The Big Bad Movie Topic

Benin

Attack the BlockA good little film that probably no-one else watched... Very Dr. Who esque is the way most of the film could well be spent hiding behind the sofa with plenty of jumps, gore and some actual going against the grain by actually

killing the main characters

as well...Decent CGI considering it's an Indie film funded by the National Lottery... I enjoyed it and a good recommendation...7/10

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I forgot, I watched Stormbreaker again last week...Love Alex, hes incredibly hot and a pretty good actor. It was a shame the film was a flop commercially as I really enjoyed it, lots of action, some humour, theres never a dull moment. I suppose it misses the romance that James Bond has, but then this is aimed at children. I'd give it 8/10 and say its a must watch for any James Bond fan.

Ah, I forgot, I watched Stormbreaker again last week...Love Alex, hes incredibly hot and a pretty good actor. It was a shame the film was a flop commercially as I really enjoyed it, lots of action, some humour, theres never a dull moment. I suppose it misses the romance that James Bond has, but then this is aimed at children. I'd give it 8/10 and say its a must watch for any James Bond fan.

Alex Pettyfer. Unf. Yes. I love him. He's in Beastly aswell, which is a really good film ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhhh I forgot to review Transformers 3...It was better than the second, with an epic opening sequence... Then present day happened as did the new version of Megan Fox, who was actually brilliant in making Megan Fox both look good in the looks and acting department (I don't rate Fox at all), which was quite an achievement...For the rest, it was typical Michael Bay... Big explosions, big sequences, big EVERYTHING... Some random Inception like music was cool though and the entire last sequence was actually really enjoyable...7/10Next time... Harry Potter 7 Part 2... Expect tears...

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World9.5/10So much love for this. Saw it at a friends house yesterday, tomorrow I'm off to buy it for myself. This isn't really a review but w/e...

Absoloutely amazing! I'm a keeno on retro and video games, so yeah this is just, wow.Havve you read the books, theyr'e even better and funnier! I've read all 6. Its sad in the last one :P

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2

8/10It was very good to be honest! Tear-jerking moments, explosions, the lot! All my friends who I went with enjoyed it, but they havent read the books. As I had, I was quite dissapointed that they had cut or changed some scenes and added new ones.The Gringotts bit was done very well - The scene with Abaforth was a bit rushed I thought, only just brushing details, then I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the film until after Harry came back to life. Personally, I thought splitting the big fight scene into small, separate scenes was a bit stupid as I felt that as no-one was really watching Molly fight Bellatrix, her death didnt seem very significant and was a sort of -"oh, she just died" moment rather than astonishment of Voldemorts right-hand woman being taken down, and then Harry vs. Voldemort was exactly the same as they just had a very long chase through the castle, and then, after the fight, Voldy died and burst into ashes which I thought was quite anti-climatic.There were so many removals: -the house elves & Centaurs, Percy admitting he was wrong, and Freds death wasnt realy signified very much.Seeing the dead bodies of all the characters we loved throughout the books/films was VERY, VERY sad.On the bright side the music was epic, the Kings Cross scene was good and "19 years later" was perfect and a great end to the series.Overall, it was good, but could have been better.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2Well, here it is really - the end of the Harry Potter films. In short, I think the film was pretty amazing and does what it was meant to do - give a memorable ending to the series. Before I go into more detail, a little bit more about my 'experience'. Yesterday, I found out my local cinema was doing a double bill - showing Part 1 yesterday evening, which would then be followed by Part 2 (in 3D) at midnight. After a little thought, I went for the opportunity and had a little power nap in the afternoon to ensure I was fresh for it. -_-So, Part 1 was scheduled to start at 9:20, so we arrived at 8:50 to hopefully get good seats (which we got). Before the film started, the guys who run the projector were having a little fun, putting little cut out characters in front of the light, some were kissing, some were riding broomsticks, etc. etc. Was entertaining indeed. Anyways, unsurprisingly, the screen was more-or-less full, but it didn't at all feel crowded - if that at all makes sense. Part 1, which I had watched on Wednesday to keep it fresh anyway, was of course in 2D. It was nice in some ways how there was always resounded laughter at the comical bits, as opposed to to odd laugh when you watched it when it's quieter. Also funny how people were laughing before the lines were told, showing just how many times everyone had already watched the first film. At the end, there was a 20 minute break before Part 2 started, to get more food and that. And that's enough about the first film and my experience and all that - probably boring you a bit now...The 3DThe double bill included Part 2 to be in 3D, so it was 3D I would be watching. I'll start off here to get it out the way. I was a tad unsure about it, knowing how it was just a conversion job, how Part 1 was going to be in 3D and was then scrapped, how they had to re-shoot some scenes and just not being a fan of 3D in general. However, I put that behind me. This was the first 3D film I watched at the cinema since Spy Kids 3D, all the way back in 2003ish when it was the red and blue ones, so it was a fun thing to try out. In all honesty though, I thought the 3D was a needless thing. It added next to nothing to most scenes, with it more being a character just standing out a little more most of the time, as opposed to anything major. There were some good bits, but not enough for it to be worth having to put up with the glasses over my real glasses. A positive thing on it though: next to none (from what I remember) cheesey moments, where something flies out at you for the sake of the 3D, which I liked.The FilmWARNING: There will be spoilers, including how it differs from the book.

