youtu.be/AO-p-KRZDgA

5 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Seeing Thorpe on The Apprentice last night, I had no idea the chairs in the 4D cinema were able to move so much. Or is that just me not being a true #themeparkfan?

I think one of the issues is that if they made full use of the range of motion, it would require much more maintenance. Equally, Thorpe would likely prefer to use it for a shock factor rather than immerse you into it and stuff.

As for The Apprentice episode, it really shows how the GP thinks. One group just chucking the most inversions and fastest accelerating coaster and whatever else sticks at the wall. The other group going for a backwards gimmick (I guess the idea was a backwards dive machine but the video seemed completely different lol). Big fat USPs to draw people in. But also a focus on storytelling and theming.

Obviously it's a very contrived environment, but it does give a rather sad look at what 'ordinary' people jump to when given a blank slate. However, I did like the fact that many felt a 15 inversion, 0-120mph in 1.5sec coaster was a bit sickly...

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 10:54 AM, Ivsetti said:

New parking system that the park's social media says the park will aim to implement for 2020. 

My guess is no barriers, and ANPR cameras. Pay at a machine or online, and if you don't then you get an extortionate bill in the post.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:54 AM, Ivsetti said:

• 4 weeks later...

The bit where they mention about crane and containers near the site of the proper hotel is also used regularly for storing, well, 'stuff'. Could literally be anything at this stage, especially without seeing what it was. 

Over closed season, there's plenty of cranes and containers making the rounds at the park.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Ivsetti said:

Does anyone know if "The Hunstman's Arms" F&B shop was open during 2019 or if it's something new for 2020? Just saw it on the app (it looks like it's themed to the Jungle Escape escape room). 

It was in the BBQ place (Dirty Hot Dogs under a tent or whatever it's called), at the other end closest to Old Town. 

It's literally just the bar, which only opens when busy and only serves alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...

Thorpe are still plodding on with their Closed Season updates..

Nothing particularly exciting this this update, but I know people enjoy these things.

This year's set of updates doesn't seem to have the same level of charm about it as last closed season for me personally.