Storm Surge

Marc

Love it! :D Another thing about the Surge though, how comes they haven't added any plants or foliage underneath the main structure of the ride?! That area of sand and gravel looks awful and something they really should have thought about. Any more odds on them making that area look better for next season? ;)

Todays odds for this are - a Maxamillion to 1 :D

I think some pads have been removed rather than them wearing out, hopefully they will replace them though. Also noticed it seems to have some new boats with drainage now too ;)

This might sound like the thickest question on earth but I can understand how the Tidal wave boats drain and the rapids boats drain but how on earth are the Storm Surge boats meant to have drainage built in without allowing water back in?

This might sound like the thickest question on earth but I can understand how the Tidal wave boats drain and the rapids boats drain but how on earth are the Storm Surge boats meant to have drainage built in without allowing water back in?

That is far from thick; probably the opposite.The SS boats are basically oversized dingies, so how they can have a drainage 'system' if you will confuses me. Edited by JoshC.

With the tidal boats, they seem to empty as they go up the lift hill. I would assume that their is a valve system to stop water entering the boat when it is in the water. The rapids ride must have some space under the floor as the flotation ring lifts it fairly high off the water, although again I'm sure a valve system of some sort would still be needed. (These ideas could be wrong, just providing a suggestion).Not really sure what they could do with Storm Surge if not a similar idea.

after seeing storm surge for myself today I whole heartedly agree with the comments made it is an eye sore! The map shows huts but there none, the top of the ride looks awful and the mass of supports yes there is some theming but much more can be done it looks like a fairground ride dumped in the middle of the park.

• 2 weeks later...

The diagram below will show a rough idea of how the boats have a drainage systemPosted ImageIn the top image when the boats are the station/on the lift the ball moves down and the water runs out due to the air in the newer dual layer systemIn the bottom image when the raft is in the water the water pressure pushed the ball upward sealing the gap to stop the boats flooding, although in saying that its the best method as teh gap isnt sealed effiecently so the boats to gain a bit of water when in the trough, but is drained when not in the water!

• 1 month later...

Been to Thorpe Park about 5-6 times since it has been built and never been tempted to go on it. It looks absolutely terrible and cheap! Pointless addition, and the Thorpe Park bosses got lazy this year with a new addition. Why it was shipped over from Florida I have no idea.Reading about it, it sounds like you get soaked even before you start riding and makes it seriously uncomfortable when walking round the park afterwards. It belongs in a park like Typhoon Lagoon or Wet n Wild as Blizzard Beach has a brilliant ride just like this but it suits the park. This ride looks out of place, and the metal supports need to be hidden somehow as it makes the park look untidy.I'm sure I'll warm to it if I ride it, but until they tidy it up, theme it better and hide the supports I won't go on it

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...