Storm Surge

Marc

I'm actually quite surprised that some of the peopel who said 'crap' all together without giving it a chance are saying thigns like: ''The ride itself isn't that bad'' or ''It's actually a fun ride'' Etc. Goes to show how much prejudice the world has.

Just because a ride is fun with a group of friends doesn't mean that it is a good ride. X gets slated to hell and back and everyone seems to be clambering for it to get removed yet I never fail to have fun on it with TPM people. Anyway, most people don't hate the ride, it just doesn't suit Thorpe; terrible throughput, etc.

That video shows perfectly how we all feel. The roar of Colossus and it's mysterious yet catchy music.. then Squelch There's storm surge.Thorpe Park have really done badly with this one. Just put the semi fun experience to the side for a sec..As much as the ride looks terrible in the position is in, you would expect Thorpe to do some nice theming around the area.But no we get fake rust that makes the ride look even worse, The most pathetic queue line I've ever seen, Big leaks and a pathway that looks like it's had a few rides ripped out of it.. oh wait :)

I don't know if it is the epic Inception music, but that video makes it look quite fun! Still looks horrifically bad though, the huge metal supports, the old octopus garden fencing, the whole thing screams "budget".I really hope they spend the next week making this ride fit a little better, the Amity Cove area is one of the best themed areas in the country, would be a shame to see it ruined by this multicoloured monstrosity. Also, no sign of the Amity Cove sign, where is the uproar?!

That video shows perfectly how we all feel. The roar of Colossus and it's mysterious yet catchy music.. then Squelch There's storm surge.But no we get fake rust that makes the ride look even worse, The most pathetic queue line I've ever seen, Big leaks and a pathway that looks like it's had a few rides ripped out of it.. oh wait :)

I think this sums it up perfectly - such a contrast between it's neighbour Colossus, and it just literally looks like it's been plonked down in the park, and left wherever it landed. That path/tarmacing looks absolutely awful, I only hope it's going to get sorted this week. In the grand scheme of things construction wise, that costs peanuts - but it's a finishing touch that makes such a difference.That obvious leak in the video is a touch worrying already :D

Posted ImageIn this photo, you can see the ride could actually fit in with a bit of effort: - Trees in front of that big green shed - SORT OUT those leaks! and the big patch of building site underneath it :) - Turn the path through the supports into a themed tunnel? or just theming on the sides.I wonder if they plan to do some more to it within the next few years!?

Hey! storm surge is great, I havent been on whilst its been at Thorpe Park yet .. but have been on loads of times at Cyprus Gardens, I personally think thorpe park has themed it better, and it looks better than I thought it would, going to miss you storm surge! from all of america, but hope you settle in okay at thorpey!!

I love TPM's write up on Storm Surge.

Storm Surge is a Spinning Raft ride which takes riders up to an impressive 64ft in a rubber dingy,

and.

Will you join the hillbilly residents of Amity Cove and step aboard Storm Surge to try escape the raising waters of Amity?

Yes, but if I'd want to escape the rising waters, I'd go on Tidal Wave as it's lift is far larger and goes over the sandbags.

