Storm Surge

Marc

Nice pics y'all.Too bad they couldn't alter some supports to clear a pleasing way (if there could ever be to) X:No Way Out.

There is a path underneath it leading to x no way out (: the queue line goes through the gap to!I didn't go on this today :/ First of all because it looked busy, and since it doesn't have a Q time board ( :o ) I didn't bother! From the looks of it it seems pretty fun though! Also I didn't think thorpe was expecting such high numbers today.. All the restaurants (I think) closed early maybe due to lack of food (I think)

I thought I'd post an obligatory Storm Surge post. To be honest it was as bad as expected. The ride itself isn't awful but the fact its completely hidden No Way out, has support structure all over the place and the queue was astronomical left me with a sour taste in the mouth.As we got to the front of the queue the operator decided to announce that the queue was an hour. This prompted the majority of the front of the queue to shout "we've queued for 2 and a half hours you C words, and there was some F##k off shouted to.. well that was crowd opinion. At the front they decided to tip all the boats over on the loading platform to remove the water from the bottom of the boat. I can see this process being an utter pain throughout the season because unlike hoovering Loggers or Dragon Falls boats, it means the ride completey stacks up as two ride hosts awkwardly roll a boat around on the conveyor. Fastrack was being sold which probably didn't do the park any favours.The ride itself, well I love the lift hill. You could have a nice cup of coffee as you go up and the view of better rides such as Tidal Wave and Rush is rather splendid. Rather reminded me of Eclipse.. except Eclipse was faster. Eventually you reach the top and as IanNem described it, it's rather like going down a plug hole. I was intrigued that the spinning is basically forced by bits of velcro along the bottom of the trough and it does spin rather nicely. You reach the bottom and without any sensation you hit the bottom, sending water everywhere but the boat and thats your lot. Luckily for you Thorpe remembered this was supposed to be a water ride and added lots of jets for the queueline to soak you. For a few minures you amble back to the loading area, depending on how many boats have been de-waterfied, you may be sitting there for a good ten minutes, before re-emerging.It's a waste of a good opportunity and like Sonic Spinball, is totally in the wrong place in the park. Unless you get to the park early and get on Storm Surge first, avoid like the plague. As for the hillbillies, well instead of standing at the ride exit having a chat, how about you entertain the poor sods who have been queueing for 2 hours. Would be nice.3/10

The Queue is long dull and unbarable, you get a great view of blue and yellow for 2 hours and you have 10 minutes of entertainment at the water guns, then thats it no more! Pretty dull queue and it will be festered with yobish queue jumpers in the coming months because of its easy queue jumping position! The platform is dull and boring and for some people may find it hard to get and get off the raft! The ride:Longest ever lift hill, by the time you have got to the top you will now the other groups whole life story! The sticky pads help you spin on the way down and are great fun and releaves you of worry wether or not you will spin but thats about it for interesting stuff, more spining and more spinning then a dull ending! Just a long wait to get back to the station! for a minor ride its ok but will never be quite much like depth charge!

It looks awful, has blocked off X:/ completely and is fairly themeless, aside from the entrance sign, some station signs and the pipes and car. The queue was horrendous today - I waited 35 minutes in Fastrack after getting some passes from Guest Services.It IS fun though (as I expected). Worth a max. 20 minute wait. Can't believe how the station is though, I expected a roof at least!:o

There is a path underneath it leading to x no way out (: the queue line goes through the gap to!

I think everyone else understands my point, with the front of X awkwardly hidden behind ugly supports.The queue line was what, waiting for paint (looks like under coat), and serous work still needing to be done. God knows why it was so behind, it's a waterside!Audio is a fail too, only heard from the station and OMGzz, the Amity sign is yet to reappear!!The lift hill, really is epic through the square scaffold in the sky, waiting for it's inevitable marketing op!Did I laugh and enjoy it, yes. Would I queue 30 mins for it, no. Fastrack on such a sllooooow loading ride? What are they thinking?!Company during the day=jokes.

Quick "review" of Storm Surge!Theming: Naff :o they plonked a car there and some pipes, and the water guns etc, but it could do with more. But my expectations of Thorpe are that it will probably stay how it is!Ride: Overall it was fun, and a good laugh with friends, like Sheepie said. Also agree with him about feeling exposed on the lift hill - I felt a bit unsure at first too! It was a strange feeling! And the rollers feel weird!When you first start dropping it's slow-ish, calm...then you hit the spinny velcro things and whoosh! You spin quite fast, one point felt quite intense! I think all of us were pretty much laughing the whole way through!The drop at the bottom is pretty dull, then you get soaked by the water guns. Nice. Finally, you sit around a bit until another boat gives you an oomph into the station...and you get the good old fart noise to accompany! :oThe worst thing for me today was the queue, I expected 60mins at the worst, but what did we queue for? 2 hours and 20 minutes precisely. As Mark9 said, when we were at the front, the operator announced an hour queue which was clearly wrong, causing some anger with a group behind us! I can understand their anger but using the F and C words infront of families and children, I thought was disgusting and totally OTT.So overall, I found it fun and a laugh, it's something to do to pass the time, you get great views, like of Rush for example, from the lift hill, but it isn't worth a big queue. The most I would queue is 15 minutes. Hopefully loading procedures will speed up as they use more boats and staff become faster etc.

The tipping out water from the boats is a temporary solution until they get the water vacuums in.I always expected the positioning to look as bad as it does. It looks like someone put a bed in the middle of a bedroom at an awkward angle. It's just wrong! I like the station though and how you can look onto the station from the corner. AND that they have put down some lovely looking grass on the little seating area.

Storm surge is not the only water ride to experience shut downs with rain. Rumba is also prone to this if its fine drizzle as it blows into the sensors. This results in thinking the water level in the trough is too high, get too many of them and the ride shutsdown for safety reasons

can't really speak from the experience of a ride point of view but from seeing the photo's the ride looks awful and so out of place, should have been put in somewhere more hidden as the framework takes up so much space and in general the ride sticks out like a sore thumb, some of theming didn't look to bad but the queue looked awful to, my thoughts certainly haven't changed, wait till 2012 me thinks.

Thanks for those extra pictures Joel...http://www.themeparkmania.com/Galleries/Thorpe%20Park/Amity%20Cove/Stormsurge/Pictures/Storm%20Surge%20%2823%29.jpgThe positioning of the queue seems completely bizarre, and as already stated, very easy for queue jumpers... that's a massive expanse of tarmac in that photo too... looks bloomin' awful!EDIT: I spot from another photo there is some themeing as such to the left of that tarmac, some wood fence type things with rubber rings on!Also - the Youtube videos have started appearing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VAIWT44leMI love the "sped up" lift hill bit, my god, that is painfully slow! Some cracking leaks too....!

That video is great and certainly shows this rides flaws to be more than just some butt ugly supports and an unfinished flowerbed or two. It just looks horrible. Does look faster than I was expecting tho, how long does it take to get from the top of the lift hill to the splash pool? I will get down to Thorpe at some point over the next month or two but this thread hasn't created any sense of urgency!