Thorpe Park Blows It Up

xjoshdenx

Lol, just lol.Maybe Thorpe should steal the 'Hanging' show that Knott's Berry Farm do at Halloween events for next year's Fright Nights. Hang a celeb, then blow one up, suitable times.Although, being offended by this just shows how Daily Mail our country is these days. Such a lack of taking jokes these days. Probably the people who complained didn't even understand why effigies were even being burned and just thought Thorpe were taking the piss (which of course they were, but not maliciously).Just PEOPLE!

Just want to say that the event was absolutely brilliant, my best day I've had at Thorpe. Didn't seem too busy so managed to get on a lot of rides, and quite a few in the dark too. The fire performers were about average and it was slightly awkward watching them as they had no music and didn't really know what they were doing, but I did walk past a few different performers later on who were doing a much better job.The DJ was fantastic, of course there were going to be a few songs played that many people won't like but I liked the fact they played a bit of Nero and DJ Fresh, mixed it up a bit. The interaction was great with shoutouts on the Facebook page, and getting everyone all pumped up! Blowing up Jedward... fantastic! I'm a fan of Jedward and I even still found it hilarious and very entertaining to watch. The fireworks shooting off them were a nice touch too.Now the main fireworks, this may be the best fireworks display I have ever seen. It just seemed so perfect and in time with the music being played, such a great atmosphere!.Then sirens rang out above everyone with police search lights scanning the area, "Warning you are under attack, The swarm are coming" (or something like that). Then there was a load of noise and shooting and suddenly the fire truck exploded, what an ending that was! Followed by "The swaaaarm, coming to Thorpe Park spring 2012".Absolutely fantastic event Thorpe, well done!

Nice to see SOME Merlin parks have their marketing departments in the right place.So Swarm can now say they've stolen bits from Raptor AND Krake ;)In seriousness though, with the Swarm marketing, there has been nothing that I haven't liked that has come straight official from the park.

To add to this conversation...I live over 2 miles away from Thorpe Park. I just stood at the end of my street and saw and heard basically the whole show (including the audio)! The only thing I didn't really see was the actual blowing up of the vehicle, though I saw the fiery flashes and loud bangs of course. :PBeautiful show and an amazing way to end the season - well done Thorpe! -_-

My review of thorpe park blows it up lets start by saying my bag got stolen with all me camera stuff in it so no more videos for 392. When I got to the park there was a power cut so had to wait 30 mins to get my pre paid tickets stealth wasn't working I went on the train for the last time and a member of staff got there wallet stolen so not a bad day could have been better.

This is taken from my whole day trip report over on TowersNerd (I gave you guys a mini-plug but I wasn't too sure how to plug you, when I think of how, I'm adding a big chunk about you in!)

So, the fireworks. Were good. Shorter than Alton Towers' firework display. Completely different atmosphere and music though. Whilst I really really enjoyed them, I walk away, think back to Towers last year and think, hmm, Towers' fireworks were better. But the principal was the same, with fireworks timed to music. Although admittedly some of it was poorly timed, as it did look more like "How many fireworks can we put in the sky" than a planned display. Then to finish it off, it took on a sudden war siren, with a searchlight flying around the crowd, and "The SWARM is coming" and all this lot. Saying we're under attack and everything, then suddenly it counts down, the searchlight draws your attention to a Fire Engine hanging from a crane, and bang, bang, bang. No more fire engine. Was pretty cool I must admit. My biggest criticism of the display though has to be the "set viewing area". They set it out for you to watch from Colossus plaza down to Vortex plaza, in a set off area. It made the area very crammed to get in, out, and spectate from. Also, the sound system was no where near to the astonishing degree Alton Towers's was last year, with sound occasionally muffled or even sometimes echoing across the speakers. But giving credit, from about 4pm the park was filled with a DJ/Radio raving about the fireworks and what-not. There was also fire dancers apparently, but I didn't see them. They didn't show up near Stealth and I didn't see them near SAW either.So all in all, a fantastic day out. Would I go again? Only if I could fit Towers' in as well, and Towers' will be my priority display next year.

Also, I got everything from the countdown to the fireworks right up until after they blew up the vehicle in a video, it's currently being uploaded to YouTube, will share when it's up (quality isn't great)And thanks to everyone for letting me join you on-and-off during the day!

