The Big Bad Movie Topic

Benin

Just watched The first Purge Film, and it was meh..

Its a great concept and idea, but the great idea is reduced to a home invasion thriller..

Plus its riddled with horror cliches, which aren't even played for laughs like The Cabin In The Woods.

Its not the worst Horror Movie I've seen, that'd be SAW 3D..

But its no Babadook, or The Conjuring either..

Meh-5/10

2 hours ago, imindetonator said:

Just watched The first Purge Film, and it was meh..

Its a great concept and idea, but the great idea is reduced to a home invasion thriller..

Plus its riddled with horror cliches, which aren't even played for laughs like The Cabin In The Woods.

Its not the worst Horror Movie I've seen, that'd be SAW 3D..

But its no Babadook, or The Conjuring either..

Meh-5/10

The second one is much better!

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic Beasts proves to be the better of J.K Rowling's two additions to her wizarding world this year. Let's face it- the Cursed Child was pretty bad. 

However, Fantastic Beasts is not in fact a Rowling cash grab but a wonderful film in itself. Beforehand I was sceptical to whether it would be good or not- however I need the next four movies in this series like I need air. The characters were wonderful, and the plot was fantastic. The only problems I had were Johnny Depp as Grindelwald- he looks nothing like the actor who played him in the main series, and that the film was not diverse at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Double post, but Rogue One has surpassed Fantastic Beasts as my favourite film of the year. 

It's not a simple plot by any means- I don't think it would be easy for little kids to watch; I don't think kids would be prepared for the high amount of deaths in the film either. 

All the characters were well rounded, though I didn't like Jyn that much at first. 

The second half of the film is definitely more moving and intense than the first, but I massively enjoyed it all.

The trailers also did a good job of keeping some major parts a secret, just like no one really suspected Han Solo's death in ep VII.

Well then.. This movie, if you can even call it that, is the most disturbing and honestly most disgusting thing I've ever seen. I'm only made it 5 minutes, and I'm not watching any further. I highly recommend you don't click on this link! Just please don't do it. 

Omg, I tried to watch this earlier this year! I'm almost finished working through the common 'disturbing' films. (So ones that appear on most of the lists on google) But I just could not watch this, not because it was gross, but because with it being black and white and the contrast being so strong, I can't actually see what I'm watching. It's infuriating!

Anyway, an actual film review...

Goodnight Mommy (Ich Seh Ich Seh) 2014

I'd heard a lot about this one, but found it strangely difficult to get on dvd with English subtitles. Finally found a German version on eBay with English subs.

'Twin boys move into a new home with their mother who has had face changing cosmetic surgery, but under the bandages is someone the boys don't recognise.'

This was a beautiful film, with great acting. In parts it can be quite gritty, and it was on the verge of disturbing. It also has a great little twist, which took the film from okay to good.
The ending is a little confusing, and nothing is expressly said as to whether or not it's the real mother, which has led to some interesting theories on the IMDB message boards. So, you know, come to your own conclusions.

I really enjoyed this one, although I know it won't be as effective on a second watch.

7/10.

On 18/12/2016 at 7:01 PM, ThemeParkCrafter said:

Loved rouge one but I don't think there were any surprises or truly emotional scenes

Everyone being brutally murdered not emotional?

Darth Vader mowing down troops relentlessly and effortlessly as desperate rebels scramble through a corridor to get the Death Star plans to Leia? 

Sightly depressing yes but no emotional scenes? I don't agree. :)

Well I certainly want to watch Rogue One in the future especially being a Star Wars fan. 

No idea what Rouge One is. Must be a completely different film, did they do any trailers for it?

Back on topic! 

Saw Moana last weekend and it was fab. The plot line was superb, the music was really good (You're Welcome) and the there was quite a lot of throwbacks to older Disney films (particularly The Renaissance era). 

Mr Banks was great, my mum was there like naaaaah nah nah nah nah

Hanks killed it as per

Rogue one was pretty dees. Bridged the old plot between 3 & 4 well, with plenty of references to all of the other films. Vader was used so brilliantly I almost think it was a shame there wasn't more of him, and blind-man-with-a-stick is my new all time fave star wars character, but dang I wish his staff turned into like a yellow lightsaber that no one had any idea about. I'm glad that the movie didn't spare the characters, it was so fantastically done and it made everything fit, all the characters were developed brilliantly (even if it was very fazed throughout the movie, it helped keep the pace up) and I think it was one of the most satisfying ends I've ever seen in a cinema, even if it left all the main protagonists dead.

Ah well. I suppose it's a really really good example of how to do a prequel/sequel, the use of recovered footage and old concepts was done so well. Was a little over hyped but still a worthy movie to watch.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

It's more than okay.. it's nothing special though. It's more a rom-com in Musical clothing. The moment he returned with a special meal being cooked, I knew the big argument scene was coming.

Corrected ;)

That's the whole point of it... It is a rom-com in Musical clothing, of course it is. The beauty of it is the musical numbers and the scenes reminiscent of theatrical musicals gone by, from the weird Observatory scene to everyone getting out of there car to dance and then immediately get back in the car and carry on with usual human emotions such as road rage!

How can you not feel emotional at the final scene where Emma's character is thinking what could have happened without the fighting and how happy there lives could have been if they hadn't both been so obsessed in achieving there dreams!

I didn't find that ending scene that emotional. I've seen it hundreds of times in other drama for example. I think my main issue is its being sold as a musical but those elements don't go beyond a great opening number for me. It may be sacrilege to say, I found Moana far more engaging as a story, as a musical and an emotional piece of film.

18 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

I didn't find that ending scene that emotional. I've seen it hundreds of times in other drama for example. I think my main issue is its being sold as a musical but those elements don't go beyond a great opening number for me. It may be sacrilege to say, I found Moana far more engaging as a story, as a musical and an emotional piece of film.

Yeah have to admit that it's not as much as a musical as it wanted to be.

You see that final scene got me, I loved it as it reminded me of Scrubs :D

• 2 weeks later...

^ Yeah but the fact that it's a sidequal to Unbreakable is a good enough twist alone, surely?

The village is my personal favourite Shyamalan film, closely followed by Signs and Unbreakable. He's one of my favourite directors - apart from the Visit, I like all of his films that I've seen - which says a lot from someone who doesn't like horror!

Disagreed. I'd say it's no more than a neat little easter egg for those who have seen Unbreakable. It tells us nothing more than the fact that the characters from both films live in the same universe - nothing that really assists Split's narrative.

The Village, Unbreakable & The Visit were a bit naff imo, however Signs was alright. I think TSS is and forever will be his finest work.

Surely the depiction of it is kinda realistic? Like that is how a person with multiple personalities could act? The change in body chemistry might be a bit far fetched but I'm sure there's some realism in there...

Sounds like people just assume that as McAvoy is portrayed as a 'villain' it must be demonising it, whereas it really doesn't... Kevin is as much a victim as the girls and clearly at the whim of more dominant personalities...

I'd imagine this film will dominate Psychology courses for a few years...

• pluk featured this topic