The Big Bad Movie Topic

Benin

Saw Rush yesterday, and it was pretty damn awesome. I recommend, whether you are a fan of motor racing or not.

And if this doesn't sound like the plot of the best movie ever made I don't know what would be...

"When Harry and his Nan (Julie Walters) discover their hamster is seriously ill they set off on a road trip to Blackpool pursued by a lunatic vet (Simon Bird). Along the way, Harry falls in love with an undersea shell person (Sheridan Smith), witnesses canine superstars The Dachsund Five, and meets indie rock band The Magic Numbers - who run a B’n’B. It all culminates in a fight on top of The Blackpool Tower. Who could be behind it all? Could it be Harry’s evil twin Otto (Matt Lucas), who was separated from Harry at birth and brought up by Alsatians? Based on a true story, it's all singing, all dancing family entertainment from the big collared loon himself."

Oh yes, it's Harry Hill!

It's not technically the fifth film, more like a film relating to the overall universe of Paranormal Activity. I think it was described as a 'cousin' to the franchise, as opposed to a sequel or spin off?

Either way, this isn't looking great. It'll probably create a nice few plot holes, and milk the cow even more. I just hope PA5 ends the franchise with a bit of substance...

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhere near the other end of the spectrum to Saw, I went to see Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2, which was alright. Bit slow to get going but good silly fun in the end. I am a sucker for pointless 3D and food based puns though.

Biggest cinema news of the day for me though was a poster that nearly knocked me off my feet...

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/27833/updated-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-cinema-screening-details

Probably already well known to those a bit more with it than I, Dr Who, in the cinema, in 3D. Oh my.

^I haven't watched The Purge yet, but from what I understood of the story, it doesn't seem like one which you'd naturally expect a sequel to come out of. Will be watching it soon though!

In more scary film related new, the sequel to Woman in Black, which was announced a while ago, has a release date:

London, England, 7th November 2013 – Hammer, an Exclusive Media company, and Entertainment One (eOne) today announced that filming has begun on The Woman in Black: Angel of Death, the next installment of the most successful British horror film of all time. To be released by eOne in the UK on Friday 13th February 2015, the film will be directed by Tom Harper.

The Woman in Black: Angel of Death stars Phoebe Fox in her first leading role in a feature film. Having previously worked with Tom Harper on War Book alongside Sophie Okonedo, she will also be seen in Aisling Walsh’s Dylan Thomas project, A Poet in New York, with Tom Hollander and BBC’s ‘The Musketeers’. Fox is joined by Jeremy Irvine (War Horse, Great Expectations, The Railway Man), the award-winning Helen McCrory (Skyfall, Hugo, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows) and rising star Oaklee Pendergast (The Impossible).

The Woman in Black: Angel Of Death continues the original film’s story: four decades have passed since Arthur Kipps, as played by Daniel Radcliffe, travelled to Eel Marsh House – and now, a group of children are evacuated with their teachers from the perils of Blitz-era London. The group soon awakens Eel Marsh House’s darkest inhabitant.

Directed by Tom Harper (The Scouting Book For Boys, War Book. ‘Peaky Blinders’), the screenplay by Jon Croker (Desert Dancer) is based on an original story outline by Susan Hill, author of The Woman in Black.

(From Woman in Black's FB page)

Last week after a tiring visit to fright nights, me and some mates sat down to watch Insidious. All I can say was that it was truly scary even though the scares were a bit repetitive and you could kind of see it coming. I think that it is the scariest film I've ever seen, and it has left me wanting to watch Insidious 2. Great film, I highly recommend it.

My apologies for coming off the horror theme!

I'm not a huge fan of romance films. However my girlfriend convinced me to sit down and watch One Day (Based on the novel by David Nicholls starring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess).

I must admit, I really enjoyed it. It's quite slow on the uptake, but eventually gets into it and the story is quite a good one to be fair. It got me engrossed in it. I'd probably rate it a 9/10.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the latest Hunger a Games movie last.

Thought the film was very good and although it does start a bit slowly, I thought the film covered the book very well. I think there could've been a bit more action during the major scenes of the film but I generally found it a very good movie and would rate it as good as the first one.

Incidentally, I had to re watch most of the film in another screening as during the first 45 minutes of the first screening, the picture suddenly stopped but the sound was still running and I was soon told there were problems in the screening room. Maybe the projector was catching fire ;)?

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Overall, a good film. Lots of action, suspense, surprise and an easy to follow story line (if you haven't seen the first one or read the book you will be quite lost to begin with but you can still watch and enjoy it). whilst I still prefer the book, it is definitely a better creation from paper to screen than the first one was. Usually I can't go and watch a film over 2 hours in the cinema, and with this being 2 hours 30 I was expecting to be regularly wanting to know the time, however, it was the reverse and when it ended I was more it's been over 2 hours already. So defiantly kept me engrossed. Looking forward to Mockingjay part 1 next year now :)

After a day thinking about it, Desolation of Smaug was very good and far superior to the first. I don't love it like I love LOTR but I was very happy to be engrossed in Middle Earth again, considering seeing it again in HFR. Love Smaug, coar that's a charismatic dragon <3

Also, massively overblown Frozen review coming soon. But if you haven't seen it yet... sort it out yeah? ^_^

Seen a few films recently for some reason..

Frozen - 10/10. Just awesome, the best Disney film made for a long long time.

Saving Mr Banks - 8/10. Fun film, made me want to go and get drunk afterwards though.

Desolation of Smaug - 9/10. I am a dragon with lots to say but how can I talk for I am a dragon. Better then the first Hobbit film, more fun.

• pluk featured this topic