The Big Bad Movie Topic

Benin

This forum doesn't seem to have a place to review films and crap... So... I'm making one...And I'll start off with District 9...Rather interesting film tbh... Starting off all documentary but then changing genre as the film carried onto it's main central plot... Fairly interesting take on the state South Africa was in not too long ago and was certainly something that I really did enjoy...The aliens themselves looked excellent... And the general direction and behaviour exhibited by them was brilliantly done... I felt very sorry for them which was most likely the point of the film, so it certainly worked...Aside from the accents, a rather enjoyable, though-provoking excellent film... With a fun actiony climax and very nice ending...8/10

Little FockersWent to see this today, a good film all round but when compared to the older sequels (meet the fockers), it was not as good. Some of the jokes in it were a bit repetetive, however it still did have a good few chunks of funny bits in it, I.e one of the kids is asked to eat all of his food, he does so and then pukes all over the dad...Overall a good film, but I doubt there will be another sequel.Rating 6/10 :rolleyes:

Black SwanI watched this film today, thank god I didnt pay for it. What a waste of time and effort. This film is literally just an excuse for ballerinas to finger themselves and then commit suicide.There was no storyline at all, just random clips stuck together.Almost as bad as How To Lose Friends & Alienate People.Rating: 0.5/10

London Eye 4D Experience.10/10The greatest single piece of film I have ever seen. Need anything more be said? :rolleyes:

Personally I feel that the soundtrack is weak, and the story gets extremely lost in the middle... Some of the shots whilst good don't work well within the film...Too high a rating tbh...And thanks to that, I have Goldfrapp in my head... Git...

The King's SpeechGreat film. Saw it the weekend it opened, every showing was full so it's evidently going down well. I thought the plot was very well thought out and transcribed into film (not sure of the historical accuracy!), and there was some excellent acting, especially from Rush and Helena Bonham Carter... And Colin Firth I suppose - he's already winning awards for it! Well worth a look if you haven't already.9/10

127 HoursA really mind-blowing film that makes your life look pathetic! But really, a stunning film, great acting and I was captivated the whole way through. At first I was a little unsure whether I would 'enjoy' it, but the film just puts life into perspective and you really think about what you really value in life.By the way, one scene is so disgusting, not for the weak hearted.8/10

Get Over ItWow, bloody old school early 2000s film following the usual boy/girl at college relationship stuff...But it was rather amusing, and certainly shows a startling difference between 10 years of similar (read - same) films...Also, to see Kirsten Dunst, Mila Kunis and Zoe Saldana in one film was just random considering their current status in the industry...7/10

London Eye 4D Experience.10/10The greatest single piece of film I have ever seen. Need anything more be said? ;)

The seagul was the best actor, I heard he's up for a best actor oscar this year. Bravo. Just phenomenal.Saw Tangled today, was a lot better than I expected with a very good story line, but of course there was a lot of cheese and a happy smiley rainbow ending.So I'm thinking 8.5/10

Gulliver's TravelsWatched this film today, a really good film starring Jack Black as the main character, the transitions from when he is in the real world to when he is in Lilliput and is classed as 'the beast' to all of the citizens there were really good. They consider him to be a threat to them but he turns out to be really helpful when they are under attack. Yes, Catherine Tate & James Corden are in this film too but are not really shown much as they are something to do with the Lilliput place. It also has some flashbacks when the girl that Gulliver has a massive crush on gets stranded in Lilliput too, but this happens while Gulliver is in a Doll's house where he is the tiny person and the girl who owns the dolls house is the giant. Finally, a great film...that's all I have to say! :D8/10

Tangled - 7/10Whilst not a return to the Disney renaissance of the 90's, this was a great film with some genuinely funny moments such as the frying pan humour and Maximum the horse. Maybe I'm to old... but some of the plotting was signposted to easily on. For instance the old woman somehow able to find Rapunzel where-ever she went or Eugene being freed from the prison. it also lacked that Disney sparkle; the magical ending was pretty much scene for scene the same as Pokemon the first movie ie, if everyone cries our central character can live again.The Lion King - 10/10Pure beauty from start to finish. The story of the circle of life is timeless and the messages that eminate through the visuals are sublime. Simba is a wonderful character and Scar marks another Disney trademark that the evil characters are the more enjoyable to watch.Beauty and the Beast - 10/10A nice Valentines day present, another Disney stunner. Beauty and the Beast features my favourite animated movie scene, with Belle and the Beast dancing majestically in the ball room to the song 'Beauty and the Beast.' Beautiful story telling.

