Airrrrrrr  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Air

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Beyond Rubbish

So with the news that a B&M is to open at Thorpe for 2012, lets discuss a ride that will be celebrating it's tenth birthday next year. Air, B&M's first flying rollercoaster opened in 2002 and is quite unlike any other ride in Europe. Swooping up and over Nemesis and with an emphasis on the thrill of flight does Air inspire you or do you hate it and have been put off flying ever since.For reference, French ride enthusiasts love it. But do you?!

I voted good.I believe it's a unique design that simulates a fantastic sensation of flight. Every piece of marketing about this ride focused on the flight aspect and not necessarily the thrills.I believe the flying position is so unique, it takes very little for the coaster to be thrilling. When I rode Manta at Sea World, for example, the pretzel loop was verging on painful. Even though I much preferred Manta, this was mainly down to the beautiful landscaping more than the ride hardware itself.It's this reason why I haven't rated Air "excellent". For me, it isn't a complete experience and lacks a few scenic features to be able to gain an excellent grade.

Shockingly, I too prefer Air to Manta. I didn't enjoy the Pretzel Loop experience at all... finding it far too intense. Air is not an "amazing" ride, it could be better with better experience in the tunnel and surrounding area, but it's a very popular ride at the park and overall I believe it does a very good job.I vote "good".

I have much love for Air <3 It just looks, sounds and feels so good. Also, it's a tribute to how blue coaster track dating from 2002 should look in 2011 :D I couldn't say if I prefer it to Manta, I found them to be two coasters with very different purposes, so I don't think one is necessarily 'better' as such than the other.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great concept at the time but very much a proto-type and as a ride a fairly average experience even if a unique 1 for the UK, the Americans have built much larger and better versions since!

Larger yes... Better? Well, at least Air has never tried to wrench my legs from their sockets like Tatsu did...Bigger =/= Better...

Great concept at the time but very much a proto-type and as a ride a fairly average experience even if a unique 1 for the UK, the Americans have built much larger and better versions since!

I think Air's actually a really nice ride. It doesn't have the mind blowing element of Manta and Tatsu which in a way helps it. Air is supposed to be trying to simulate free-flight which it wouldn't do if it was trying to throw you around in all sorts of directions.