Walt Disney World Resort

Benin

2 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Phobia of dolls over here!

(Slightly off topic here)

My one piece of advice then, dont let it stop you doing anything. I used to have a real issue going on Saw but one day I grabbed a friend, told them to force me through no matter what I said, nearly dislocated their fingers with how tight I as holding their hand but ultimately I decided that the ride is worth it. Even if you only go on each ride once, even if you have to hug someone all the way round, try everything otherwise you'll kick yourself :)

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CharlieN said:

Isn't there going to be a GoTG dark ride at Universe of Energy at Epcot? That may just be a rumour though.

Disney can't use their rights to Marvel further east of a certain state (can't remember which one exactly) due to the pre existing contract between Marvel and Universal at Islands of Adventure, and this covers all of their Orlando parks. So there will never be Guardians if the Galaxy at Epcot :)

14 minutes ago, Celia Mae said:

Disney can't use their rights to Marvel further east of a certain state (can't remember which one exactly) due to the pre existing contract between Marvel and Universal at Islands of Adventure, and this covers all of their Orlando parks. So there will never be Guardians if the Galaxy at Epcot :)

Aren't there rumours of Tower of Terror in Orlando being converted to Guardians though?

That isn't happening and we are now more likely to see a GoTG ride at Epcot. 

The Marvel contract reads that because Universal has used characters from the Avengers team they have the rights to them all, thus the Avengers dark ride rumour for IoA.

There is nothing saying they won't spark a new deal to let Disney use certain characters. It's well known that Uni wants to stay away from using the film versions As they change so much so stick to the comic styles. Disney will probably want to use the film versions like Chris Pratt as Starlord for pulling purposes. So they might work with that. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

These animatronics are ridiculous. The movement is so smooth and natural - with multiple movements synchronised in such a beautiful manner.

This really is the future of dark rides, and that doesn't just mean screens and projections, animatronics can do an even better job of portraying motion. 

The second animatronic in this video is pretty extraordinary really:

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst Na'vi River Journey is undoubtedly visually stunning, I can't help but see this as a missed opportunity. It lacks content entirely, with no real narrative supporting it whatsoever. A good dark ride is supposed to draw you in, immerse you, and be memorable - but this just seems underwhelming. A waste of great tech, really.

1 hour ago, Cian said:

Whilst Na'vi River Journey is undoubtedly visually stunning, I can't help but see this as a missed opportunity. It lacks content entirely, with no real narrative supporting it whatsoever. A good dark ride is supposed to draw you in, immerse you, and be memorable - but this just seems underwhelming. A waste of great tech, really.

Much like the film then, so it's no real surprise...

This is the end of theme parks I'm not too keen on, just capitalising on global franchises and ticking the boxes of what's expected. The tech and detail is amazing, but what's it all for? An inflated commercial appeal and not much else really! All a bit showy off.

But the animatronics are truly incredible, no doubt about it!

Crazy to see some comments on videos from US fans saying its still not "realistic" enough, come on! As bizarre as fans can be over here sometimes, thank god its not as finicky as some Disney/Universal fans! Have they forgotten that parks are about fun and creative entertainment, not fulfilling some self-indulgent fantasy where everything must be as real as possible. How odd!

• 1 month later...

Lots of news from D23 last night, the best news being that Tower at Hollywood Studios seems to be safe from Guardians. Phew.

Firstly, a Tron coaster is confirmed for Magic Kingdom, to open in 2021 for the 50th anniversary.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/tron-attraction-coming-to-magic-kingdom-park-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Secondly, Ellens energy Adventure will be closing in August for a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction and Epcot will also see Paris's Ratatouille dark ride in the French pavilion.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/guardians-of-the-galaxy-ratatouille-attractions-coming-to-epcot/

Thirdly, the Great Movie ride at Hollywood Studios will be closing in August to make way for Micky and Minnies Runaway Railway. Not sure how I feel about this one.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/first-mickey-themed-ride-through-attraction-mickey-and-minnies-runaway-railway-coming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/

As well as all this approximate open dates were announced for the Toy Story land, Summer 2018 and a brand new Star Wars themed resort concept for Disney World was also unveiled. 

It seems that after years of Walt Disney World resting on their laurels, they seem to be firing on all cylinders. What do we think?