The Big Bad Movie Topic

Benin

I saw Cars 2 yesterday and now I'm reviewing it. lol wtf.I have always adored and appreciated Pixar films. Every time a Pixar film is released in the cinemas I will make that extra effort to go see it. When they are released on DVD I will always own it in it’s first week. They are able to capture what it so beautiful about films, stunning cinematography, sparkling dialogue and stories that grab the emotions and make you laugh and cry. It’s with this in mind that you come to the Cars franchise. When I saw Cars for the very first time, it bored me to tears. The two previous Pixar films (Finding Nemo and The Incredibles)had been excellent and well worth the admission fee. So Cars with its non humanoid characters didn’t grab me. It took several re-watchings to realise the beauty of the story. The car that comes to realise whats important in life, the beautiful scenery of route 66. It’s wonderful.Cars 2 abandons all that, sidelines all the great characters and shines the spotlight solely on Mater the tow-truck. Lightening McQueen essentially plays a guest role in his own movie this time round. I have a problem with Mater as a main character. In the first film he was comic relief. In Cars 2 hes comic relief ramped up to eleven but hes also the emotional drive of the story. It doesn’t work because his antics throughout the film are incredibly irritating. From eating to much wassabi to screwing up McQueen’s first race, each time you just want to crush him into a cube. Pixar have attempted to mix up the racing antics of Cars 1 with the spy action of a James Bond film. it slightly works on its own but when the two elements are combined, such as the London race finale, it comes across like a Heston recipe for a Haddock trifle. When the film focuses on the rivalry between McQueen and Frencessco the F1 car, the film works for me and with the three locations used it looks fantasic. Italy, Tokyo and London look excellent and at times I couldn’t tell if I was watching CGI or characters super-imposed. But it doesn’t really work when you flip back to flying jet cars firing machine guns at the queen car or at helicopter pidgeons.So on an emotional level this film doesn’t work in the slightest. It doesn’t have the maturity of Up or Wall.E and it has nowhere the effect of Toy Story 3. But one has to remember that Cars isn’t about being played with or a man flying his house in memory of his deceased wife. It’s about colours, drag racing and excitement and it is here that Cars 2 is strong. The races are a barrel load of fun. When the film focuses on the enormous Italian crash it’s enjoyable for all the wrong reasons as a viewer. It’s very exciting because if you watch F1 you can just magine the pain cars go through. The cities are expressed incredibly well and realistically such as the Fiat 500′s driving around Italy or old routemasters donning the streets of London.I have to admit Cars 2 rather shocked me and it’s where characters are killed rather violently. Luckily it only occurs twice but on each occasion it’s stretches my acceptability of what can be shown to children. The first instance shows a spy car who has been captured. He’s not just dead, he has been crushed into a cube. The second one is another car being tortured and then exploded by a radiation beam. Pushing its luck now.Cars 2 is one of the worst Pixar films but that is in no way a put down. When you’re competing with Up, Ratatouille and Wall.E there’s always going to be the stinkers. Cars and Cars 2 are those stinkers. Still fun but just not up to those three giants. Fun is the most important word here though.6/10

• 2 weeks later...
Captain AmericaDid the job of both setting up the Avengers and introducing another solid Marvel film into the collective, although certainly played with tongue in cheek throughout (THAT SONG SEQUENCE), it was actually a rather solid and memorable film... The two stand-outs were Tommy Lee Jones (as expected) and Hugo Weaving, who was channeling Herr Flick from 'Allo 'Allo almost perfectly, and was absolutely amazing... I do hope they find some way of bringing him back should the Captain have legs as a franchise after Avengers...9/10 Mainly losing points for the dodgy action montages and some of the really silly moments...