To add to Jack's videos, my compilation of the event:

I thought that this year was a marked improvement on both 2007 & 2008 - the Fireworks were on a par with previous years, but the effigy warm-up display was much better than I thought it was going to be, and the blowing up of the Fire Engine was quite a stunt. What was also better this year was that the addition of Saw Alive and associated pathways meant a much larger area from which to get a good view of the show - no problems with crowding at the maze end. The park-wide DJ was a good addition too, although general volume levels around the Park in the day were too high; it was unbearable standing next to some queue-line speakers, especially Nemesis Inferno's which had both the DJ's output and the N:I theme playing on top of each other, at full blast...10/10 for effort, though. Let's hope it was profitable enough for them to do it all again next year!

I would put a video up, but the whole thing came to nearly 15 minutes, and that was after shortening it.Had to laugh when Jedward went up in flames. Does anyone know who they burnt on the saturday?

They burnt Jedward on Saturday as well! Probably had to of the effigies made. Also, from what I'm aware, they blew up the same fire engine, but with only one explosion on the Saturday, but three on the Sunday(?)

And for those who look at the plans of The Swarm, I think we all know what the fate of said fire engine is to be... -_-

Just a few words about hte event from me. I was VERY impressed.The park itself was a disgrace to be honest. Saw, Colossus, Stealth, Quantum and Storm Surge experienced extended periods of downtime - piss poor ride availability. Thorpe had not even bothered to take down any Fright Nights theming or tents which looked completely unprofessional and pathetic. The queues for pre-booked tickets were also unacceptable. However, the atmosphere was just so special. Probbably because it was last day of the season, but the staff were so happy, bantering with each other and the guests. Everyone was just having a great time and that is just pure and simply what is it about. As darkness fell, a park wide dj erupted on all the speakers. He did a fantastic job all right, firing up the crowd, keeping people informed of food discounts and playing some BANGING tunes! These suited the park so well at this particular event and created a magic atmosphere in the build up to the fireworks all around the park. Great work from Thorpe. The fireworks display itself was superb set to a great mix of songs, and the Truck finale was completely world class. What a great way to end what has been a pretty good season!

The park itself was a disgrace to be honest. Saw, Colossus, Stealth, Quantum and Storm Surge experienced extended periods of downtime - piss poor ride availability.

I find that a little harsh, IMO they more than made up for it by pretty much working on stealth all day to get it going for the last few hours of the season, with it being quiet they so easily could have left it down all day and no one would have really cared to much.

I find that a little harsh, IMO they more than made up for it by pretty much working on stealth all day to get it going for the last few hours of the season, with it being quiet they so easily could have left it down all day and no one would have really cared to much.

A 50+ minute queue as soon as it opened and a stampede to actually get in the queue shows people did care.

50+ minute queue was mainly a result of it being slow due to the problem it had... Would they have all gone to guest services and complained if it hadnt opened, a handful maybe.

Does anybody know what made Stealth open late btw?I have to admit, it seemed very very sluggish. Especially the first time I (with you guys) went on, and I was on one of the back rows with Mer9 and when it actually started going over I was still on my back Posted ImageBut also, it seems abnormally slow coming back into the station, did anybody else think that or is it just my imagination being so used to RITA at Towers?

Just a few words about hte event from me. I was VERY impressed.The park itself was a disgrace to be honest. Saw, Colossus, Stealth, Quantum and Storm Surge experienced extended periods of downtime - piss poor ride availability. Thorpe had not even bothered to take down any Fright Nights theming or tents which looked completely unprofessional and pathetic. The queues for pre-booked tickets were also unacceptable. However, the atmosphere was just so special. Probbably because it was last day of the season, but the staff were so happy, bantering with each other and the guests. Everyone was just having a great time and that is just pure and simply what is it about. As darkness fell, a park wide dj erupted on all the speakers. He did a fantastic job all right, firing up the crowd, keeping people informed of food discounts and playing some BANGING tunes! These suited the park so well at this particular event and created a magic atmosphere in the build up to the fireworks all around the park. Great work from Thorpe. The fireworks display itself was superb set to a great mix of songs, and the Truck finale was completely world class. What a great way to end what has been a pretty good season!

What day did you go? I went on sunday and (bar stealth which opened late) all other rides were open!I got a great ridecount -_-