So, the film plays an edited scene of the last scene of Part 1, when Voldemort gains the elder wand, then it just jumps straight into when it left off, on the beach by Shell Cottage after Dobby's death. This is where I think the biggest mistake of the film series is - it is not two separate films really, it is just one big film put into two - it isn't handled well in other words. If you hadn't watched Part 1 for a while, I think you'd struggle to get into the first 10 or so minutes, because it is building from everything that just happened at the end of Part 1. The Gringotts scene was one of best special effects scenes of the film, and worked well with the 3D too I thought. This entwines with scenes with Voldemort and his snake, which is a horcrux, sharing some special moments together which I think is pulled off very well - giving a seemingly soulless villain a caring heart. I felt the scene with Aberforth, Dumbledore's brother, was lacking depth and was just a scene that was 'there' more than anything. The entering of Hogwarts was pretty impressive and was well played out, however, when it actually got to the battle of Hogwarts, I felt the deaths of most of the major characters were weak. Fred Weasley was just being mourned (and it wasn't actually revealed which twin it was till about 10 minutes after it), Lupin was just shown there, which is not what the character deserved, and his wife needed more than just being shown there too. Bellatrix was a bit weak and felt as though it was more shoved in quickly. In general with the past couple of films, I've felt the deaths have been lacking in emotion and they're general portrayal - go back to the fourth film and see how Cedric's death was reacted to - that's how it should have been.Voldemort's death was tweaked slightly, which I think is good in some ways, as it keeps the books separate from the films, which I've always favoured. However, I did feel that they emitted some important details, like Harry's invisibility cloak being explicitly stated as part of the Deathly Hallows, as well as who gave it to him in the first place. I think these sort of details were required to give the film series the closure it requires.EDIT: How could I forget about Snape's death scene and memories, especially as he's one of my favourite characters!?! Well, I thought it was a bit too paced for my liking, but that's because I wanted loads of Snape. So yeah, all good on that front really.The 19 years later bit. I wasn't the biggest fan of it in the book, but at least in the book it was performed well. The film doesn't flow as well with the scene, skipping out details like the names of the children, cutting out conversations which make what is said somewhat confusing and not giving the major characters talk time. I think, also, more could have been added at the end, like going to Hogwarts in the 19 years later bit, showing Neville as a professor, McGonagol as Headmistress, etc. to give it a more rounded feel - after all, a film is different to a book: a book can leave you more to the imagination, a film less so.

So, that's that. Until the DVD comes out, au revior Harry Potter.8/10

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2Some good bits, some dodgy bits (some of the CGI -_-) and some nice set-pieces brought this together... However, I feel like this film JUMPED so damn much, and many scenes needed more in a very general state of mind...However, the really emotional scenes, were PERFECTLY dealt with... Simple and effective was the way forward, and it really really worked on that level..In regards to the above, this film WAS shot back to back, and I would probably prefer to see it in one MASSIVE film, regardless if it takes 5 hours out of my life on a regular basis... I do think a Director's Cut will make this film damn near perfect...7.5/10And finally, I WANT THE GRINGOTTS CREDDDDDD!!!!11

Sure you know what I'm talking about, but Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2Saw it last night in Leicester Square Odeon - amazing atmosphere.As for the film itself, much like everyone else I found some of it to be amazing and some slightly lacking.I felt the pacing was a bit strange. Because of the way the finding of the horcruxes was handled, it got split up really strangely - all the horcruxes found right on top of each other in the space of a few minutes. Compared with the sheer helplessness felt in the book at the enormity of the task, it seemed odd. This wasn't helped by the speed with which they left Shell Cottage - no weeks of trying to convince Griphook to help them.Some of the changes I felt were strange choices as well - mostly I didn't find that they added to or detracted from the piece overall, but I just found myself wondering why they'd done it. Why change the Shrieking Shack to the Boathouse? The Malfoys' plot line was dealt with oddly, and I didn't think it conveyed the same feeling as the book of a broken and self-seeking family who had pretty much lost all allegiance to anyone other than themselves. The Prince's Tale sequence was excellent though, and I thought was actually a slight improvement.Other positives I felt were the way several of the lesser characters finally got their moment. Seeing Luna and Neville in particular take such important roles was great.The emotional balance was the film's genius stroke for me. Unlike some people, I didn't mind the comedic moments, because the films have always interspersed a couple of wry smile moments with the intense action. However even with this, I didn't feel like they weren't taking it seriously because the tear-jerking moments were still dealt with excellently. I just felt a wave of sadness overcome the audience when Lupin and Tonks were motionless on the ground. And as for when the end credits came up...So overall, I was really happy and thought it was excellent. The way I've always viewed the films is that you have to have read the book and already have a good understanding of the plot for them to make sense, and I didn't expect that to change here. Yes there were a few holes, but any fan who has grown up with 'Generation Potter' knows what happens in between anyway. The films to me simply provide a visually beautiful and exciting interpretation of the plot, which remind me of the excellence of the books and the story overall. So for me, a fitting, emotional, and bittersweet end to 11 years of magic.

as a film it cant earn anymore than a 5.compered to the books (iv'e read all of em') this is absymal, yet it couldv'e been amaazing!!!!and now I'm even more sad the books have ended -_-

• pluk featured this topic