Few weeks later and I've finally seen a recent Harry Potter film. I have to be honest with you, I've only properly seen Goblet of Fire and I haven't read the book since it came out four years ago so my memory was a little bit patchy. Deathly Hallows part two is weird. For most of the film you wonder where are all the characters you know and love. Snape is in it for about 10 minutes maximum. Even if his plot revelation is the main turning point in the film, his appearance just seems tacked on. Deus ex machina esque almost. The same can be said for characters like Hagrid, Lupin, the Weasleys, hell even Ron and Herminone seem strangely distanced from the plot.The film is very good though even if it detracts from the book. Remember, the realms of our imaginations will be larger then budgets ever could compete with. And what is in Deathly Hallows is very good quality (even if certain plot strands don't appear). I liked the destruction of Gringotts, I liked Neville. I'd forgotten how important Neville becomes towards the end of the series and it was good to see him so strong, a leader at the end of the film.Voldemort is very funny. When he starts laughing and going hysterical at Harry's apparent death, I cracked up myself. There is one moment that didnt work in the book and it is even worse in the film. WATCH OUT FOR SPOILERS :blink: Basically, the end in the book is a bit rubbish. Everyones married and everyones named their kids after dead people from Hogwarts. The film makes this even worse by not even attempting to age up (or dare I say it, recast older Harry/Hermione/Ron) the characters so apparently being old in the Potter universe is Harry with a beard or Ron being a tiny bit fatter. What made it worse is that the audience in the cinema started laughing at it to. Not at comedic elements but how silly it all looked. Shame really. 7/10

'Mr. Popper's Penguins'The title alone could send children into bawls of uncontrollable laughter whilst others are left with the distinct odour of a cheaply-produced off-beat comedy that should've never made it past the drawing board.Mr. Carrey has made a name for himself as a bona-fide funny guy since his first starring role in Ace Ventura and and it's incessant - as well as needless - sequels. Throughout the 90's he was an untouchable force in the Box Offices around the globe in films like The Mask and Dumb And Dumber, and practically anything he touched would turn to gold (for some audiences). Since then, we've watched him challenge himself further by tackling the family market, to spectacular avail. His deliciously demented portrayal of the Grinch in the Dr. Seuss recreation of the same name and how he single-handedly rescued Lemony Snicket's 'A Series Of Unfortunate Events' from becoming one if the worst book-film transformation this side of the millennium cemented him as a truly versatile comedic actor. Branching out further into the darker Number 23, the indie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and the challenging I Love You, Phillip Morris (an unfortunately disastrous commercial seller) during the noughties, he let his creative juices flow and for a while it seemed like his shaky start in the film industry was a mere dot in the distance that only a pedant could care for.But recently, his films aren't showing that brilliantly innovative flair we saw in his earlier films (see: Yes Man). And from the moment my little sister dragged me to watch Mr. Popper's Penguins, his newest acting role, I could smell his desperation to save his career, much the same as Eddie Murphy after Daddy Day Care. The film is just so unbelievably far-fetched yet also so inescapable middle-of-the-road you do wonder how 20th Century Fox could have the capacity to put so much money into something and have it turn out so inoffensively uninteresting. Even my sister was yawning two-thirds in. From the moment Carrey's estranged father bestows upon him sex penguins in his Will we're led through a baffling thread with little cohesion, strung together with deadpan whimsy and a few moments of genuine humour. A rather amusing scene where Mr. Popper's bathroom is temporarily converted into a bathroom succeeds in generating a few laughs, an there's slight - only slight - ingenuity in character creation in the form of Pippi, Popper's peculiar assistant with a partiality to the letter 'P'.Other than that there's very little here that needs to be said. The film is a hastily sewn together amalgam of supposedly funny moments (but thankfully, the full force of Carrey's overwrought-ness is felt but a few times). But this isn't just a failure on the actors' parts (however animated); the real shock comes from when you realise that this film is bizarrely trying to re-invigorate the same kind of penguin fascination that took cinema by storm not a decade ago. Madagascar, Happy Feet, and March of the Penguins all cashed in on this momentary movement, but from a director who masterminded the wonderfully witty and deliriously funny Mean Girls, Mr. Popper's Penguins is a dire attempt to spark a burnt out match. The film is poor, even as a family film.2/10

