Walt Disney World Resort

Benin

So it wouldwseem, but is there any need for Racers with Test Track around the corner?

Shame, studio tours can and should be very good and obvs suit a studios park. Would rather see a much improved version of the same rather than lose it altogether.

This is the company that has Dumbo, Orbitron and Magic Carpets of Agrabah all in one single park in California...

I doubt having Test Track nearby would make a difference, parks seem to not be too fussed over such things if an attraction is going to bring in the punters (see also Universal Orlando with Transformers next door to Spiderman)...

I can't see them doing Cars Land without Racers, I think Test Track and Racers can offer a different enough experience to each other to allow them to be in close proximity to each other. Although having said this I'm sure I read somewhere that Cars Land had been put on the back burner for now, while they concentrate expanding the Star Wars area of the park, presumably to capitalise on the impending surge in popularity when the new trilogy is released.

For Cars Land to become reality they need to close the Lights, Motors Action stunt show to allow for the necessary room for such an expansion, although I guess they could start work in the old tour area before having to close the show off. There is also rumours that Toy Story Mania is getting a second track expansion to tackle the capacity issues it has, similar to Soarin's expansion happening at Epcot, which I think is extremely admirable of Disney, I can't think of any other park that would go to the expense of that just to increase the capacity of an attraction which has been there for years.

I can't see them doing Cars Land without Racers, I think Test Track and Racers can offer a different enough experience to each other to allow them to be in close proximity to each other. Although having said this I'm sure I read somewhere that Cars Land had been put on the back burner for now, while they concentrate expanding the Star Wars area of the park, presumably to capitalise on the impending surge in popularity when the new trilogy is released.For Cars Land to become reality they need to close the Lights, Motors Action stunt show to allow for the necessary room for such an expansion, although I guess they could start work in the old tour area before having to close the show off. There is also rumours that Toy Story Mania is getting a second track expansion to tackle the capacity issues it has, similar to Soarin's expansion happening at Epcot, which I think is extremely admirable of Disney, I can't think of any other park that would go to the expense of that just to increase the capacity of an attraction which has been there for years.

The only reason those rides have such capacity issues is because there's nothing else for families to do at the parks. Whilst it's nice of Disney to make the effort - it would be much nicer if they'd start improving the parks - HS could use at least twice the number of rides it has, and Epcot needs more family attractions. I assume it's a lot cheaper to duplicate an old ride system than build an entirely new ride, hence the upgrades, but I can't see anything altruistic about it.

I think it's good that they're increasing capacity for staple popular rides such as Soarin and Midway Mania as it shows the parks do care about guest experience, satisfaction and keeping queues to a minimum. These may not be top new rides but they're certainly popular ones and would expect shall last for quite a long time at the resort.

As long as it doesn't squeeze or limit potential future expansion it's a very good move for both additions IMO.

Wouldn't ever see Merlin do something like this, although we did nearly see 2 detty's at one point although I doubt they'd have the space or budget snyway, unless you have some ridiculously low throughput rides -500 pph.

The only reason those rides have such capacity issues is because there's nothing else for families to do at the parks. Whilst it's nice of Disney to make the effort - it would be much nicer if they'd start improving the parks - HS could use at least twice the number of rides it has, and Epcot needs more family attractions. I assume it's a lot cheaper to duplicate an old ride system than build an entirely new ride, hence the upgrades, but I can't see anything altruistic about it.

I agree that the Studios is in need of more attractions to bring it up to par with the other parks, but I think it's harsh to say there is nothing else to do for families, and Epcot is certainly not short of attractions. If WDW didn't really care about the guest experience in relation to the queues or capacity of these two rides, they wouldn't be spending the large sum of money it will take to expand them, it's not like they can really use it as a marketing tool, I can't imagine them producing an advert saying that "Soarin'/Toy Story Mania can now handle double the amount of riders!", it'll just be an improvement that opens up relatively quietly.

Disney do this type of thing a lot, perhaps not increasing capacity, but improving their rides that have been around for decades, take all the technological improvements they made to Haunted Mansion in recent years, they could've quite easily just maintained what they had to begin with, but they added lots of new effects and interactive queue that have plussed the attraction, without a huge fanfare to launch it.

lol where has this midway cloning rumour come from?

Mostly from Screamscape. I believe it's been on the cards for a bit now, but the relocation of the Frozen merchandise shop from the Stage 1 building next to Toy Story Mania, has sparked the rumours off again that they may be preparing to start work on an expansion. I think it's purely down to the fact that the Frozen shop which is part of the temporary Frozen event, which is now running until the end of the year is supposed to be moving to the exit area of the Tram Tour. Which would seem weird to move a shop which is not going to be around for too much longer. Obviously this is all just rumours, but things are definitely pointing in this direction.

The Midway Mania capacity expansion was rumoured for the seasonally used building next to Midway Mania though long before the Backlot Tour was announced. Rumours circulating with that are for a Pixar sort of area so could include Cars and so on. 

Problem with Hollywood Studios is it was built in a rush against Universal, it's a tiny site and has seen little investment for a long time! In the long run I guess it will be good with the many attractions closing/rumoured to be closing but if you were to visit next year for example without Idol, Backlot Tour, and maybe Lights Action Motor show thing and Indiana Jones closed it will feel even emptier! That certainly won't help the other rides. But with Star Wars land almost a given in 5 or so years the park will probably be top notch again.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, my wife and I have decided to take our 3 children to Florida this summer.

We are all booked and paid for, and fly on 31 July, and are staying in a hotel on International Drive.  Our plan is to spend some days doing the Disney World thing etc.  Take in Universal Studios, SeaWorld, Wet n Wild etc..

My question is, does anyone know of anywhere that can do Disney passes cheaper than the ones I have seen online - maybe a discount code or something that can get me some money off when I purchase?   Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So following an incident on California Screamin', Selfie sticks are now banned from Walt Disney World entirely. If they could just find a way to ban them from life in general, that would be awesome. 

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/06/breaking-selfie-sticks-to-be-completely-banned-from-walt-disney-world-theme-parks-not-just-on-theme-park-attractions/