The Big Bad Movie Topic

Benin

The Boy's ending was really decent compared to the rest of the film I thought! Compared to nearly every other modern day horror it actually satisfied me :)

Another good horror film that I watched last night was the 2015 version of Krampus. It was creepy yet funny and the ending was brilliant, can see why rumours are going around at there being a HHN maze based around it! The gingerbread men were my personal favourite.

On 01/05/2016 at 0:03 PM, Amarghh said:

The Boy's ending was really decent compared to the rest of the film I thought! Compared to nearly every other modern day horror it actually satisfied me :)

Another good horror film that I watched last nightarrow-10x10.png was the 2015 version of Krampus. It was creepy yet funny and the ending was brilliant, can see why rumours are going around at there being a HHN maze based around it! The gingerbread men were my personal favourite.

Is that done by the director of Trick R Treat (one of the best horrors I have seen in a while)

Surprised no one has raved about Civil War yet...

The second half of it is the best stuff Marvel have ever done... The entire airport sequence is a delight, and then the final fight is astoundingly brutal and tense...

Great job of introducing Black Panther and new Spidey, which makes the hype for both their films increase... Also Ant Man :wub:

The first half is slow, but it does the job in setting up the story and the various sides put in pace... That every character gets their chance says a lot about how well written the story is and how they've balanced it...

Marvel keep marching on... Infinity War with the Russos behind it should be even better (especially if we get another Community alumni cameo)...

On 4 May 2016 at 8:37 AM, Benin said:

Surprised no one has raved about Civil War yet...

The second half of it is the best stuff Marvel have ever done... The entire airport sequence is a delight, and then the final fight is astoundingly brutal and tense...

Great job of introducing Black Panther and new Spidey, which makes the hype for both their films increase... Also Ant Man :wub:

The first half is slow, but it does the job in setting up the story and the various sides put in pace... That every character gets their chance says a lot about how well written the story is and how they've balanced it...

Marvel keep marching on... Infinity War with the Russos behind it should be even better (especially if we get another Community alumni cameo)...

I would have raved about it but it wasn't necessary. I liked it though, Spiderman, Ant-Man and Black Panther are awesome. I could watch a film with just those three in.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up watching The Witch because it had very positive reviews pretty much everywhere I looked. Damn! It was so messed up, so creepy, so disturbing and so bloody scary! One of the best horrors I've seen since The Babadook! Some scenes I genuinely gasped out loud and the soundtrack made my hairs on the back of my neck stand on edge! It's based on folklore and fairy tales, so it's not realistic in the slightest, but it doesn't need to be. 

To all horror fans: Watch this film! Definitely worth 90 minutes of your time! Although be warned, it's extremely messed up! 

• 2 months later...

Suicide Squad is bound to become one of the most controversial pictures of this year. This post will contain spoilers, critiques and opinions some probably don't want to read.

I'll start off with just doing my TL;DR now. It was a ton of fun to watch. Throughout all the plot holes, broken pacing and terrible directing choices, I did really enjoy the action, acting, characters and general narration of the movie. It has fantastic authentic reference to the Suicide Squad comics, and overall it was very different and out there compared to many hero movies. Having said that...

The movie is one of the most flawed I have ever watched, right from the first 20 minutes. A major problem with films such as this is the use of multiple main characters really drains from the plots, sub plots, and sub sub plots. All of the plots. It does become very difficult to follow at times, and it felt like all the different stories were an excuse to make the general story different, when really it's quite generic. Another problem with this film is it really struggles with consistency throughout.

The first act of the film is huge fun, with an edge to a hero movie previously unseen. In your face graphics, colour leaks and character introductions set the movie up brilliantly, and with well placed jokes and impressive visuals and explanations I was expecting a lot. However act 2 & 3 almost feel like an entirely different movie.

For gods sake the bad guy and the city aren't even bloody named. Is it Gotham? I mean I'm guessing it's new york from all the satellite imagery in the government meeting room but the structures suggest otherwise? For those who are wondering, the bad guy is simply named enchantress, as suggested by the doctor whispering her name. 

A lot of the cool stuff seen in act 1 is immediately dropped once entering the city. The colour leaks; gone. The in your face graphics; gone. The plot becomes a blurred and tangled mess of genericness and smugness that simply doesn't really work and isn't very memorable. All most all of the appeal of act 1 is completely gone as soon as act 2 is constructed. Act 2 & 3 scream DC to me, with impressive imagery and clear comic book style, however it was so long to sit through and not very memorable. 