I saw Super 8 yesterday.I thought this was a fantastic film which seemed to have a good balance of most things. The story worked well and there were some great moments of suspense which did draw you into the story. As well as this there was excellent comic relief from some witty one liners from the teenagers in the film. It was nice to go and see a film which the whole family could enjoy, I'm sure it would have been easy to make the film in a less family friendy manner so I'm glad they didn't do in in such a way.One minor problem I had with the film was the rather lacklustre ending; I thought perhaps the film ended 5 or 10 minutes early. As well as this the middle of the film felt a bit slow, maybe that's just in comparison to the first part which was very hectic but it seemed to drag on a bit. 9/10Also, I think this film must win the award for the number of times you can say "Oh my God!" in a film. ;)

A double bill on Sunday...Super 8Tbh, I wasn't sure what to expect from this film, but damn it was just good... It was just a great mix of acting, visual effects and storytelling, with the kids proving that they have an excellent future in the business... It was a good old fashioned Spielberg film even with Abrams directing, and there was just really nothing wrong with it...Family film with plenty of jumps and scares, but not being off-putting to kids aside from the beastie's look (Abrams likes them he does)... Plus the train crash of epicness is just awesome...9/10Rise of the Planet of the ApesAgain a film I wasn't expecting much on, what with the history of this franchise being mixed and what-not... But again, there was a very good film within, and rather realistic, considering the subject matter... The animation was very well done and rarely did you think the animated apes were awful to look at... A rather slow and ponderous start led up to a final frantic 30 minutes (like Super 8 in fact) but it meant a well developed story and characters were allowed to breathe next to our primate relatives...Andy Serkis has been typecast as well... But still, a very good actually enjoyable film that actually makes you think about our attempts to create genetic superiority without thinking of the side effects... Damn dirty science corporations!8/10

Double post, oh well.The Inbetweeners MovieI wasn't sure if this film was going to be as good as the series, since it was a 15, and (I think) the series' are 18s. But it was just as good, and just as funny. There was some gross bits, but that was to be expected tbh.The film started off quite slow, but gradually got alot better. The choice of music was good aswell. Definately not a good choice of film to go and see with your dad though, like I did. There was a fair bit of nudity, which made it awkward. All in all, I was impressed and thought it rounded off the series' quite nicely. 9/10

Glee: The 3D Concert MovieAfter viewing every episodes of the TV series the news of a Movie was exciting news!So I saw it today and I came out excited and disappointedExciting bits where: How the movie showed real "glee member" and how their life's have changed because of the TV show The other was the songs! although some was, unexpected hits, the others (like born this way) got me singing and feet tapping through out the movieDisappointing Bits where:The interviews with random people outside the concert which no one really cared aboutAnd the 3D which wasn't really 3D enough, a waste of 3 pounds.But overall 7/10

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Jane Eyre. Will wait until a slightly more civilised hour to write something proper, but an excellent film. Probably not many people's cup of tea around here, but really astoundingly good. Brontë's powerful and intense creation masterfully translated to the screen with some impassioned performances and quality cinematography. Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
Tinker Tailor Soldier SpyThis was a strange one... Expecting a talky film, wasn't a lot of that, but also not a lot of action... Having not read the book, I might well be missing some major things, but it's certainly a weird film, with random violence for little reason and long silences...However, a very strong cast with strong performances, Oldman and Cumberbatch being excellent... And it's so British they eat in a Wimpy and have a discussion whilst buttering toast... Just for that it deserves points...7/10

• 2 weeks later...
The Lion King 3DWhilst I'm not a fan of 3D as an overall thing, I just couldn't resist seeing the best animated Disney film ever made in the cinema... And it seems that many other teenagers feel the same way, reconnecting to childhood is quite a nice thing to do, especially when it's as simple as seeing an old classic film on the big screen...I got chills from the opening scene, and essentially the usual emotional responses for each scene followed (MUFASA!!!!)...Good news is that the 3D works... It really adds depth to the scenery and does indeed add to a few scenes here and there specifically... Can hope that if they do this conversion to other films, they will also share the quality...Even better is that the awful Morning Report song featured in the DVD isn't in it... Huzzah! Purely original version...It's still brilliant, go see it... If only for Jeremy Irons <310/10

• pluk featured this topic