TangledExtreme sense of deja vu in places and a guessable plot but it was a fun with some fresh jokes. Most people here are probably very biased towards the older Disney Classics anyway.PaulTo me Paul seems to be trying to ease the American audiences in Pegg and Frost's humour. It was good and really shone in scenes with certain minor characters but didn't match up to Shawn/Fuzz for me.How to Train Your DragonA bit slow to get going but once the boy and his dragon have bonded this a fantastic animation.Saw 7/3D/The Last Chapter/The Traps in All the Other Movies Were DeadI knew this was going to be bad but really if your opening trap of the last movie in the franchise is based around a love triangle in the middle of city in broad daylight then there is no way defend the fact that you have jumped shark...badly.

Despicable MeIt's a good film, unfortunately with Toy Story 3 also out this year it certainly was over-shadowed to a degree...However, it's still great fun, because it's a lot of slapstick comedy which helps it work on a world-wide level...And the Lehman Brother joke <3 Joke of the year by far...Also, Minions <39/10PaulI really really enjoyed this... There was a slight worry that it wasn't going to reach similar levels as Shaun and Fuzz, but it damn well tried it's best and succeeded in my opinion... All the characters involved were very entertaining, from Mr Tambor's turn as that famous guy who hates his fans, and Jason Bateman's sneer... Everyone involved played their roles extremely well...Paul himself... Is weird... It's a CGI alien voiced by Seth Rogen... And considering he acts like Seth Rogen in many of his other films, it's hard to actually not see Seth himself... A slight blergh on my part, but never the less he was very entertaining and actually partly loveable...Is it as good as Shaun and Fuzz? I didn't think so because of the slight lull in the plot speed at points, but, it's not too far away from the two...9/10

• 1 month later...
Harry Potter and the Deathly HallowsYes It's not a new film, but I've just bought it on DVD. I've read the book, and I have to say, I was quite disappointed with the film, because I don't feel they put enough detail into the making of it. They seemed to skip quite a few things I'd have liked to see on screen. Maybe it's just me being picky, but I think that considering they've split the book into 2 films, they've got plenty of chance to go into more detail :/6/10

[but I've just bought it on DVD. I've read the book, and I have to say, I was quite disappointed with the film, because I don't feel they put enough detail into the making of it. They seemed to skip quite a few things I'd have liked to see on screen.

I agree.I thought they would include the Flash-back when Harry's parents were killed. Thinking about, it would have been effective to have Voldemort leaning over baby Harry's bed. But there were quite a few holes - even my Dad and Sister who haven't read the book said there were some bits they didn't understand.

I'm just about to watch it again, DVD came last week. I quite like it actually - I thought it was considerably more detailed compared to the books than 5 and 6, and to a lesser extent 4. I also like the slightly different style of direction it has to the other films, and of course as always with the recent Potter films, a soundtrack of epic proportions.Makes me miss WWoHP though, especially as I just opened the case to find an ad inside :( Well, I'm off to the TV! :)

THORMarvel are being very coy and entertaining with their whole Avenger film series currently coming through... And Thor was a very interesting version of one of the most lesser known characters (at least, until future ones get their time in the sun)...It was a very fun film with lots of jokes seemlessly tied into the script, working with the whole fish out of water of Thor and what-not, with some solid performances from the cast...Loving the way Marvel are intertwining all the films, with a few references to the others (some throwaway lines, some in your face stuff) brought in, as well as the awesome extended trailer for Captain America beforehand...Overall, it's an enjoyable and fun little film and if the rest follow this trend, then bring it on!8/10

Diary of a wimpy kidIt's a quirky, rather good film. The jokes are amusing bar one. It's a good film to watch if you have mates over. Really shows some of the stuggles within the school system.8/10 (would have gotten higher except for the ending)I do recommend watching it tbh.

• pluk featured this topic