So, got on Storm Surge today.My view in a nutshell - I like it! It was fun, wet and just a good ride to do after lunch.Queue LineThe queue itself is pretty dull. Just round and back. Must say that the free water canons are a great idea! However, I never saw the queue reach that far to them. To be fair, people were still using them and obviously enjoying it - even if you have to wait a little longer for the pleasure of it. ;) Must say the queue is probably quite easy to queue jump, which is a shame. No theming really, but the themed signs and being able to see people splash down was enough to keep me happy really.AudioI could hear it, and I could hear the announcements. They're quite good, though probably need to be louder - you can't hear it underneath the lift hill because it is so noisy! Only when you're approaching the loading area can you hear it properly. Not really much else to say on that. ThemingWell, what to say about this? There's not that much there really - it's more subtle more than anything. There's the pipes just after the station, the little bits on top of the control cabin, the water canons...oh, the fire car too. Then there's the signage which is themed well too. Apart from that, there's not much going on. The ride itself has no themed relevance at all, the rust looks more like it hasn't been washed more than anything. It's okay, but could be better.AestheticsPig awful. The colours are terrible, they do not suit at all. The ride structure looks like a junkyard. It sticks out like a sore thumb compare to everything else. My friends straight out said 'It looks sh!t'. It would look nicer if greenery was added.Ride ExperienceWell, the boats are...different. Quite like the rubbery style to be honest - at least it's something different. Being whisked off the platform is a bit of a 'woah' moment. The lift hill - I love it! Getting a nice foot massage (unless you're at the 'back' where all the water will trickle down too..) is good. You get some good views too! I know some people say the lift hill takes forever, but I didn't find it too bad - it went much quicker than it looked I thought.Then, going down the slide. The Velcro attached to the slide, yeah, it looks tacky, but I'd say it's worth it! Starting off quite slow and just picking up pace and spin it just, wow. I really really enjoyed it. With the right people too, it's a brilliant ride. Even the leaks from above add to it; getting 'dripped on'. On our second go, we were even splashed down the slide (getting me soaked might I add!). We all had smiles on our faces coming down.After going through the little shower, it's surprising how wet the water canons get you! And both times, we had kids, no older than 10, on them. Of course, that meant one thing - NO REGRETS! They just soaked us - using the canons how they should be. Again, we were all laughing, whether it was with joy or anger though... ;) Then, just float around, and a minute later, your fine!So, overall, I really enjoyed this ride. We all agreed it was our favourite ride of the day. The queue moves quite fast too I felt, which was a bonus. HOWEVER, the aesthetics and lack of strong theming let this ride down. I really dunno how to rate this ride - I don't want to rate it too high, but every time I look back at how much fun we had, I just can't rate it lowly.7/10, but need to go on it again. ;)

Great indeed. Marc pointed out the fact the water guns are inside the half way point of the queue, which means on a dead day, or next season when the entire park are sqeezed onto the LC12 island.. Who's gonna operate them? Looks like they activate alone, but unless you hop into the queue line, they're unavailable.. Aren't they?

Well, what a disgrace of a new ride. I haven't even ridden it and I feel obliged to comment, just after seeing the pictures! Bearing in mind the principal of a theme park, yes, theme park (look out for a certain fanboy coming back with how TP isn't a theme park),you have to consider the overall experience to create a good attraction, it's not just about the ride itself. This attraction literally looks like it's on the fair circuit and has stopped in Thorpe for the weekend. It's not even attempted to be themed to fit into the amity area, infact, it looks just like Octopus Gardens, only with one ride, not 8 or so. Now, looking at the ride as a standalone (because that's what it is, lets be honest), it's an even more feeble effort at themeing than Saw: The Ride. Infact, it bears significant resemblance to Saw: The Ride. Fire Car/Police Car, no greenery/no greenery, little effort put into anything away from the station/little effort put in.... etc. The lack of anything green and overall effort does actually work for SAW, but certainly not for this. If this is supposed to be the second coming of tidal wave (essentially what a storm surge is), why is there not drowned buildings, destroyed paths, a re-themed mega store? Not only this, but this eyesore has been dropped straight in front of the entrance, so to greet every eager and excited guest, ready for the nations thrill capital is a ride that....

looks sh!t

I cannot find a redeeming feature for this ride. To me, a ride is more than a few drops and coming off and going that was fun. It's the overall experience, the ability a ride has to take you into a different world and make you truly feel lost in a visual, and sensual experience. The only world this ride will take anyone to is that of scrapheap challenge and I imagine this reflects the budget. I didn't think Merlins would ever fall intot he Rita trap, yet they've finally found something that gives X://NWO pride of place. I hope to god this ride only lasts a season or two, or atleast sees some heavy themeing put in place over the season. Lets take a look at Merlin's water ride heritage, just to show the ability they have to deliver excellence:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageAnd Thorpe get a true treat with:Posted ImageWe've all heard of six flags car park coasters... here's Thorpe's car park river rapids.