A large thing for this movie was all the reshoots that it had due to the hit success of deadpool. A lot of it is clear, and a lot of it is very hit and miss. Harley Quinn is played brilliantly by Margot Robbie, however her comical attitude is somewhat awkward to watch, when it should be funny. A lot of the one liners leave you going euuurrghh rather then smugly sitting back in your seat going 'heuh'. There are moments of comical genius, most noticeably embodied in Captain Boomerangs whole performance. 

Finally, as said before, the cuts to the movie are obvious. Leto's performance as the Joker seemed pretty alright... Seemed: seeing as his screen time ended up being less then 20 minutes. It was very frustrating to watch as parts of the movie are so brilliant only to be undermined by parts which could have been improved so easily.

To give you a break down of things that annoyed me:

Awkward jokes

Varied pacing

complex sub plots

generic main plot

terrible bad guy

wasted character chemistry

character chemistry LITERALLY OUT OF NOWHERE (Deadshot literally turns round to diablo and calls him a homey, and then calls Harley sugar. WHY IS THIS!!11!)

editing consistency

choice of soundtrack

questionable removed footage

Despite this awfully long list, there are parts of the movie that are pure gold. The (over) editing at the start is fantastic, the acting is beyond awesome for the roles given, and the original score is the best I've heard in a very long time. Literally I was going 'awwww man' when the 'squad' strolled up in slow motion with this epic hybrid mess of dubstep synths and orchestral noises emphasising the epicness of the shot. There are some fantastic cameos too, and the introductory period for all the characters really sets up the movie nicely. 

Certain sub plots work really well, my main problem was there being too many of them. There was great reference and authenticity to the original comics too, which is something I really appreciate being a viewer who does a little research and reading before going into comic book movies. There are some bad ass cinematics, good character chemistry and jesus some of the jokes are really good. Enchantress as a little creepy devil was really impressive, as a majestic god thingy with 20 eyes on her head hulu dancing to a cloud of ash, was not. For me personally these goods do outweigh the flaws, quite significantly too, but I can completely sympathise with those who do not enjoy the movie as much.

Overall I'd give the movie a 7/10. It's edgy, it's funny, it has an insanely awesome, long and intense fight scene and the characters are so good you can't not love them. With fantastic reference to the comics, a good score and some real uniqueness to the movie in general I am already itching to watch it at least once more. I just wish that some of the many mistakes could've been fixed before it's release considering how plain sighted and simple many of them are!

I will say, you have to ignore all the ratings for this movie. 24% on rotten tomatoes (as I type) means nothing. It's critics all jumping aboard each others band wagon and making the flaws much bigger then they really are. The forum users rating is 76%, which proves it's a relaxed viewers movie. It's not for those who want to nitpick it, its for those who go to the movies to have a good time and watch something fun. This was very fun to watch, and despite all it's imperfections I sincerely hope others enjoy it as much as I do.

A lot of discussions suggest that DC films get completely changed by the execs at WB, so far as to showing two different cuts of the film to audiences for testing...

They are desperately playing catch up to Marvel but aren't seemingly taking the same steps because they're so behind...

• 2 weeks later...

Well then.. This movie, if you can even call it that, is the most disturbing and honestly most disgusting thing I've ever seen. I'm only made it 5 minutes, and I'm not watching any further. I highly recommend you don't click on this link! Just please don't do it. 

Very artistic film. Horrible, but meaningful. It's these type of films that make you question the meanings of your own existence, knocking you into the cold realities of life. From what a gather, this film is a creative assault of Christian theology. This film is literally a nightmare brought to life. But this nightmare makes sense if you really sit and watch the images, dissect the action of the actors..damn I'm deep tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

The fundamentals of caring is genuinely one of the greatest movies I've watched in a while. Everything is so subtle and sweet, and the whole thing is very relatable in my situation. The comedy is spot on and the casting is great which leads to a brilliantly unraveling story filled with emotions. A very dark comedy however one you shouldn't miss!

• 2 weeks later...

Hell or High water was a beautiful film, full of suspense, comedy and some action towards the end. The acting from Chris Pine and Ben Foster is brilliant as the two brothers, one who wants the best for his family and one who, well is a insane ex convict. Jeff Bridges role as the stone faced Sheriff / Police Officer is brilliant. The film is the only film in a while that has made me "Oooh!" out loud in a film as when it kicks off, it kicks off hard. People die out of nowhere and it is really unexpected. Brilliant film, well worth a watch.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to watch The Girl with all the Gifts, as I have a somewhat connection to the film.

Around March last year, every girl at my film class was given the opportunity to audition for the main character, however I was a greasy ginger 12 year old with braces, so they probably didn't look twice at me. They probably interviewed thousands of people about it but I still see it as my first chance at being in a film (now I've realised I'm a crap actor and have turned to behind the scenes stuff)

• pluk featured this topic