The Big Bad Movie Topic

Benin

• 3 weeks later...
  • pluk featured this topic

Lego Batman movie was as good as the Lego Movie, if not better. One thing that confused me was that despite it being set in the same universe/timeline as the original, there were barely any references to it. And was a prequel or a sequel? Where was the kid and his Will Ferrel dad? I guess I'll never know. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Truman Show - Wow. I'm impressed. As a lover of satire, I'm a bit surprised that I've only just got to watching such a pleasing piece of film. It does what I believe every good film should do; it leaves the audience thinking. More specifically, it leaves them questioning the immoral industries we live under, and how, as a race, we will eventually have to stand up to manipulators of television, most importantly the so called "reality" side of it. It presents this through comedy, however if you really dig deep into the film and its intentions, it really is a plead to mankind; a reflection of the times. It shows how, just like Truman, we're beginning to live in a reality where we are unable to differ what is real and what isn't. Very Black Mirror-esque if you ask me. 

But aside from all the deeper and darker meanings, it's a neat film. Jim Carey was fab. In the past  I've underestimated his abilities as an actor, as with most comedy performers in the industry, it seems like they play the same sort of character in each and every film. But his performance in this felt different. There was a lot more depth to this character. Likewise with the film; it really is a very important and meaningful film that was made to open eyes, as well as entertain. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. 8/10. 

• 2 months later...

I've seen a few new films this year thanks to Odeon Limitless:

Kong: 6.5/10

Free Fire: 7/10

Ghost In The Shell: 5/10

Raw: 8/10

Alien Covenant: 6.5/10

The Mummy: 7.5/10

Wonder Woman: 9/10

Spider-Man Homecoming: 9/10

It Comes At Night: 5.5/10

Baby Driver: 9.5/10

Been a really good year of cinema so far, definitely looking forward to Dunkirk, Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets, Atomic Blonde, Detroit, It and Blade Runner 2049 :) 

• 2 weeks later...

The 2nd trailer for Thor launched and it's going to be an amazing film, I can just tell (although even the worst Marvel film is better than anything the DC universe involves [have not seen Wonder Woman])...

The leaked footage/trailer for Infinity War is :wub:

Spiderman Homecoming was really good fun too, like, just sheer good old fashioned enjoyment... Highly recommended...

• 4 weeks later...

So just watched Annabelle 2, and it was actually pretty good.

I heard the original was pretty terrible, but its sequel was actually pretty decent.

Some of the scares are pretty good, and the film has some subtly and some decent performances.

Nothing to shout about here, its not ground breaking, but its entertaining, and enjoyable.

The original Annabelle was awful, one of the very few times I've wanted to leave the cinema mid movie, absolute crap.

I keep hearing that part 2 is meant to be quite good, but with Cineworld now charging the Earth for any movie in any format, I'm not prepared to spunk petrol and a million pounds for a "quite good" movie.

I think I'm going to have to limit myself to movies I can't wait 3 months to see when it comes to visiting anymore and it shouldn't be this way.

On 18/08/2017 at 7:32 PM, Mega-Lite said:

The original Annabelle was awful, one of the very few times I've wanted to leave the cinema mid movie, absolute crap.

I keep hearing that part 2 is meant to be quite good, but with Cineworld now charging the Earth for any movie in any format, I'm not prepared to spunk petrol and a million pounds for a "quite good" movie.

I think I'm going to have to limit myself to movies I can't wait 3 months to see when it comes to visiting anymore and it shouldn't be this way.

Ticket prices of main stream cinema is an issue, but its one that isnt helped by the film companies demanding ever more £££ from exhibitors.  

Although the unlimited card is great value if you visit 1.5 times a month.

I only saw Annabelle 2 tbh as it got released near my birthday, and I wanted to see a horror in the Cinema setting.

Though it seems it got some good reception across the board from critics, which is kinda odd..

This is a prequel to one of the most panned horror films as of recent memory.

Though I guess Ouija 2 seems pretty good too, and I couldn't stand the original Ouija film.. I watched 10 minutes of it on Netflix and I nearly fell asleep..

Whats up with sequels to terrible movies turning out good?

I can't wait too see IT though, as all my friends have severe fears of clowns :lol:

Annabelle: Creation is just as bad as the original. Do not spend your money on this complete and utter ****-fest. It was dull, illogical and laughable, and makes for a really boring and cringeworthy watch. 
I'm not sure we watched the same film... The scares were genuine, the visuals as creepy as I hoped, everything interlocked well, and it had great little nods to other films and real life. Annabelle: Creation was fab, Annabelle was terrible, it's up there with the worst films big production companies have released.
What were you expecting exactly? It's a film about a haunted doll, not the most revolutionary idea, it was great for what it was...

It Comes At Night was a far bigger disappointment for me, I left the cinema not even sure if I liked it. Gimme a good old haunted house film over these frankly terrible art films that have become popular recently. Looking at you The VVitch.

Nah, pretty sure we were watching the same film. It's just that you have bad taste.

If you're willing to overate Annabelle: Creation, yet underate both It Comes At Night & The Witch - two of the best horrors to come out in recent years - your opinion is no longer an opinion. It's a crime. 

A:C began with a decent premise/set-up, and left me excited for the scares to come in the following hour or so. Patiently, I waited and waited, but unfortunately, these "scares" never arrived. Alternatively, we had thrown at us a disjointed, cliche-ridden mess of a script where somewhere down the line the concept of "suspense" was lost. Jumpscare after jumpscare, to the point it felt tedious. These unnecessary series of events ruined the flow of the film entirely, making for a boring and pacless watch. The longer the film played out, the more it lost direction of itself. If that's what you mean by  "a good old haunted house film", you're in the right place ;) 

For a comedy though, it's alright (I.e I WANT YOUR SOUL)