The Big Bad Movie Topic

Benin

• 2 weeks later...

Watched The Last Jedi on Friday. 

In my opinion I preferred episode VII overall, but the first third of this movie was even better. It was the middle part that let it down unfortunately. The final act was pretty good, but still a little disappointing. I've heard very mixed reviews from different people but I hope I grow to like it.

I didn't like the last Jedi. The whole fin subplot should have been cut and I don't get how that didn't come up in pre screen tests. Then there are number of scenes with issues that create glaring plot holes or are just stupid (Leia being the one that sticks most). That being said there are some pretty epic scenes as well. Just glad JJ is back incharge for episode 9.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking forward to Netflix's Bright, primarily because I found the concept of an urban fantasy interesting and that Bastille had done a song for it. When I heard that it had been trashed by critics, I was surprised.

I've seen it a couple of times now and I've formed a few opinions. It wasn't the best movie of the year by all means, but it certainly wasn't the worst. The allegory for racism was a bit OTT, though the characters were great (Joel Edgerton's orc cop Nick Jakoby stole the show with this one). Personally, I can't wait for a sequel movie or tv series. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw the much lauded Shape of Water a couple of weeks ago. It's properly properly weird human / humanoid lizard love story, and why not I suppose? Odd, but it is weirdly compelling and beautiful too. 

I really enjoyed it, but am surprised it's getting such mainstream recognition. 

Another screen unseen next week, thinking Ladybird or I Tonya. Such excitement.

• 2 weeks later...

Unseen tonight was I Tonya, bloody good it was too. Very funny in places but an eye-opener too ; my presumed knowledge of that whole episode (I'm old enough to remember it happening, and the one side coverage at the time) was largely wrong.

When you see the real life clips at the end, it's incredible casting.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...